You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Shadow Man In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

A Shadow Man In The Night

 

This story is the first ghost encounter that I can remember and that I know actually happened. It happened in the neighborhood I grew up in, Riverside in Duluth, Minnesota. I'm trying really hard to remember how old I was but I only know I was probably around the ages of 8 or 9 years old. My sister was probably 3 or 4 and she remembers this. She reminded me about it years later and I'm glad she did because I had forgotten about him. When it first happened it was the middle of the night so everyone was sleeping. I shared a room with my sister, my parents room was right next to ours and my brothers room was down the hall. Our door was always kept open when we went to sleep so we could have the hall light on for a nightlight. 

When my parents went to bed though, they would turn off all the lights. Now that I look back on it, I think there's a reason why mostly all children are afraid of the dark. I think they have every right to be. Anyways, it was the middle of the night and pitch black, with only a little moonlight so that I could see a little. I don't know what time I woke up and I don't remember why I did but I looked over into the hallway, and right next to my parents closed door was a shadow of a man. It was darker than the dark, I could see the shape of it perfectly. If I told this story to people they would probably not believe me and think that I was just seeing the dark and maybe that would be true if it didn't move. 

I called out, "mom?" Not knowing who it would be if it wasn't her or my dad, it couldn't be my brother either because he was just a boy and this figure was a man. It was right in front of my parents door, like it was about to go into their room. As soon as I said mom though, it turned its head and looked at me. I was sitting up in my bed now and as soon as it looked at me I knew it wasn't a person. 

Then very slowly, it started walking towards me. It got closer and closer and I became more and more afraid. Before it reached me, I dove under my blankets and covered my head and did not come back out. I could feel its stare. I must have stayed there until I fell asleep because I don't remember anything else happening. 

This happened again for maybe about a week but then I never saw it again, at least not that I can remember. The same thing happened every time too, he would be at my parents door, I would always wake up right when he was looking at it and I would always call out "mom?" even though I knew it wasn't her. I think I had to say it just because I hoped it would be her. Then he would look at me and walk towards me, and I would hide under my blankets. I was never brave enough to not hide, it scared me really bad but even though it did I do not feel like it was evil. Just scary. I feel like if this shadow man was evil, wouldn't he have done something to me? Or tried to scare me more or something? And he never approached me until I called out. He wasn't there for me but he knew I could see him. So it makes me wonder, why was he there? Was he there for my mom? For my dad? I just don't know. I never asked my parents if they ever saw him, maybe I should. 

Thanks for reading my story and feel free to ask me any questions or leave me comments if you'd like. 

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Believe_1234, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Believe_1234 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
To crystalbell1: Thank you very much! It means a lot that people like my story and that I have found people who have had something similar happen to them.:)
Believe_1234 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
To argette: Yes, I think I will ask my parents about it, I'm not sure if my dad will believe me but it's worth a shot. Really? Yeah, it's crazy the strange things that have happened to you, especially the ones you forget about and them remember later on.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
By all means, ask your parents about any experiences they may have had! You might be surprised what you find out.

Growing up, we lived in a house with six upstairs bedrooms. One of the rooms scared us all, but we never talked about it until we were adults, and the house was long behind us. It was amazing what I learned when we started talking about it.
crystalbell1 (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
Thanks for sharing this story! And I agree with Isandhu. I'm also favoriting this!
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
You might be interested in my story entitled Three Strange Silhouettes or Shadow People. I believe if you click on my name it will take you to a link to the story. I only saw the shadow people once and I never have figured out why, who they are or what they mean, although I've done lots of research. I don't blame you in the least for hiding under the covers and I wholeheartedly agree with your statement "I think there's a reason why mostly all children are afraid of the dark. I think they have every right to be." Personally, from all I've read, I don't think shadow people are here to harm us. If anything, they are more likely just observers. That's just my impression. I will be linking this to my favourites as it is just these types of stories I am here looking for. Thanks for posting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: