You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Man From The Picture

Real Ghost Stories

The Man From The Picture

 

I have always been a skeptic about the existence of what people call ghost or duppies... Until I had my own experience.

I grew up in a common Jamaican family setting where I lived with my grandmother, an aunt, mother and brother. In Jamaica the existence of spirits is something strongly endorsed by most. Especially the people of old.

My story starts one hot summer night and if you live or ever been to Jamaica you know how hot it can get in the summer. A mere fan would not suffice. As a result of this I had to leave my window open and pull my curtain apart so I could let in as much of the cool air as possible from outside. Now my window has a passage on the outside of it and that passage is secured by a metal grill. The only way for someone to gain access to the passage was to either break in or you would have to been given a key.

So I went to bed the usual time a girl my age would. During the night I suddenly awoke from my sleep. As I lay there I looked out my windows and what I saw I could not believe. There standing at my windows was a tall elderly man (about in his 60s). Till this day I never forgot look on his face. His face had a stern look... The one you would get from your principal if you were sent to the office for misbehaving. His hands were folded behind his back which would be appropriate for that stern look he had on his face. He looked very real except for the fact that I know he did not belong there and he did not look like your typical break-in -your-house kind of guy. His skin complexion was fair as if he was of a mixed race. His hair was golden. The colour a blonde would have when their hair greyed.

The typical Jamaican is all negro so. What was this man doing standing at my window, looking down at me as if I had just committed the most heinous crime?

After taking in this sight for what seemed like an hour I threw my sheet over my head and laid there trembling until I didn't know what time I fell asleep.

The description of the man I saw at my windows would describe someone closely related to my great grandmother as she is what you consider in Jamaica "high colour". My great grandmother's father was a half white European and she often told us stories about him and her life as a child growing up.

So I woke up the next morning and couldn't wait to tell someone of what I had experience the night before. As soon as I gave the last description of the man at my window my grandmother said to me "oh you saw Jack lastnight." WTH!...Who is Jack. She told me she was going to look for something and show me. Minutes later she came back with this picture in hand. In this picture there was a tall man whose appearance was exactly the same as the man I saw at my window. I just broke down in tears bawling. I had had my first ghost experience.

I later found out that "Jack" was my great grandmother's father and he was buried just topside our house on some other family land. Till this day I have never forgotten the image of the man I woke up to standing at my window. Every time I remember it's like I saw it yesterday and guess who is still a little skeptic? Lol

Other hauntings by stormy8063

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, stormy8063, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

stormy8063 (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-16)
Hey guys thanks for your comments... To answer your questions, I have never heard my grandmother made mention of seeing "Jack" but if I begin to tell you all her experiences she shared with me about ghost encounters you would never visit this site again. Lol. My story is very real and until this day its still so nerve racking... Any suggestions as to why Jack had that look on his face? It puzzles me... I don't know maybe I was being a bad kid that day
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-11)
sounds like Jack was checking in on his family, I wonder why he was looking so stern? Maybe he was waiting for you to stop gawping at him and say hello ha ha ha. Wonderful story, thanks for sharing and I hope to hear more. Has your grandmother ever seen him?
debindia (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-08)
In fact I never brush aside all these paranormal stuff as I am quite experienced. It seemed to me that the person is still earth bound and cudn't be liberated for some earthly reasons or other. Proper ritual accoding to your custom and religion will be advised. An european with his dog was seen by a college hostel girl here in my place when I was a school boy after 250 years of British rule where they might be attached. The impact was so great that she became a lunatic to recover at a very later stage.
Rev-Holmes (guest)
-2
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
praise the lord sister stormy,
You write very beautifully. Hope you use your talent in the service of the lord.
Peace
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Once a skeptic, always a skeptic? 😜 No, it may take a couple more experiences to become a true believer in the paranormal. But this was a very good first experience to have! How great is it to have an ancestor from long ago come to visit. How many times has your grandmother seen him? Has anyone else seen him? Ask your grandmother a little more information about him. I'd be interested to know and maybe that might explain why he comes to visit every so often.

Thanks, zeta.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: