You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Flipping The Switch

Real Ghost Stories

Flipping The Switch

 

I haven't been to the site much over the past year, usually only to read, never commenting. Life happens pretty quickly at times. The past year has flown by! I'm back and hope to be more active again.

My fiancée and I, along with our dog, have lived in our apartment now for about six months. Things have been great; it is nice to have our own place. We have noticed a few small occurrences here and there that tend to keep us on our toes.

My fiancée's grandmother passed away last January and my fiancée took it real hard. They were very close. At times, during the first few months at our apartment, my fiancée would feel like her grandma was in the room with her. During these times, I really didn't get that feeling. She would try to talk to her grandma and let her know that she is okay and that I'm taking good care of her now. These little visits went away after a while.

Our dog doesn't bark at all really. The only time she does bark is when we are playing. We keep her in her cage overnight and when we are at work, because she tends to have a few too many accidents in the apartment. While we are in bed late at night, I have heard her let out one or two barks out of nowhere. The barks tend to occur pretty randomly. Nothing vicious or anything like that, just like she is acknowledging something. Like I said, just one or two small barks and she stops. This is weird because she doesn't bark. Maybe in the darkness of the apartment she gets confused, or thinks she sees something. Once again, she doesn't really bark any other time, so it strikes me as strange.

After my fiancée stopped feeling like her grandma was around, she was good for a while. She tends to get really creeped out and scared. I remember this happening long before her grandma passed away. It feels like she is actually scared when this happens. When she felt like her grandma was visiting her, she was calm, not afraid. I don't know if it is just psychological or what, but it is definitely interesting. I just can't explain it. These aren't the only reasons why I am posting here today. One incident stands out in my mind today and still gives me the chills.

With the way our apartment is set up, there is one big room as you walk in through the front door. Straight ahead is the dining room and hall way leading to the bedrooms and bathroom, and to the right is the living room. All one big room. It is shaped like an L because if you go to the dining room and take a right just before the hallway, you walk through a doorway into the kitchen. When we are home, we are usually watching movies or TV in the living room on our couch. From the couch you can see the dining room and most of the hallway. We usually have our bedroom light on and the door open. Don't ask me why, but it is a comfort thing for my fiancée. The light of the bedroom reflects off the hallway walls.

We were sitting on the couch watching TV. It was a normal Saturday, nothing special. I think we were watching a comedy movie or something. Our dog was lying down right next to us sleeping. When all of the sudden, out of the corner of our eyes, we saw a light go off in the hallway. We both were frozen for a minute. Neither of us knew what to say, nor did we want to go check it out. Of course, me being the guy had to put my brave pants on and check it out. I walked down the hallway and the light in our bedroom was still on. Couldn't have been that one. Maybe we left another light on and the bulb burned out? We checked every one of the light bulbs, nothing. I started replaying it over and over in my head. We concluded the bedroom light was on, plus another light, and somehow the other light had switched itself off. Okay, good idea, let's try this out. My fiancée remained on the couch as I proceeded to turn every light on and off to simulate what we had just saw. We couldn't simulate it. We both tried, and just couldn't re-enact it. We tried every combination we could, the second bedroom light and the normal bedroom light, the guest bedroom light and the normal bedroom light, still nothing. We let it roll off our backs and didn't let it bother us, but I haven't forgotten it.

My biggest issue is that we couldn't re-enact what had happened. I think, maybe something walked in front of, or blocked the bedroom light instead, because remember our vision was based off the reflection off the hallway walls. Therefore, if you were to stand in the right spot, you could keep the light from reflecting off most of the wall. It could have passed in front of it so fast that we thought a light was turned off.

Then I think even more about what had happened. What if some floating light worked its way into our vision, without us noticing? Then it just disappeared. Kind of lame to think about, but it is the only other possibility. I try not to think hard about it because I really do get creped out. I don't know if it was paranormal, but combined with everything else that happens, it definitely could be.

Thanks for reading; I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Other hauntings by Kuhlmad

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kuhlmad, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
twelveam,

Thank you for the advice. I think I just might do that! Also, I have suggested the recording device in the apartment, but my fiancee' hates the idea. I think she has seen Paranormal Activity one too many times! 😆
twelveam (74 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Hi Kuhlmad,

I can see that at this point you don't know what to think. I would wait a few months or so longer and record any other phenomena your girlfriend or you experience, then do a comparison to the other occurences (dog barking, light flashing, etc...) if you continue to see any sort of pattern here, then it just may be "paranormal" but it sounds like its too early to tell yet!

Just a suggestion- you might want to set-up some sort of video recording device for a couple of days to cover the hallway 24/7. I know this sounds tedious but if you have the time and patience to review it, then you MAY find out something new about your apartment!
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Sceptic-Ari,

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great idea about the flashlight. I just don't think, with the angle, that a flashlight was the culprit. The only way I think that would work is if there was a three story building, as the houses behind us are tall enough to send a flashlight through the window onto the hallway wall at knee level! Awesome idea, I didn't think of that!

Clever210,

Thanks for reading! My fiancee' and I talk about it from time to time. She doesn't like to talk about it at night because it creeps her out... And secretly, it creeps me out too! Don't tell her though, remember, brave pants!
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Wow, that would have creeped me out so much! Thanks for sharing this experience with us!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Dear Kuhlmad,
I got one;
Let's say someone beamed a flashlight into your apartment? Not on purpose but maybe was out looking for something?Possible?
BTW, awesome narration. Hillarious as well as creepy 😨

Thanks for sharing...
Regards
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
lsandhu,

I'm glad you liked that comment! I was really hoping someone would! 😁

Our dog was sleeping, so I don't think she noticed anything. She was probably wondering what these crazy people were doing turning lights on and off, but definitely didn't see what happened.

We both definitely caught it. So weird!
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
"me being the guy had to put my brave pants on" - Love it! I may have to borrow that one. Did your dog react at all to this light thing? Just curious. If it was just one of you who saw it, I would chalk it up to a trick of your brain, but since you both apparently saw the same thing, there must have been something there to see. I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest. I guess you'll have to wait and see if something else happens. Keep us posted.
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Haha! I'm looking for anything at this point! Just a weird situation... Thanks for the help! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Kuhlmad - Thank you for answering my questions and the answers make perfect sense 😊.

So...not car headlights then. Okay, on to the next crackpot theory 😆 I'll be back when I have one LOL
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Hello Miracles!

My apartment is a second floor apartment. The only windows we have face a wooded area and the backyards of houses.

Also, the windows are small and higher up on the walls in the bedrooms.

I guess what I am saying, is if that would have happened then the light from the car would have been about eye level on the wall and the light we saw was about knee level on the wall.

We also have blinds on those windows that are never open, since it is hard to look out those windows to begin with, because they are so high up on the wall.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Kuhlmad - just a thought off the top of my head, but need some clarification first. Is your apartment ground floor or even second floor? Are there windows in the bedroom?

You said you had the lights on, so I assumed at least dusk. What I'm wondering is would have been possible for a vehicle to have driven by and the lights to have hit at just the right angle and caught your attention?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: