You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Crying

Real Ghost Stories

The Crying

 

In 1992 I was still living in my parents' home with my four year old daughter. I had gotten into bed with her because she had the flu. I sat up and read her a story until she drifted off to sleep.

I lay there in the darkness unable to sleep as she tossed and turned in bed, as well as the endless coughing. Suddenly I heard loud crying. I sat up and there was nothing.

I got out of bed and went down the stairs without putting on the lights as I didn't want to disturb the household. The loud crying began. I could feel the hair on my neck stand up. I felt frozen to the spot, but somehow made myself move on down the stairs. At first I thought it was my mother and wondered why she would sit in the sitting room in the dark. She would have the lights on and be having a cigarette. I put my hand on the handle of the door when the cry changed into a gasp, like I had surprised someone. I turned and went on into the bathroom with the crying going on in the sitting room.

Coming back up the stairs, I looked at the door. I wanted to go in and see who was crying, but something prevented me from doing so. I climbed back into bed with my daughter. "Mammy, who's crying?" she asked me. I kissed her hot head and she went back asleep. The crying continued until the early hours of next morning.

When I got up the next morning, I asked my parents and sister about what went on the night before. They looked at me in bewilderment. They really didn't know what I was talking about. Then my Mother turned to me and said, "You heard 'The Banshee'." (Fairy woman or a lady who warns you about a death approaching.)

Three weeks later to the day my Grandmother suddenly died without any warning. She had a massive heart attack. So I agreed with my Mother that the lady crying was warning me that my Grandmother was about to die. I have heard her many more times since.

Other hauntings by spiritwolfdancer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spiritwolfdancer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-31)
First of all, sorry for your lost. It's never easy to lose someone you care about, especially to a heart attack. But think of it this way, she is at peace now and not in pain. Also, she got to see her great - granddaughter before she passed.

As for the banshee, I have heard many stories myself about it from some friends who are from Ireland. Everyone experiences the cry differently and in cases like yours, you hear it differently each time.
Leslie81 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
I should add that I am in Indiana in the United States. 😊 Not in Ireland or the UK.
Leslie81 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
I've heard that in addition to warning of upcoming deaths, they are guardians to certain Scottish families. Last spring I was outside during the evening and heard some. It was a loud wailing/screaming. Didn't seem anyone else heard it. Don't know how they couldn't, it was so loud. I know were the phrase "screaming like a banshee" comes from now. Lol. Didn't feel afraid. Just looked around to see if I could see anything. It went on long enough to get annoying. I wanted to yell "enough already!" But the neighbors would've thought i'd lost my marbles, so I didn't. It eventually stopped.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
Spiritwolfdancer,

Yeah, I've read tales of "Death Hailers" too. Some of the things I read said they're attached to decendants of certain scottish clans. Some say they're evil and some say they're just to bring a warning.

Sorry to hear about your Gran.
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-27)
I did some research on banshees way back when... And really, the crying and trademark screeching goes hand in hand, from what I understood. The screech, or screaming, was explained to be an expression of grief, and wasn't always recorded to have happened when a banshee was seen. There have been stories of low, sobbing moans through the streets, or loud wails in empty households; it runs the whole gamut, from what I've learned. I'm glad I've never heard one, myself.
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-27)
I ment to add that I am indeed Irish and I know that the Banshee follows certain families. I do not know however if she was in my house that night, it sounded like it though. I too always believed that she would sound like a loud screaching wail but when I heard her she sounded like my Mother. My Mother said it was the sound of things to come. Thank you all for your comments, I heard her again before my Mother passed and she just sounded like a heartbroken lady so I suppose it depends on the person who hears it.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
That is extremely scary!

I find Banshee stories fascinating, but this one is somewhat a lil more frightening! 😭

Sorry for your grandmother 😢

Much love ❤
spookyhaunter (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-23)
Freaky,

I once had a china doll that started crying. Poor you that you grandmother passed away R.I.P 😢.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
I encountered a crying ghost at an old Inn in new york. It was the saddest sound I ever heard. But she was no Irish banshee as nobody I know died. Good story.
HassaniSabbah (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
I have had an expirience with what I thaught was a Banshee and it had a whaling/moaning/crying sound to it, it was interesting yet scary never heared it again. It is belived that the worse the sound of the crying the worse the death of that person would be I would definetly think that this would be of a Banshee.
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
This is a very interesting account. I have heard of the Banshee before and how it warns of someones death, please correct me if I am mistaken but I was under the impression that the Banshee screaches\ shrieks (almost unbearably loud) if there is going to be a death.
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
spiritwolfdancer
Really interesting account.
You mentioned having heard the Banshee since. Has the sound always been followed by a death?
I have a lot of Irish in me as a lot of scots do and I have often wondered if the Banshee is only heard in Ireland or maybe elsewhere under a different name?
It's a strange phenomenon. It makes me ask myself why recieve a warning about a death that you can do nothing about?
Maybe to prepare us?
These warnings about deaths and other sad events do seem to come in all shapes and sizes though...
If you celebrate Xmas, have a good one and a happy new year to you!



Gargoyle
lucky13girl (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
i really liked your story. Thanks for sharing. I have read about banshees. They usually follow the old gaelic families in ireland to warn of the coming deaths in the family. They are harmless, they just give you hints about someone dying.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Sorry to hear of your grandmother passing 😢. She's at peace now. On to the crying-I remember, I was in bed and heard whimpering which turned into tears (I too heard a gasp! But it was coming from my cousin in the spare room as he was in shock!). It was my mother who was crying... In her sleep! Obviously having a bad dream. But it was scary unknowing at the time. If this were to happen in your case, the person responsible wouldn't remember.
Beyonder1992 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Great story. Really eerie! However, I'm wondering if perhaps you knew how the banshee was able to get inside? Or did your parents/sister know?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: