You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Family Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

Family Spirits

 

My grandfather was a wonderful man, a tile setter by trade. He taught me how to set tile and paint. He also taught me how to drive and other life lessons as well. He had a heart attack and needed a pace maker when my daughter was a toddler. When my oldest son was just over 10 months old he had another heart attack which put him in the hospital for the rest of his life. My brother and younger sister were visiting at the same time as I was. Both of them had to leave the room for a few minutes. He became very restless and as I was going to hit the call button for a nurse he grabbed my hand as if it was a life line. He made me promise I would take care of my grandmother which I readily agreed to do. He died a few days later.

The day of the funeral I went to my grandparents house my grandmother walked up to me and sobbed and asked me what she was going to do. I told her everything would be okay because grandpa made me promise I would take care of her. I would call her at least once a week and visit at least once a month. Whenever she needed something fixed my husband did it. A few weeks after he died I started to have dreams of him having conversations with me but he would just walk away. These dreams would always happen right before I had to wake up for the day.

One morning I had the same dream but it ended differently. This time instead of just walking away he walked up to me and gave me a hug. I woke up and I was crying, my husband asked why I was crying. I told him about grandpas hug and he just held me and we both cried for a few minutes. Then my husband asked if I had perfume on. I told him no but he insisted he smelled something familiar on me. He went into the bedroom to get dressed and came out quickly and said he could smell the same thing in our room only a little stronger. I asked him if the room and I smelled like Old Spice, my grandfathers cologne, he got pale and said yes, I told him that grandpa must have really been in the room.

I got pregnant a few months after his death so sometimes I was scattered. If I didn't call grandma by Thursday I would notice that things I put down weren't where I put them. I would say okay grandpa I got your message I'll call grandma thank you. The same thing would happen if I didn't visit by the third week of the month.

When my husband was putting in a tile top counter he came into a problem and couldn't make the tile fit properly on the corner and was going to put it in diagonally which would have made the counter top look horrible. So my husband told me to come up with a solution. I said grandpa talk to me and after a minute or two I came up with the solution of filing down some tile down that wouldn't be noticeable and it worked.

One night close to the Belmont Stakes I had a dream and he told me to bet on the number 4 horse. I did so and won several hundred dollars, I would have won more but my husband insisted I play win place and show on the same horse.

My father in-law died just under two years later. So now I had a mother in-law to take care of also on top of 3 kids 6 and under. My father in-law loved me but he was a joker and we would banter back and forth while he was alive.

Activity from my grandpa had quieted down but my father in-law started to let me know he was around. Keys would be off their hook and we would find them on the counter. Or I would put something down on the counter and two minutes later it was gone. I would say okay dad put it back and I would find the items close to where they were placed. My keys would be on the wrong hook because he had to play a joke on me.

Other hauntings by RedWolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RedWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
::sniffle:: Curse these darn allergies. 😳

Thank you for this sweet and cute story.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-08)
Sweet story Redwolf, I can relate very well to those dreams about betting and winning... It amazes me how they know what's a head of time and give us the heads up to help us along... I believe when we dream, we ourselves are in a spiritual state of consciousness mostly confined to the boundaries of our imagination, but on occasions like yours, your Granddad validated more for you than just winning a few hundred dollars when you really think about it... Lol 😁
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
Redwolf: Great account you have shared with us here, I'm sure your Grandfather appreciates you looking after your grandmother, I like how he let's you know if your late at caling or visiting her, he seems like a very caring man.
I can relate to the love you had for him I lost my grandparents also, I do experience small things every now and then, it used to be quite a lot for approximitely a year or 2 after their passing but now not so much. Thank you for sharing.

Dan
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
Lovely story! Going into my favourites. This story reminded me of my grandmother and how much I really miss her, especially when I am having bad days. I remember laying on her lab and feeling all better. Had tears running down my face.

It is sad that WhiteWolf never got the change to meet his grandfather and great grandfather. They are special in a totally different way.
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
Lovely story! Thank you for sharing!

Gotta love these stories! They don't scare the crap outta me and leave me staying up, whining to my hubby that I'm too scared to go to bed. And he says, "Then stop reading them." lol. A couple other stories that were published recently with this one had me so freaked out, I couldn't reply, all I could do was hit the back button asap. I was just like, "Wow! I need to pray hard for these people!" and hoping to read a good, heartwarming story like this one! 😁

LW
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-25)
Thank you all for reading this. I could not respond last night because of my son WhiteWolfs post reminded me that he never did get to meet my grandfather or know his grandfather as he was a toddler when my father in-law died. It made me sad that he didn't know these great men.
As he said they are still around. My father in-law still drives me crazy sometimes but in a good way. Sometimes I can feel one or the other around. My husband was never a believer in the paranormal until he met me. There have been times when he is in a cold spot even when the house is hot and he'll ask me who was there. I will walk over and stand where he was and the cold spot will be gone so I tell him his father must have stopped by to say hello.
I have a similar story but that will be part 2.
I'm glad that this has brought back such good memories to the few of you who have taken the time to read my story and comment.
Thank you
Redwolf
highschoolsweetheart (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-24)
This reminds me of my great grandma. She used to always give me one lemon sherbert everyday I visited her. One day I came home to find one on the bench. Neither of my parents were home and I just knew it had to be my great grandma 😊 ❤
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-24)
I hate that I never had the chance to meet my great grandfather or my grandfather my mother (Redwolf) says that we would have been very close and I believe so by the stories that she has told me about them.

I know that they are still around since they would pull the same pranks on me by hiding stuff on me. I loved the story mom 😁.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
RedWolf: I really relate to this account, as my Dad always wore Old Spice...It's one way I know when he's around 😊...Funny how they'll remind you to do the stuff you're unintentionally forgeting, huh? 😆...Dream visitations are also one way my passed love ones come through... How cool!...

I agree with triden, it's great they're still around... Thank you for posting! 😊
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
Redwolf
I love this account. It reminds me of my mischievous guardian Charlie. It's great that both of these men still stuck around after they passed, they must have loved you very much.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: