You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Suddenly Cold

Real Ghost Stories

Suddenly Cold

 

I had heard of cold spots when a spirit was present, but I had my doubts as to whether or not this was true. Now, I believe.

My mother passed away a little over a year ago, in early November. I reside in Lubbock, Texas, and my mother and sister were in Joplin, Missouri.

My mother, 92 years old, had been in declining health for several months. My sister called to say our mom had taken a turn for the worse and had only a few hours to live.

Later, in the afternoon, one of my sister's daughters called and said my mom was immobile and unable to speak; but she responded to people speaking to her by moving her head and raising her hand. My sister's daughter asked me to speak to my mom and put the phone to my mom's ear. I told my mom that I knew she had been suffering, and if she wanted to move on to her next life, that was alright with me. But I told her to wait for us, and we would all be together someday. My niece asked me to call back if I could think of more to say.

I was home alone, sitting in front of the computer. Although I had told my mom we would meet again, my faith wasn't very strong, and I had my doubts about this being true. I wished for some kind of sign to let me know I would really see her again someday. I kind of shushed that thought away, thinking that would be too much to ask.

It had been a nice day, sunny, with the temperature around 70 degrees. No cold front was predicted. While sitting in the computer chair, I remembered I had sent a letter to my mom a day or two earlier. That was something I could call back to say.

Suddenly, I felt cold, as though the temperature had quickly dropped. Not freezing cold, but very uncomfortably cold. Usually, if the temperature makes a sudden drop, there is a reason. I was confused, because I wasn't ill, no cold front came in, the doors and windows weren't open, and the sun was still visible. I got up and put a jacket on, but that didn't seem to help. I then turned on the central heat, and a few minutes later, I wasn't so cold. But never in my life had I become suddenly cold for no apparent reason.

I called back and was told that my mom had died several minutes earlier. It finally dawned on me that the coldness occurred about the same time my mom had died. In my mind, what I had wished for (or prayed about) had been granted. I received a sign that my mom had lived on, and I was reassured we would meet again someday!

About two months later, my daughter, 21 years old, dreamed she was sitting in my mom's former house, with my mom sitting in a chair nearby. My daughter knew my mom had died, so she was confused as to why my mom was there. She asked my mom how she had been. My mom replied, "Oh, you know, just enjoying my time off". My daughter kept staring at her, because she didn't want her to disappear. My daughter then woke up, cold and shivering, although her bedroom wasn't cold.

I'm glad my daughter related this to me. I felt it added credibility to my experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, branson65, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
branson65: Sorry for the loss of your mother losing a family member is never easy. I'm glad you and your daughter did get to experience something to let you know your mum is still watching over you all. These are the accounts that I tend to like the most, the subtle and simple but no denying accounts, Thanks for sharing. 😊

Dan
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
First of all, sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose someone you love.

Secondly, your story brought tears to my eyes. It was a lovely and touching story. You mentioned that although you wished what you said to your mother was true, you didn't have much faith. I say that the little amount of faith you did have was enough for your mother to come and say your goodbyes to you and comfort you.

As for what your daughter experienced, I think your mother was making her rounds to the ones she loved. Since you and your family wasn't with her when she passed, she decided to come and check up on your family.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
This is a very touching story and sorry for your loss. I have lost both my parents and just recently posted a story about a music box. Not all paranormal experiences have to be scary and frightening.

I also liked the fact that your daughter dreamed of her grandmother. Many times, it is the easiest way for a loved one to come through to us. I have had many dreams about my mother.

Good luck to you and know that there are people, lots of people, who believe as you... That we do all meet again one day, me included.

Zeta.
Gary25 (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
I'm not going to say that isn't scary, since a cold spot when it's like 80 degrees outside, and stuff moving around inexplicably with that cold sopt (s) is 2 common occurences, but a lot of other ghost stories I read had creepiewr stuff in them. Good story nonetheless though. 😐
rockangel13 (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
Dear branson65,

That was very touching. I feel sorry for you and your mum. Just keep in her in your memory forever; she might have not meant any harm.

Rockangel13
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
Very well written, I was saddened and so moved by your story. Your mum was letting you know she would always let you know when she's around. Thank you for sharing.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
Dear branson65, that was really a moving experience and made you feel the presence of your mom even after she passed on, which was also confirmed by your daughter's experience. I am sorry for your loss. Nice narration and thanks for sharing. Real love lives beyond life and death.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-05)
branson65
My husband doesn't really believe in ghosts or the paranormal, but he knows that I do so he doesn't dismiss it. One day in the summer of 1999 he walked into a cold spot. He asked me who was there because where he was standing was freezing. I walked over to where he was the cold spot was gone except for that part of the floor was colder than the rest of the floor. I told him it was probably his father just stopping by but to be sure check for moved items. His father was a joker in life and he moved things many times since he died. Sure enough awhile later I noticed he moved the salt and pepper shakers.

Red
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-04)
That is really very very touching; thank you so much for sharing it here. Generally, it seems that if you ask for one, there will be a sign.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: