You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Curious And Friendly Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Curious And Friendly Ghost

 

I will try to be brief and stay on topic but since this is my first post, please bear with me a little bit. This happened two weeks ago.

My boyfriend has been living in the same apartment with two of his friends for about 6 years in Gaithersburg, MD in a 60s style three-floor apartment building. Over the years that we've been dating, I've heard jokes and comments about 'the other tenant'. They all claim to have heard footsteps in the hallway and have seen lights being turned on while no one else is home besides the person who witnessed it. Even I have heard the door to the apartment open and close and heard steps in the hallway only to find that I'm there alone. Sometimes, I've felt like I'm not necessarily alone even when I am alone.

Two weeks ago, my boyfriend decided to paint his bedroom. After we'd moved the bed, dresser and a couple of boxes back into the room, I decided to spend the night since it was so late. I kept waking up with the alarming feeling that I was being watched. This happened on a Wednesday night and I woke up at least 4 times throughout the night. That Friday night, I spent the night again so we made dinner while his roommates got ready to go out; we decided to stay in and watch a movie instead. After they left, we cleaned up our plates, set the dishwasher and headed to the bedroom but stopped in front of one of his roommate's bedroom to read a note another friend had written on a white board. I finished reading the comment and was getting ready to make a snarky remark when the door suddenly opened completely; not fast or in a slow, creepy way but in a controlled, welcoming manner. We didn't know what to say or how to react; I just stood there with my mouth open and wild-eyed. At first, I thought maybe someone was in there joking around and I looked behind the door but no one was there. My boyfriend laughed and said, "looks like they like you, they're inviting you in". I nervously laughed and said, "Oh, OK... Well thanks but no thanks!" and closed the door.

Later that same night, after the movie was over and before going to bed we went out to my car to get my backpack with my sleep-over stuff. I glanced over at the roommate's door and it was closed, just like I had left it earlier. When we returned from the car the door was open again. My boyfriend kept trying to find an explanation for it; he suggested I hadn't closed it properly and that maybe a gust of air had pushed it open when we left the apartment. I told him that I'd be willing to accept that except their apartment is carpeted and the bottom of the door always drags against the carpet making it impossible for it to move with any sort of air. I also reminded him that when it opened by itself in front of us, there was no gust of air.

I've stayed over a couple of times since then and while the weird feeling of being watched remains, I have not witnessed any other activity since. My boyfriend seems to think it's a friendly ghost since its gesture was welcoming, not dismissive.

I've witnessed other stuff throughout my life but this one left me dumbfounded because it was so obvious and deliberate.

Thoughts, Suggestionsn or Ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Eiknujcisuma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Eiknujcisuma (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
MizMiMi02 - Interesting.

That's what I said to my boyfriend, that it felt like maybe it was child because of it's curiosity -- when I feel I'm being watched, it's never like someone's just standing there watching me... It often feels like someone is hiding behind a corner or a piece of furniture watching me, much like a little kid often does. My niece does that, she will stand behind the couch at my mom's and peek at people, play peek-a-boo, etc... And that's what it reminded me of when I felt watched. I will post more if anything else happens. Thanks again for reading and commenting! It's refreshing to have someone else besides my boyfriend to talk about this. He's probably sick of it by now and also because he has to live there.
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
Hmm, possibly a child scared of the dark. Maybe in life they needed the door open, so the light from the hallway could give them comfort. Just a thought.
Eiknujcisuma (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
MizMiMi02 - I've been trying to figure out a pattern with previous weird stuff and now this. No real pattern except it doesn't like that bedroom door closed? --
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
A demon? Really? I didn't see anything in the story that would scream that out. Care to elaborate on how you arrived at such a conclusion?
I think sometimes they are curious. There is someone new in a house that they used to occupy, and they want to know why. In the heat of the moment it's hard to believe that the spirit isn't threatening, especially if it's opening doors and such. I would suggest talking to him/her and letting them know that they are welcome to stay, but that you would prefer if they didn't do XYZ (whatever it is that bothers you). I have found that most times, it works. Keep a list of things that happen, and see if you can find a pattern.
flyclarinet (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
I would just watch what happens to make sure it doesn't eventually become malicious.
Eiknujcisuma (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-25)
Highschoolsweetheart - has anyone else in your home felt the same? It can be unnerving. I actually opened this account to find others with similar experiences and to hopefully find answers.

Hang in there.
Eiknujcisuma (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-25)
Hi all... Firstly, thank you for commenting on my story.

It happened again tonight. The boyfriend and I went out to petco and when we got back, the roommates door was open again. We can rule out that they came and left before we got back because they are both in NJ this weekend and don't return until tomorrow night.

No being watched feeling tonight, just coming back to the door to that bedroom open. It was closed when we left. I know because I checked before leaving out of curiosity.
highschoolsweetheart (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-24)
I am a teenager, and I live with my mum and step dad. I always feel as though I am being watched, and some nights when I'm home alone, I feel as though there is someone sitting next to me. I have tried talking, to see if anything is there, when I'm home alone and sometimes pillows will fly across the room. So I guess I do know what you are trying to say. Thank you for posting this story, because even though I am new to this it assures me that there are people out there that are going through the same thing. 😊 ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-24)
OP, from what I understand about demons they single out one individual to isolate that individual from the rest of the group. The demon doesn't reveal it's presence to anyone else in order to keep that one individual isolated. No one else is aware of anything unusual, if they notice anything at all they just notice one person acting strangely. That just makes the isolation more complete.
In your situation, everyone is aware there is activity in the home. Everyone realizes something is going on. There doesn't appear to be any "divide and conquer" strategy in place. You all know, and it seems everyone is sticking together just fine. No relationship bonds seem strained.
Nothing you've shared sounds demonic. It just sounds like a human ghost in the apartment has decided to make contact with you. I would guess the reason it seems to be paying a little extra attention to you is curiosity. The rest of your group is there full time, the ghost is used to them, knows their habits, they're used to it, probably don't much notice it anymore. You though, aren't there full time. The ghost has a limited amount of time to try to figure you out, and since you're not used to it, you notice it more than the people who live there.
Anyhoo, just my thoughts and opinions on the subject. To me, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.
milenko_necromancer (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
First, I'd like to thank you, Eiknujcisuma, for responding to me. The reason you list really does make sense. Anyone who has ever tried to look for something has realized that the hardest thing to find is the most obvious thing/the thing you are looking for. It is (in my opinion) the fact that you are paying special attention to the events that happen that there aren't any more recent happenings.

And to miracles51031-
The reason I bring up demons/demonic presences is because though the being has not yet tried to harm someone, it has done something that is highly characterized by the demon: doing something that would shock/scare somebody. And the fact that it (as Eiknujcisuma has said in her comment) seems to have targeted her is another trademark characteristic of the demon. Watch movies or read books about demonic possession, almost all of them that are "based on a true story" (not "this book is merely a work of fiction. Any person, place,etc. Involved that resembles anyone or anything in real life is purely coincidence") have some truth in them, like the demon singling out one person out of a group/family/etc. And another thing; in the words of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory "No one ever expects it to happen. That's why it does." People wouldn't expect it to be a demon. That is why I bring up the possibility of demonic activity.

Thanks for listening,
~Milenko_Necromancer
Eiknujcisuma (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
HI Miracles51031,

I'm not necessarly afraid per se. It hasn't been agressive nor has it been disruptive, just a little nerve wrecking to feel like you're constantly being watched.

It's singled me out for some reason. Although my boyfriend and his roomates have heard steps, etc, they haven't dealt with any real, in your face paranormal anything like this. My boyfriend is a little spooked but tries to keep an open mind. I'm more curious than concerned about what/who it could be.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
milenko_necromancer - what made you suggest a demon of some sort? I read this story and didn't find anything that even hinted at demonic activity 😕

Sometimes putting the thought of demon out there creates fear where there needn't be any.
Eiknujcisuma (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
Hi...

Nothing else has happened since. Maybe because I"m paying too much attention to see if something does happen? I still feel like I"m being watched, sometimes more intently than others. It's a bit nerve wrecking to be honest.

It does explain a lot though, I've had trouble sleeping at his apt for some time but kept telling myself it was because I was used to being in my own bed or that maybe I was developing a sleeping disorder. It looks like it hasn't followed me outside of that apartment because I still sleep soundly in my own bed and fall asleep pretty quickly.
milenko_necromancer (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-22)
Well, first off, I'd like to thank you for posting this story.
My thought was like your boyfriend's on the door opening while you were getting your backpack: that it was just something natural like a gust of wind, one of the other roommates coming back without you 2 knowing, etc. Then you said that the floor is carpetted. My bet is now that it is a ghost or demon of some sort. It hasn't done anything but watch you so far, which can't really be helped, as you are a new being to it's world and opening the door. So, really, it hasn't hurt you beyond making you paranoid to some degree. My suggestion is to research the area and more specifically, the premises of the apartment and wait for something else to happen.

Please respond to this and tell me if it has done anything else to you/your boyfriend

~Milenko_Necromancer

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: