You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Castle Grounds Phenomena

Real Ghost Stories

Castle Grounds Phenomena

 

I have been reading a lot of these stories over the last couple of days. Some of them very interesting, and others not so much. I am now going to tell you my story, and I hope at best you find it intriguing. It's a true story, and I wasn't the only one there.

Anyway the location is Mallow, County Cork, Ireland. The year is 1986. It was the summertime and I was 15 at this time. A group of us, including my best friend, decided to go camping on the castle grounds by the river. There are two castles there, the oldest was built around 1598 I believe. So we pitched our tent under what was known as the "hanging tree". Whether they hanged people or not from the tree in times gone by, I really don't know. Now as far as I can remember, I'm going to say it was between twelve & one o clock in the morning, a warm clear night.

So there we are, about 4 of us boys just sitting around messing about, when suddenly a short distance away, someone appeared with a white sheet over their head. Our reaction was to laugh. A sad attempt to scare us we thought. It turned out that the "ghost" was a friend of one of our group, in fact there was three of them, and they all sat down with us for more general horsing about and banter. But what happened next, I will never forget.

A short time after our friendly "ghost" appeared, another showed up, in exactly the same spot. As true as night and day, it looked exactly like someone was just standing there with a white sheet over their head, at a distance of about 30 yards away. Anyway, just like the first time, we all jeered and laughed at this pathetic attempt to scare such hardy bucks, and wondered "who" was it this time under the sheet? And where were all these white sheets coming from?

And then... Whatever it was we were looking at, just seemed to expand taller and wider into what I can only describe as a white fluorescent mass, like a cloud, but I remember it was glowing and seemed to now travel slowly toward us. Well I have to say... At this point, I nearly crapped myself. We were all terrified. We just wanted to be gone from this place, where we all had been a thousand times before. But we were surrounded by a mass of overgrowth of bushes, trees, weeds & foliage.

So at that point we had to travel toward this strange sight a little ways to get back onto the path and away. So off we went all in a line, I think I was somewhere in the middle. I grabbed onto whoever was in front of me and kept my head down until I got to the path, and then turned and we were away. We ran for our lives. No Olympian was going to outrun us that night. And as we ran terrified towards town I remember someone yelling behind me "WE HAVE TO GO BACK, OR IT WILL HAUNT US FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES," which I find comical now looking back on it.

Needless to say, we never went back, not that night anyway. But I do remember we did go back a few nights later when we got a bigger posse together and felt a bit braver, and we all stood under the hanging tree like a bunch of morons and waited to see if this thing would return, but it never did.

Maybe there is a logical explanation for what we saw, but I like to think there was something supernatural about it. I have to say I never saw anything like it since, and probably never will again. I hope I do, but I would most likely just run away again. Thank you for reading my story. Please let me know what you think.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bizzjoe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Frederick (1 stories) (11 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Yeah calm down, mate. It's just a natural phenomenon:)
Happens a lot...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
bizzjoe - calm down. You have no problem telling other people what you think about their stories, and not very nicely a lot of times either, now do you?

Yet when someone offers a valid, natural explanation for what could have happened in your experience, you over-react. Be nice.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
ok fair enough... It never happened, & yee wasted your time reading it & I wasted my time writing it... So are you happy now? I didn't know you were also there that night behind a tree, & don't even get me started on the terms of use...
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-02-03)
bizzjoe
First of all when this happened to you you were 15 in 1986? It was between 12 and 1. The witching hour. Somehow I don't think this story happened quite the way you remember it. You were in area that is famous for mist and fog. You say you had to run a little toward it to get around it and you all ran like lightning.
I don't think it was supernatural at all, just a natural phenomena that scared you. You went back a few days later with a bigger posse and nothing happened.
As for taking any if these stories and put them on the silver screen is not what this site is for and is against the terms of use.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-03)
our eyes tricked us?... Really? Well done you... Our eyes tricked us all at the same time & we all ran away... What fantastic eyes we have for them to trick us like that... I'm so happy...
Frederick (1 stories) (11 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
It was almost midnight. You guys could be very tired and your eyes tricked you. That's it. No ghost whatsoever
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Bizzjoe, I'd say your on to a winner there with that film director theory-if you could just put it into motion-you'd be sold out! I'd buy all your tickets! 😆. This story did give me that shiver, that's why I'm trying to rationalise it! 😆
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
casper... I gotta tell ya... Your story "blindfolded" was the creepiest thing I ever read... Which is good, that's what it was supposed to do... When you get that shiver up your spine (thats the stuff)... I wish I was a film director so I could bring a lot of these storys to the screen & give even more people shivers...
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Unfortunately I passed Mallow on the train! But will definately go there in the near future. Well I know you were scared I believe you and your buds witnessed something strange and it did happen on historical grounds. If you hadn't mentioned the first sighting, I would firmly put it down to paranormal 😨. Adding you to my favourite posters! Thanks again bizzjoe, look forward to hearing from you with more stories.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
thanks casper... I just want to make it clear... The first time around, there was only one guy under a sheet, & the other one or two (it was a long time ago) guys were in the background... & the second time around was some very expensive special effect or else something I can't explain... To go to this place you need to find mallow bridge, there are public toilets on one side of the bridge (which are usually closed). Walk under the bridge & go with the flow of the river... Over the small foot bridge & keep walking for a few hundred yards by the river... But the landscape has changed a lot since then...
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-17)
Wow Bizzjoe, I must visit this place! And heading to Cork Wednesday so you must give me the directions! 😆. Intrigued by your story, it had just the right amount of scare combined with a perfect narrative. Going straight into my favourites!

You say the first time you saw the 'ghost', 3 of your friends were hiding underneath. The second time, couldn't it of been more friends under it that the previous ones didn't tell you about in order to scare you more? Couldn't they of made it appear larger by holding a stick up through it? Prehaps they were ontop of each other? Just giving you some suggestions.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-17)
Do you know if there have been other reports about paranormal activity near the castle?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-17)
I suppose you could log this under the "high strangeness" category. Certainly paranormal in nature- whatever "it" was- a "reaction" it was going for.
Very interesting.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
I wouldn't have looked back either! Maybe the spirits were bored and entertained themselves at the expense of you and your friends.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
ahh my first response... Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly never looked back... I remember I was terrified this thing was going to surround us & entomb us all in its mysterious light, & we would never be seen again... Or something. I wish camera phones or camcorders were around then so I could look back on it & study it... Truly amazing but petrifying
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
Seems like this entity was mocking you boys. Spirits appear in all shapes and sizes. Did any of you look back to see if it was following you?

"WE HAVE TO GO BACK, OR IT WILL HAUNT US FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES,"

Sounds like whoever said this was quite superstitious.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: