You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Radio Une

Real Ghost Stories

Radio Une

 

I don't know how one starts telling one of these tales so I'll start with a little information about me. I have always been susceptible to the atmosphere of places. Usually that just amounts to "feelings" such as menace in one of the rooms of my grandmother's house, extreme sadness in a house my parent's were thinking of buying or warmth & comfort that some places exude. When I was about 8 years old I regularly saw the figure of a man standing in the doorway between the kitchen & dining room of our house but I wasn't scared, I just had that uncomfortable, someone is watching type of feeling. I found out later that Mum used to see him too. I also don't like crowds I don't like the mix of feelings I get from them.

The story I am about to tell occurred at the University of New England in northern NSW in the early 1980's. I had a friend who used to do the late shift as a DJ at the uni radio station & she invited me & my then boyfriend (now husband, we'll call him J) up to the station one night. The station had an extensive record library on vinyl & we were intending to make a night of it transferring our favourite music onto cassette tapes.

The radio station consisted of a rectangular office area with 2 glass walled transmission booths (Studio A & B) down one long side. The door to the record library was on the other side of the office opposite Studio B. My friend G was on-air in Studio B & J was in Studio A making tapes. I went into the record library to select the music I wanted but I couldn't concentrate. Every time I turned to face the shelves of music I kept getting the feeling someone was standing right behind me, I ended up turned sideways trying to watch the room with one eye & read album titles with the other. It was so uncomfortable that I gave up & went to sit with G in the broadcast booth where we chatted between her commentaries.

From where I was sitting facing G I could see the whole of the office behind her, the door of the record library opposite & to my right was J in the other Studio. At one point I was talking to G & I saw J get up, exit Studio A, walk from right to left across the office to the record library. Immediately after he went into the library a figure crossed the office in the opposite direction & seemed to enter the booth J had just left but disappeared behind one of the timber frames holding the glass. I was a little startled but thought perhaps my eyes were playing tricks. A little later J came out of the record library with his latest batch of music to record. As soon as he went back into the radio booth to my right, the figure reappeared crossed the office & went into the record library. My impression was that it was a young male dressed in blue but then any apparitions I see do tend to be blue.

All this was happening right behind G as I was talking to her. I'd decided not to say anything as she was regularly at the station from midnight onwards & I didn't want to frighten her, however something in my face must have given me away. Her reaction surprised me though, she just said "Hah! You saw something didn't you? I knew if there was really something here you'd see it." (We'd had a bit of a discussion about ghosts one night). I admitted it & told her that I didn't feel any menace from the figure just uncomfortable & she seemed happy with that. She certainly didn't give up her late night slot on the radio.

The other interesting thing about this incident is the way the figure seemed to run away from J. I have always felt very comfortable around J. It's a bit like the way ear protectors muffle sounds only he seems to block out the uncomfortable feelings & nagging awareness at the edge of my mind. He has always said he would love to see a ghost but never has, I don't think he ever will. He once did an experiment for a parapsychologist at uni, one of those guess the card I'm holding trials (star, wavy lines etc) & scored so poorly that it was statistically significant. I think his mind is so subconciously anti paranormal that it won't allow him to be aware of anything. Does anyone out there know someone similar?

Other hauntings by catweazle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, catweazle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

catweazle (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
Argette thanks for your comment (& the compliment of making my story one of your favourites)
catweazle (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
lsandhu, my theory on his score for the parapsychology testing is that he is actually very sensitive (he often voices things I am thinking at the time) but is so against the idea of it that he subconciously rejected the information he received clairvoyantly. Thus he answered fewer answers correctly than would normally be accounted for by random chance. (ie statistically he was significantly outside the norms for this experiment) I think this rejection of the paranormal is so strong that it somehow repels ghosts. Despite the fact that he says he would really like to see a ghost, he is a sceptic. I find that very funny considering who he married 😆.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
What a great story! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it. I worked at three different radio stations, often on the night shift, and while I had some odd experiences, none were supernatural.

Yes, it does seem as though the blue figure was repelled by J. Or maybe threatened in some way. That's an interesting twist. I am looking forward to reading other comments.

Thanks so much for scaring me! This is going into my faves STAT.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
Interesting. So it's your theory J actually repels the paranormal and that's why the spirit could not stay in the same room with him? I'm curious how he could have scored so poorly on the parapsychology experiment that it was statistically significant. I should think if he did repel the paranormal he would at least score in the range for random chance on tests such as guessing a card you can't see. If you have any other information about the testing he did, I'd be interested to hear about it. I do feel as though I have some sensitivity, although I've never scored any better than random chance on the (totally unscientific online) tests I have taken.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: