You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In The Fields

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In The Fields

 

This story was told me to me by my father who's own father lived in a remote village in uttar pradesh.

My grandfather was an advocate who lived in a village and often had to travel to the city for cases, the cities were all at long distances from the village and about a day's drive away. So when he needed to return he would take a bus that would drop him at the nearest bus stand to his village that could be about 10kms or so away, the rest he would have to walk.

Now my grandpa was the very typical Indian man who always had 3 things with him: a long bamboo stick to ward off animals or any sort of trouble, a pair of scissors and a talisman around his neck.

On a full moon night he was walking home around 12:30 and villages get very deserted around this point of time and he was pretty much walking along on fields on a dirt path to his village which was a few kms away for which he had to take a left. Now beyond these fields lay a mango groves, and beyond the jungles.

Now lemme tell you this fact that mango groves are extremely shady and haunted places according to Indian lores with tall trees very little sunlight during the day dank and dark. People are strictly not allowed to enter these at night.

Now suddenly my granddad realises that a few yards before him a woman is walking as well, initially he just felt that ok there's someone there as well, but then it struck him that in India women back then would seldom get out of their houses after sunset and this was past 12:30 in the middle of nowhere, he just thought that this woman was not quite right, suddenly he noticed that he had unknowingly passed the left to his village and was following the woman and then he saw that she is walking into the mango grove... He realised she was taking him there so he immediately took gods name and said "la haul wa la quat" which is supposed to ward away evil...

As soon as he said these words she turned around to look at him and said and I'll quote like my dad quoted to me "galayi se gathaee hathaeen tho hum hathaeen." That's the common village language they call dehaathi in English it means "remove your talisman from your neck and I'll show you." He was a man with some guts he just turned around praying chants and walked back to his route calmly.

Other hauntings by Alaviya

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Alaviya, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fariya (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-11)
allesgute 154:The posting for stories is going to open on next monday:)
miana16 (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-23)
oh the same exact thing happened with my mum but she is deaf so she wasent able to chant prayers you can read this (the name of my story is 'The women in the field.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
allesgute - the submissions page should reopen Monday. That is completely in the hands of site administrators, though.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
Just one query for the moderators here. When is the posting for stories going to re-open? I'm sure a lot of people would be looking forward to sharing their stories... And people like me, wanting to read them.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-04)
Alaviya ty for sharing. Wonderful story and almost scared the crap outta me!
Jessamine (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-04)
Ur Granddad was really brave 😊.He has trusted the Almighty and did the right thing
Eram (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-02)
Alaviya! What a great story about grandpa you said... There is a similar incident about our maternal granpa also...
Alaviya (2 stories) (15 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-01)
Some people really have guts like my brother he has had a couple of brushes which I will write about as soon as they reopen the story submission page and loving the feedback thank you guys
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Alaviya - when I got to the part where she said remove your talisman and I'll show you, I was like "Oh crap!" She actually scared me LOL.

Great story, thank you for sharing it 😊
guy123 (2 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Talismans are really effective and would work to avoid such encounters. Suggest that everyone should have one
Alaviya (2 stories) (15 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Oh and talismans are basically to protect you from anything bad negative basically harm of any sort
Alaviya (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Ty guys so glad you liked it, yes the mango tree is supposed to be very large and it's canopy is very thick thus it doesn't let much sunlight penetrate through it and spirits prefer darker and damper areas... Also he always had scissors cause of 2 reasons which are 1 you never know what may befall you and 2 iron has been proved to be a metal that is not originated from the earth it has just settled in to our planet while it was being made and they say that spirits or anything bad to not approach this metal for the same reason in many cultures of India a bride is never left alone in a room once she is dressed and she always keeps iron near her like a knife or the sort
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Good! And very common in the subcontinent.

My sincere advise to all people having such encounters is to be THAT strong and trusting in the Almighty. Then no harm can befall, no matter what
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
An excellent story, Alaviya. The only problem is that I wanted it to go on for longer. 😊

Just one question. I didn't realise that mango trees were seen as places that are haunted, especially at night. What is there amongst these trees that make it forbidden to enter them? Do they shelter bad spirits? How do Indians view the fruit in such circumstances?

Was the talisman designed to protect your relative from such spirits? Also, what were the scissors for?

There is an old tradition in the UK, long forgotten now, where the willow tree was something that you never use as furniture in your house as it brings bad luck. Many years ago, the willow tree was used to hang criminals and it was never used, even for firewood. If you did use it, it would bring very bad luck.

Your mentioning of the mango tree reminded me of this. 😁
guy123 (2 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
It's really thrilling to read your story. I too heared similar stories and these incidents happens quite often in Indian villages.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: