You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: New Mexico Ghost Car

Real Ghost Stories

New Mexico Ghost Car

 

I swear to God the following story is true, and happened to me in about 2002.

I was driving through New Mexico around 2 am or so one night on a remote section of I-40 heading west. I had the cruise control set at about 88 mph and there had been no cars anywhere in sight for some time.

I was traveling in the left lane where the pavement was smoother. Headlights of a car appeared in my rear view mirror. The car was slowly closing on me, so I moved over into the right lane to let them pass.

As the car passed me, I looked over to see who was "out speeding me". The car was a basic 80's four door sedan, white, and I could not see anything inside it. As the car passed, I looked at the license plate to see where "they" were from. The plate was sort of "blurry" as I recall, and I could not tell what state it was.

After the car passed me, it moved over into my lane and then started to slow down. This forced me to break my cruise speed (and really annoyed me). So I moved into the passing lane, and hit the gas. When I had passed the car by 15 feet or so, I checked my side mirror to assure that there was "just enough room" to cut back in front of him.

As I was changing lanes, the lights of this car disappeared. It totally freaked me out, and I immediately let off the gas, looked everywhere behind me, but the car had vanished. I stopped my car, and got out to listen and look more.

It was a moonlight night, flat open desert all around, no sound, no dust, just absolute stillness. There is no logical, physical place that car could have gone, it just disappeared.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wyatt13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
Such a brilliant story.

I really enjoy reading about ghost cars and road ghosts.

Do you regularly use this stretch of road and would you ever go back if not?

Thanks for sharing, this is going in my favourites!

Lakota73 😊
SRCO1 (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
I have driven that remote stretch on I-40 heading west at night/early morning many times during the late 90's and early '00's. Whereabouts were you on that desolate road?

I've had a similar experience but I never really saw the vehicle, only the lights, then suddenly lack-thereof upon passing. Scared the crap out of me for a moment but gave me enough to wrap my head around so I could make the long drive into Arizona. I still don't know if what I saw was real, but then again, that IS a strange stretch of road in our country.
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-13)
Well that made my hair (or what's left of it) stand on end!
I don't think there's anything silly about the idea of a paranormal car. There are a lot of stories from all over the world about ghostly cars, trains, boats and even aeroplanes.
When my Dad did his national service in Germany after the war he heard numerous stories of a plane that was seen falling out of the sky on fire. This event repeated over and over, was probably a residual haunting or some ssort of time loop. As for this car, I don't know but it really did creep me out reading about it.

Gargoyle
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-12)
A very interesting experience. A shame you couldn't read the number plate, that would've been interesting. Perhaps its ghostly occupants kept those details from you so that you couldn't do some research after your journey, assuming that spirits tend to appear where they choose to and pick who sees them.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-11)
I love this story! What could be more scary than being in the middle of a deserted highway and another vehicle just disappearing. Wow... A ghost car. I like to think it was a "James Dean" type who was caught up in a time warp. Anyway... Thanks for sharing.

Zeta.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-11)
CHRISTINE- I'm sure you've heard this before, but it bears repeating...

If you're trying to advise someone, and you pepper your "advice" with comments on the individual's intelligence, sanity, motives, ancestry, what have you, they tend to shut out whatever you have to offer.

Just a thought.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
Gary25 (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
A ghost car?! People NEVER tell people those kinds of stories nowadays. I'm glad that some people still have the decency to tell a story about something that sounds a bit silly, like that.
Wiz (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
Morning all

This is quite a creepy story you a brave guy if you got outta your car I wouldn't of but hey we are all different! This story reminds me of something I see on TV show, Fact or Faked, I believe it was called, I found the same footage on Youtube check it out

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_eIsxLalA

Wiz
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
Cristine
While everyone is thoroughly entitled to their own opinion, try and remember that human nature consists of a high level of curiosity. The o/p may very well have felt more curious than scared at the point when they stopped the car. As a human race, we all have the instinct to investigate, and, more often than not, in a frenzied state, to do the opposite of what a rationally thinking person would do. Horror movie cliché "someone's in the house, but instead of running out the door I go up the stairs".

Just my two cents worth

Wyatt13
Great story 😉

Triden
Composerman (33 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-09)
Wow - scary account, I have always been interested by 'ghost machines', and how they are seemingly able to manifest! Thank you for posting!

Cristine - I love the fact that you share the name of Stephen King's possessed car, but probably best you tone down your posts because to be honest, they contribute nothing contructive to the discussion. Cheers!

This comment from Cristine is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Hello Wyatt13, even I would have freaked out had I underwent such an experience. I could realise how you would have felt at that time. Nice creepy narration and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Very creepy, very good story! I must say, I would have freaked out on this one. Thanks so much for sharing it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: