You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old Cotton Mill

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Cotton Mill

 

Back in the 1990s I worked in an old cotton mill in my home town of Oldham in the city of Manchester. One night I decided to go and have talk to my brother who worked on the floor below mine, so I went out onto the stairs to go down to visit my brother.

The building was quite old about 120 years old or so. Anyhow, after chatting for a while, I said to Marc (my brother) that I'd better go back to work. I went back out onto the stairs and closed the door and as I did I could hear footsteps coming up the stairs from below. I must mention that the stairs were made of stone, so you can imagine the sound of footsteps as the feet slide on each step!

I thought it was a friend who had a habit of using these stairs so I waited for him to come up as the footsteps sounded like they were just round the corner! After a few moments no one appeared so I went down the next flight of steps, but the sound of the footsteps again sounded just round the corner. I waited just a few seconds, then went all the way back up to the top of the stairs! All the time I could hear the footstep coming up. I tried to be brave and waited for about 30 seconds but no one came up!

By now I was at my own work floor so I went inside took a few paces into the work room and watched to see who came through the door. No one did!

It was only later that I found out that German prisoners from WW2 had been kept there and had worked in the mill as well! I asked other work mates if they had experienced anything on the stairs but they said they wouldn't use the stairs at night because of what other people had side about strange experiences! So I just wonder if it was one of the WW2 prisoners who got left behind.

Other hauntings by warby1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, warby1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

eminem (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
i experienced like that many times when I was coming from my college to my home at 9:00 p.m I heard foot steps back of me that somebody is following me but I didn't find anyone. 😐
warby1 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
yes I take your point about about the relevance of the WW2 prisoner's!i think it could have been an old employee as well but one never know's what may have happened to result in a haunting situation!prisoner's did die while being held captive and being away from their family and being home sick could leave some kind of negative energy behind! Just a thought thank you for your interest. 😊
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
The building you describe probably has a lot of history and has had lots and lots of employees... I'm not sure there's much relevance to the WW2 POW... Just because many of these POW are still alive today? Could be an old caretaker/employee just as easily I liked your story though and love to hear from fellow Brits 😆
warby1 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
hi, yes there are record's of the prisoner's and some of them stayed and lived on in the uk after the war was over. And although they were held prisoner's they were treated very well, iv been interested in the paraormal for a long time and to answer your question no I didn't get a bad feeling!
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
That's interesting. Atleast you suspect who it is. Are there any records of these prisoners being misstreated that might give them a reason to linger? Do you get bad feelings from this experience?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: