You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Is The Cook Still There

Real Ghost Stories

Is The Cook Still There

 

When I was 13, we went to visit family on their farm. They lived in a town dominated by farms and the people were so nice. As we were in town the Saturday, my mother bumped into her eldest sister, who she had not seen for years. The reunion was a shock for them, but they were happy to see each other nonetheless. My aunt told us that they were having a party for her son at the army barracks, as he was going out of country with the army. We ended up going to the party. The barracks were mostly empty, lately, in SA, the army isn't such a big thing anymore.

The barracks had a small entertainment area with a bar and a braai area and a swimming pool. This was secluded from the actual facilities and rooms where the soldiers resided. Being typical kids, my cousin, my sister and I set off to explore the area. We knew we should not be snooping around, and ended up in a passageway we were not supposed to be in. We actually tried to sneak past a door and found a soldier in his room. We were sure we were in trouble, then my cousin piped up and said "we're lost, where are the bathrooms around here?" The soldier good-naturedly humoured the three silly girls and directed us to the nearest bathroom. We continued our snooping however.

We had gone down many a passageway, then somehow ended up in the mess hall. It was empty at this point. Then we heard noises coming from the kitchen. It sounded as if the Cook was having a fight with the pots and pans in the kitchen. There was banging, and things falling to the floor, being kicked or thrown so they hit the walls. We creeped up to the swinging doors leading into the kitchen, trying to catch a peek at this seemingly aggravated cook. My cousin pulled the door open just a crack, I tried to peek over her shoulder. My sister was afraid we would get into very big trouble, so she stuck to the back. Looking into the kitchen, the noises never stopped, but there was no one there. No objects moving and, more importantly, no Cook. I freaked out, I jumped up and grabbed my sister by her hand and started running. My cousin caught up with us within a few paces and we ran until we found the front foyer and the restrooms located there.

My cousin actually said she wanted to get her brother and go back, I refused. We went back to the party and pulled our cousin, call him "K" aside. We asked him if he believed in ghosts. He laughed at us and asked; "Did you meet the cook?" He told us that they had had a cook who had committed suicide in the kitchen years before. A lot of the guys had heard noises coming from the kitchen, but never saw anyone there. Of course, it makes sense that this could have been an adult's idea of a joke, scaring girls with made up stories.

For half of my life I have wondered if we actually had witnessed paranormal activity, or just had very vivid imaginations. But we all heard the noises, and neither my cousin nor myself saw anyone, or anything who could be causing them.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-03)
Miracles51031
I totally agree with you. Charlie, for one, found peace after a life of depression when he passed away. He committed suicide. With him, he came back because of me, and my family. He is now, they way I knew him before the depression hit. He is mischievous and happy, he gets his down moments, but not as bad as he was before he died.

I am convinced that some people just don't find the rest they saught when they commit suicide, and then are forced into the situation where they were so unhappy before they died.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
GreyFeather - I'm not sure I agree with your opinion on suicides, but that's okay. We all have our own and that's what makes us different and gives the o/p a variety of thoughts on their story.

I don't necessarily think that everyone who commits suicide is happy with the decision they've made. I think some people regret that decision as soon as the act is final. Other people, who may have been searching for "the ultimate high" their whole lives and finally found it, may not have meant to commit suicide, but did.

So I think in situations like those, yeah, maybe they would still be hanging around.
GreyFeather (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
Sometimes I wonder if the suicides were really a suicide. If the person really wanted to die, they wouldn't still be here, hanging around, upset. I sometimes think their soul is not at rest because they were killed. I could be wrong, but think they want people to know they didn't want to die and it wasn't as it appeared to be.

Anyway, another thought I have is "Why do ghosts always haunt the kitchens?" I understand you said he was a chef, but wouldn't he haunt other places-like his bedroom, bathroom, livingroom, family's house? Even haunted places I've been-it's always the kitchen. Maybe it's because we're fattys and that's where we always are.

Love your stories. Thanks for sharing!
aoife (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
First of all, very inteesting second of all I don't like cheese LOL 😁 😁 😁
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
Unexplained
We told him about the noises in the kitchen, with no person to make the noise. So he then told us about the suicide. I still wonder though, why the cook stuck around, judging by the level of noise he was making, he was really angry.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
When you got back after your experience, how much of it did you tell 'K'? Did you reveal most of your story first, or was it 'K' mentioning the cook's suicide?
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
Shlain
That's an open question. Because I don't remember the noises stopping when we ran. Mostly I think he must have known we were there, but I guess it will remain an unanswered question
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
Interesting! It reminds me of a time in High School. Every day there was a girl (who was in my class) that practiced the piano in our school's hall. She was there early in the mornings and I would go stand by her as she practiced. One morning as I entered the cafeteria I heard the piano playing so I went to the hall. As I entered I saw it was pitch black inside and the music stopped. Naturally I freaked and bolted.

Do you think the spirit was aware of you?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: