You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Ghost Corrupted Our Files?

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost Corrupted Our Files?

 

My story begins about a few days ago when my dad had a day off of work so we decided to spend this valuable day as a family and went to a place we had never been before - Oxford castle and prison.

It was used mainly as a prison from Medieval Norman times until 1996 where it is used as a hotel, but some of it was open to the public to view the prisons. Because my family and I are extremely interested in history, it was the perfect day out.

Our tour guide told many ghost stories about the castle. There was a piece of flooring that we could see that was covered with wooden floorboards but it was curved like a ripple in water. Apparently, prisoners would wheel a wheel in pairs to carry water up a tower all day and it left this imprint in the floor. Our guide said that sometimes you can still hear their rhythmic footsteps at work.

However both me and my father's favourite place of the castle was the crypt. Here, the monks and priests would pray around the medieval era. Our guide yet again told two stories of a ghost of a monk being spotted in the dark far corner. Also on the wall seemed to be the face of a whistling girl. He said that it was supposed to be the ghost of a seven year old girl that spent time in the prison for a week, and as she waited for her sentence to be finished, she would whistle a merry tune. The crypt was dark but very beautiful and well preserved.

After our little tour, and an exploration of the rest of the prison, seeing a padded cell and hospital ward, we decided to return to the crypt for a little bit of ghost hunting.

It was just my brother, Mum, Dad and myself down there. My dad has a very expensive and very professional camera and was snapping away to capture the beauty of the place, and to maybe get a few sneaky orbs or ghostly figures.

We didn't encounter any ghosts, but heard the footsteps of the ghostly prisoners still at work which was truly amazing. However, the real paranormal action only happened when we got back home.

The next day, my dad put the memory stick into the computer and me and him viewed the photos from our day out. We saw every single photo; however, when we got to the photos that were of the crypt, they seemed to have been...well, not there! There was evidence that the photos were there; however, it said that the files had been corrupted and could not be displayed. The only photos that were like this were the ones taken in the crypt.

All the other photos of the prison were perfectly fine, well viewable and, well, perfect. Fine.

We agreed that it was very spooky and that there must of been some sort of entity or entities trying to prevent us from seeing the crypt. Maybe an angry prisoner or monk who had a secret that they didn't want found out?

Whatever it was, it was spooky and we were very excited. Please, comment about what you think and thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by unknown_madness

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, unknown_madness, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AlmostSceptic (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
even the highest quality technology can be... Unpredictable at times. But taking lakotawinyans advice angles going back with an old Polaroid could be great idea. I may even try it myself.
Silver_Nighthowl (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-04)
It would seem that you are most possibly right about them not wanting you to see inside the crypt. Something either happened there or they do NOT want to be seen.
curious_sami (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-01)
sound like a fun day out 😉 well the footsteps are interesting, sure to get any paranormal enthusist excited, the pictures could be either messed with by faulty tech or an interfearing spirit but without any way to eliminate either it'll remain an interesting occurance... Great story btw... Peace an love *sami*
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+5
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Unknown madness I would not necessarily jump to the paranormal explanation right off the bat. I'm not saying it can't be paranormal but I know my wifes camera would auto delete pictures or they would show up corrupted (not all just some) with certain memory cards, so it is possible that what you all expirenced is just that.
unknown_madness (8 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
thanks everyone for your comments 😊
First, mechaxtreme, that sounds very similar to my story. I'm not alone! 😆
And LakotaWinyan, the story was that the 7 year old girl had stolen something and she didn't have a death sentence. She was released after the week was up. But I can't remember it well so she may of been killed, or simply released. But I think and hope she was released.
Thanks again for everyone's comments!
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
unknown madness,

Thank you for sharing!

Sounds like you and your dad had a blast!

Spirits are very good at making digital things malfunction. It's always best to use an old-fashioned camera that uses film. Those are harder for spirits to corrupt.

What's horrible is, what on earth could a 7 year old child have done so wrong to deserve to be imprisoned, awaiting a death sentence? That makes me so sad. 😢

Thank you for sharing.

LW
mechaxtreme (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Well, it is possible that a ghost/s did it. Based from my personal experiences, I too had encountered these things. We were snapping photos in our local cemetary just using our digicam. When we transferred the photos to our computer, some photos can't be opened. It says that the files were corrupted by a virus. I scanned the files with an anti-virus program and it didn't even detect a virus on those files. It was really weird.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: