You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Night Shift At Nursing Home

Real Ghost Stories

Night Shift At Nursing Home

 

This is my first time writing on here. This has to do with me working the night shift at a nursing home. There are a few stories that I have that I still cannot explain.

There are 3 floors in the Assisted Living area of the nursing home. PC (personal care) where all the patients needed full care, being helped with bathing and dressing, and then there was an assisted living area where only a few residents would need help.

The first story I am going to share was when I was working in the PC unit. I was folding the clothes to put them away when I heard a distinct call for help. It sounded exactly like one of my patients that needed full care. I heard her screaming help. I walked down to her room and she was fast asleep snoring away. So I brushed it off. A few minutes later I was folding clothes again, and I heard the same exact scream for help. I went to investigate but once again the resident was sleeping. I once again brushed it off as if I was hearing things. Once again I started to fold clothes and I heard it as if it were right next to my ear. I ran out of there and would not go back unless I had a co-worker with me. I still to this day do not know why she was calling for help, but she was asleep during this time. A few weeks later she was admitted into Long Term Living due to falling out of her wheel chair screaming for help for a half hour before someone heard her.

I have also seen shadows walking the halls in that unit as well, and hear walkers going up and down the halls.

Another story I have is in the same unit, an older gentlemen was always talking to himself in the room stating he was talking to an old friend, when nobody would be in the room. He would have conversations with himself about the old milling factory he worked at in his younger days. One night he woke up in a panic saying that there was a man in his room that kept waking him up. I told him that there was nobody there and that he needed to go back to bed. He was in a panic and would not return to his bedroom so a co-worker and I went to see what was going on. When we entered the room the lights started to flicker. I then started to believe him and had to wake up his wife on a different floor to calm him down and go back to bed.

This story happens on "First floor". It is part of assisted living. There was a gentleman who passed away a few weeks before I started to work there. He would go out nightly between 12:30 and 1am to go for a cigarette. He would use the elevator to go down to the smoking area right outside of "Lower Level". Now a little back story to the elevator it "dings" every time you press a button, like when you are opening a door or when the door opens it makes this dinging sound. EVERY time! Well after he passed we used to see his call bell go off and light up almost nightly. That stopped after another resident was living in that room. But every single night between 12:30 and 1:00 am we would see the elevator door open and close without making a sound, it would just open and close exactly 15 minutes later it would come back up to first floor and open and shut again without making a single sound. We all would just tell Larry to enjoy his smoke and when he returned we would welcome him back.

I no longer work there but friends of mine that do work there still tell me about Larry going for his nightly smoke and the shadows that roam the hall ways and the lights flickering.

I know this is a long story and I appreciate you taking the time to read this for me. I just wanted to share a few experiences that I've had and see if anyone can explain why I was hearing a plea for help and why Larry is still going for his nightly smokes.

Thank you very much for reading this

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, b3liv3r1990, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
I have worked in a nursing home for just over 11 years. Before that in hospitals for 14 years. The whole experience has been a real eye opener.

There are many people there suffering and slowly, crewly dying with dementia. They constantly yell out asking for help but when you go and speak to them they give you blank stares and say nothing. As soon as you leave the room they start again.

At the moment there are 2 in particular that have the same conversations day and night. It seems that they are re-living some pivotal moments in their life. I can confirm this because one of them is a relative of my stepmother and I get that confirmation first hand. The interesting thing about these 2 cases Is that as I said their verbal and physical behaviours seem to be on a loop, constantly recycling themselves and they are ALWAYS staring into the right hand corner of the ceiling when this is going on, ALWAYS.

From my minimal research this is lewy body dementia that is categorised by auditory and visual hallucination. In the recent past this could only be determined after death at autopsy where brain samples would show the presence of the lewy body.

This is what health care workers and the families of these tortured souls deal with. Your tax payer dollars go toward the care of these people too. These people led productive lives, had families, lived and loved, had dreams, fought in wars, welcomed grand children and great grand children into this world.

So please take time out to treat everyone with dignity and respect regardless of how they may be now. They have contributed in some way to your way of life.

And get ready for the next influx or dementia with the aging of the generation below mine that have done a lot of heavy drugs and already have severe to mild cognative problems. The level of dementia is set to explode expedentialy in the next 30 years.

I am not per say a "religious " person but a great quote now comes to mind " in god we trust."
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
I too would like to commend you for your work. I have a story coming up about my experience with my ex passing in a nursing home (hospice care in place). I spent many hours there and witnessed the varied types of patients being assisted with their daily routines, the compassion of the workers was extraordinary considering how hard they had to work and how patient they needed to be because of dementia related behavior and the helplessness of non ambulatory patients. Lol, some patients were just plain mean! Anywho... Because one of my relations could hear, see and feel dead people he let me know there were many residents still at the home that never left after passing, or were too confused to leave. I would not be surprised that you heard a residual "help", or a spirit calling for help, nor would it surprise me that Larry was still there going out for a smoke. People at the home out in the smoking area said that was their favorite times of the day, they could relax and enjoy themselves outside and forget why they were there. (many were there for physical rehab and quite alright in the mind but disabled from accidents, etc.) Thank you for sharing!
Isolde (guest)
+4
11 years ago (2012-11-11)
At lady-glow: what? Heaven a non-smoking place? What kind of heaven is that? Isn't the whole idea of heaven that you can smoke without the fear of cancer? 😉 😉 😉
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-11)
I would have to agree with Isolde and newhunter concerning the yelling. Having woken my husband (and myself) up yelling more times than I care to admit, it seems plausible.
I think Larry's nightly smoke is residual activity. With a residual type of manifestation, no real ghost is actually present. Residuals are a recording of sorts, imprinted on the environment. Residual haunts can be of an emotionally charged incident or of a regularly repeated incident, like Larry going out every night at the same time. Larry's consciousness is not present, he has gone on to his next destination, but his nightly ritual is continuing on in this realm.
Like others, I have to commend you for working in a nursing hime. It's a highly emotional environment and it must take a toll on the people who work there and dedicate so much of themselves to caring for the residents.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-10)
Hi I like your story, many care homes are the last port of call for some people and I can confirm that many unexplained events do happen in care homes. I would just like to point out that from my professional experience the man that was talking to himself was probably talking to himself, as many people in care do suffer from some degree of dementia/confusion, whether is is diagnosed or not. Many elderly people halucinate due to their varying mental conditions or medication, (hopefully not medication). A nice story and well written x
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Welcome to YGS.

I find your story fascinating and a little creepy, it must be unnerving to work on a place with so many unexplained noises.
As for Larry still going out at night for a smoke, I think it is because heaven must be a "non smoking" place. 😜
Argette (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I want to reiterate what Clever210 said: Thank you for the work you have done. It does take a special person to work in an elderly care facility. My mother is in one, as she has Alzheimers.

It certainly is possible that someone was yelling in their sleep. But I suspect you might have had sort of an aural premonition.

I know that some people in later stages of AD imagine people are with them. Or do they?

Thank you for posting.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I would lean toward the lady was yelling in her sleep, it is not uncommon that people do this. I am not saying it isn't paranormal I'm just not leaning towards it is, the lights flickering that I would lean towards being more paranormal along with the elevator. I think it is neat that you all just talked to Larry and didn't let it freak you guys out.
Isolde (guest)
+5
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Couldn't the woman have been screaming in her sleep? I know my daughter can scream extremely loud and when I go to check on her, she is sleeping peacefully or sometimes when I sit beside her she suddenly gives a loud yelp in her sleep and then continues sleeping quietly. Just a thought.
StMikal (4 stories) (37 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Wow that was a really good story. I have a family member that works in a retirement home in Philly. After I just read this I texted him to see if he has had any experiences cause he works the night shift. Thanks for sharing.
faith17 (3 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Very interesting story. So cute that Larry still goes for his nightly smoke. I agree with Clever that something was telling you that this woman was going to need help before the incident occurred.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
First of all, I commend you for having worked in a nursing home. It takes special people to do that kind of care for others. I was a home health aide for a few years and had to stop, because I could not deal with the emotional side of it. I'm empathic and it is very hard for me to go to places like hospitals and nursing homes.

That aside, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us. It sounds as if you may have some sort of ability since you heard this woman calling for help before anything actually occurred. Have you had further experiences, or did they stop once you left off working there?

~clever210

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: