You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Childish Pranks By Our Invisible Tenants

Real Ghost Stories

Childish Pranks By Our Invisible Tenants

 

Since 1995, I live with my husband and my in-laws in a rather large bungalow in Karachi.

The building is not very well maintained, and the number of visible inhabitants (my mother-in-law, father-in-law, husband, sister-in-law, brother-in-law and their two kids) does not justify its size.

The building makes a rather sad impression, and its inhabitants are at constant loggerheads. We had found some strange taweez (amulets), nails, and whatnot. There is a big persimmon tree in the backyard, and there was also a tamarind tree.

In this house, it often feels like someone is hushing around, but when you look, no one is there. Sometimes it gives off an immensely sad feel, sad enough to make you cry, and at other times, it feels so creepy that it makes your hair stand.

The people living in this house might have their set of differences, but they are all sure that there are some 'others' living as well. As for my gut-feeling, 'they' are not evil, just a bit naughty. They just want to live there, and there should be nothing wrong with it, After all, 'they' also have got right to live somewhere.

Usually, they do not make their presence felt, but there were some incidents that were definitely not caused through any human occupant:

1) The missing shoes

Before entering any of the carpeted rooms (bedrooms and drawing room), we usually take off our shoes and leave them in front of the door.

One day, I had gone into my bedroom, and when I came out, my shoes were gone. I looked under the couch in front of the room, but they were not there. I looked near the kitchen, but they were not there. I looked in the remaining rooms of the house, but the shoes were gone. I was a bit irritated, and thought that maybe the kids had hidden them, but they were not even at home.

I resumed my search, and finally found my shoes... In the cat's litter tray!

After cleaning them, I placed them in front of the bedroom door. When I came out again, I found only one shoe. The other was missing again. Feeling that 'someone' was being naughty, I went to the litter tray, and there was it! My missing shoe. I cleaned it, scolded 'someone', and then for the remainder of the day, no shoes went missing.

A couple of days afterwards, my husband was looking for his shoes, for one of them to be exact. I tried to help him, and first looked into the litter tray. No shoe. I looked under the sofas, chairs, in the corners, everywhere near the door of our room. No shoe. Finally, in the afternoon, the shoe was found in the farther off corner under an old bedstead.

Again, a couple of weeks later, my other sister-in-law came to visit with her kids. The whole family sat with her in her mother's bedroom. (shoes placed outside, of course) When I went out, my shoes were gone again. I was a bit irritated, as the shoe story had become repetitive. I went to the litter tray. No shoes. I looked under that old bed stead. No shoes. I looked everywhere else. No shoes. When the kids saw me look for my shoes, they quickly joined me. In no time, we had looked through the whole place. No shoes. We re-searched the place. Again, no shoes. Finally, I thought forget about them. Either 'they' like them or need them. I then returned to my mother-in-law's bedroom, and there they were - my shoes! Placed neatly one next to the other.

2. Knocking the bathroom door

That must have been some four years ago. It was pre-dawn, and we had just gotten up to offer the prayer. My husband had taken ablutions already. After leaving the bathroom, he closed the door. I was still lazying around a little. Suddenly, there was a distinct knocking on the bathroom door. 'Tuk tuk tuk'. Startled, I looked at my husband. Again. 'tuk tuk tuk'. That was a clear knock, and no, I was not crazy, my husband also heard it, as clear as I did. 'Tuk tuk tuk' it went on. A weird feeling started to creep up. We finally recited some prayers, but the knocking continued. After a while, my husband looked at me and said: 'Time for prayer... I am going to the mosque.' I looked at him, a bit flabbergasted: was he really leaving me all alone with the 'knocker'? But I still somehow managed to tease him: "So you are scared, huh?" He smiled and left.

Well, the knocking still continued. I was sitting there, looking at the door, imagining all kinds of weird creatures sitting in my bathroom and waiting to get out. Finally, curiosity got the better of me. I put together all my courage and opened that bathroom door. There was nothing. Not even a lizard!

Anyway, annoyed for the scare I had got, I decided to douse the whole bathroom. I didn't come out until I had scrubbed the whole place and finished off with some phenyle. In the meantime, my husband had also come back. He appreciated my 'bravery' and also joked that I must have given 'it' a good wash, too. We heard no knocking after that.

3. Who took my almonds?

I am quite fond of almonds. Last year, a friend had gifted me with a whole kg of dried fruits, including almonds. I happily placed the bag in my kitchen cabinet. I had not opened the pack yet. A few days afterwards, I wanted to take some of the stuff and also share it with my in-laws. But the bag was gone. I first thought that maybe some family member took it to tease me, but that was not the case. I had pestered all sundry to give me back my almonds, but when my pestering made them cross with me, I realised that I had probably suspected them wrongly. But the almonds were still missing. I was angry, and shouted in the lounge: "You better keep them back from where you took them, otherwise you'll be in trouble..."

When the family asked me who I was shouting at, I was actually short of an answer. Anyway, the bag with almonds was then back in my cabinet, unopened, just as I had left it.

4. The bursting cooker

We use pressure-cookers to speed up the cooking process and to conserve energy. Although I am not fond of cooking, I know very well how to use such a cooker. You place the lid tightly, lock it, place the weights. In case you need to open the cooker (to check the liquid or tenderness of food) you take off the weights, wait until all the gas evaporates, the safety valves go down, and the lid makes a light 'click'. I have done it a thousand times, after all.

So, a couple of days ago, I was using the cooker. I had turned off the stove maybe one hour earlier, so all gas, heat etc had evaporated already. I opened the cooker (pulses and meat for kebab), and after being satisfied with the degree of tenderness, I replaced the lid and locked it to make sure it won't fall off. I had hardly left the kitchen, when I heard an explosion like sound. All I could see was the lid flying off the cooker and landing on the floor!

The noise had startled my mother-in-law. She came out of her room and seeing the lid on the floor (with handles broken) she first suspected me having made the mistake of forcing the cooker open. I told her that the cooker was cold, that there was not gas inside, and that I had already left the kitchen when it flew off, but somehow she didn't look convinced. After a bit of mumbling, she touched the cooker, and when she also found it to be cold, she said: "Well, seems like any of 'them' was in a bad mood today."

Well, perhaps it really was, or perhaps it was just not happy with my cooking...

I am SURE these incidents were caused by some naughty jinn living in our house. Maybe they tried to cheer up the gloomy atmosphere, or they were just as bored as we sometimes are.

Other hauntings by azhar

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, azhar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cutiepie11 (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-23)
Your story was very interesting and I wish that you post more such stories or say it more such incidents.
shaimaaa (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-13)
can I have Your facebook or anything any pic of yor hose am really excited to see your house 😳
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
Your story was straight forward and easy to understand. Many of the things in your story are funny except for the pressure cooker. I have heard of them but I actually saw how it was used when I made the trip to India last year. I think my mom brought back one with her.

As for your description of the Jinn is really easy to understand and thank you for that. I have a question for you. Is it just Jinn or Dejinn? I'm asking because I'm not sure where I seen it but I saw it being spelled with a "D" before. I'm just asking out of curiosity and learning purposes only.
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-16)
Gargoyle

Ohhh... Thank you! And yes, there will be more to come, hopefully 😁
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-13)
Azhar,
Brilliant narration! Creepy and humourous.
Sounds like a really interesting house you live in. Your English is better than mine and I'm from the UK! Mind you, I am Scottish...
I'll look forward to more of your accounts!
😊
Gargoyle
Key_Lay (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
Very interesting I think the creepiest part was with the shoes I mean my shoes go missing from time to time but not like that. Definetly sounds like you got something else with you in that house, but I guess no harm no foul right? Good luck to you
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-08)
Well,my cat likes to use my shoe as a pillow (strange taste, but well, everyone has got preferences of his own;-) but I never saw him actually trying to carry them off or 'doing something' in them. He is a little weakly fellow only. And the almonds, well, one of my former cats could have done that (he had sort of a sweet tooth), but not this one...

Anyway, whatever/whoever it was, no serious harm had been done, it was just some odd kind of experience, not weird, not scary, just odd.

When time allows, I will submit some more experiences I had here in this house, hopefully. 😁
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Pets take shoes sometimes,yes. They do their business in it, yes. However, I've never heard of a pet repeatedly placing a shoe in a litter box. And taking a shoe, because the smell comforts them...
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Azhar,

I appreciated your insight on Jinns - although I've had many other descriptions. At least you have not been harmed in any way.

As for the shoes...I've known cats, dogs, ferrets, you name it to confiscate shoes for the benefit of their bodily releases. Sometimes they just take them somewhere for the smell that comforts them I think, and sometimes, they just use the shoe for the 'event'. In any case, when you have any kind of pet, never undermind that they could be actually responsible. That goes for the almonds too;)

The pressure cooker one, on the other hand, was very unusual. I have nothing to say on this one, so maybe that was someone trying to get your attention.

In any case, it doesn't sound like you are in any danger. There is a fellow here named Rook who might be able to help out with a home cleansing, but it may depend on your personal beliefs and whether you want this being to go?

Just my overly worded thoughts:)

Peace to you.
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Shlain, lizards here make sometimes a clicking sound. A bit reminding of knocking. That is why I mentioned them.

And a bit about Jinn:
They are creatures just like us human beings, (except that they were created from 'smokeless fire' while man was created from 'dust'.
They are fully endowed with a free will to do good and bad.
They eat, drink, marry, have kids and die one day.
They can follow any religion, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, whatever, or not follow any religion at all.
They are answerable for their deeds, on the Day of Judgement, just as human beings are. And they are prone to go to either heaven or Hell.
Keeping in view the stuff they were created from, they are tend to be fickle and naughty, and yes, their powers which they do not share with humans (like invisibility in their actual form, the ability to change their appearance, the ability to 'possess' someone) can tempt them into getting naughty or outrightly bad. (But then, that holds true for anyone, 'power corrupts', right?)

I hope this was sort of helpful
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Azhar,

"There was nothing. Not even a lizard!"

I couldn't help imagining a lizard knocking on your bathroom door 😆

You definitely have naughty spirits. The thing with the pressure cooker is a bit worrying though. What if someone was near to this cooker when the lid exploded off?

I always thought that Jinns were evil spirits. You speak of them as if they could be good too? Could you explain?

Shlain 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: