You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Why Such Nightmares? And What Is In My Room?

Real Ghost Stories

Why Such Nightmares? And What Is In My Room?

 

Please help me if you can... So here's my story:

Ever since I was a child I would get shocking nightmares, so frightening that I would wake up screaming, shaking and crying in horror. My parents tried to do something about this problem of mine by taking me to the church which somewhat helped but as I got older my nightmares returned (I'm 16 now). My mother remarried and I have moved into a new house with my family about 5 years ago. The thing is, my nightmares started to return when I started sleeping in this house. My best friend would come over and have nightmares as well! I tried dream catches but they didn't help. It has got to a point where my best friend is always saying to me that there is something in my room every time she comes over. I denied her statements until recently when every few days there would be a bang in my closet in the middle of the night. I checked in the morning and before I went to bed finding nothing that could have created the bang and nothing moved.

The second part to this story is that I have also been having the same nightmare for about a month now. Here is how it goes: I lay somewhere on what seems like a bed with strange and very frightening surroundings. I can never remember what it is that is around me but as I lay there it always makes my eyes water terribly. Next, I hear a sound of footsteps, as the sound gets closer and closer I begin to see a figure of a man. I want to stand up but it's then that I realize how heavy my body is, even keeping my eyes open becomes a difficult task, yet I can help but stare at the approaching man. He is very tall, dressed completely in black with a black hood over his head. His hair is long for a man handing down out if his hood. When he is right next to me he would always gently stroke my head for a moment and then say "It's all right my little sister, I will take you away from here". He then picks me up and heads off; as he carries me I can feel his breath on me although what catches my eyes this time, are his eyes. They are grey almost like silver! It's always so hard to look away but then it's not like a have a reason to. In those eyes, sweetness, pain, there is something I remember and a lurking terror, yet they look at me with so much kindness.

Finally when I wake up from my other nightmares I sometimes wake up with a jolt or tears. There it is again, for just a split moment I feel someone stroking my head, the touch feels extremely real and it is his touch.

Although this man who claims to be my brother is not frightening I would actually really like to know what he is. And my room, why is it so frightening? By the way I am 100% sure that I don't have a brother...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DaliaRose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
earthtogillian - I've been following your comments and I believe there's a lot you've to learn about ghosts, including the fact that some can, and do, come into your dreams. Most of the time its loved ones with messages.

Your profile lists you as a teenager, so you still have a lot of time to learn. One of the most important things about learning in this field is being willing, and able, to realize that not everything is black and white. Wait, most of this area is not black and white. The things that you think you know about ghosts may not necessarily be correct. The best thing to do is read, listen, open your mind to the possibility that things you thought might be impossible, might actually be possible. And I'm not talking about urban legends like Bloody Mary or things like that. I'm talking about ghosts visiting you in your dreams.

Not everything that goes bump in the night is a ghost, though. Sometimes they are just that... Bumps in the night that have a perfectly logical explanation. That is why we are here.
earthtogillian (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
I don't think this is related in any way with the paranormal, I honestly think this is just a case of sleeping problems or something. Try seeing a doctor. I don't see the point of ghosts trying to get in your dream? However, it could be possible. Maybe you had a brother that didn't make it out alive? Try asking your parents about it with sensitivity, of course.
Thanks for sharing, hope all is well for you! 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
newhunter: Well, "The Terms of Use" state:
"Services are available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old, whether acting on their own behalf or as an authorized employee or representative of a corporation or other business entity. If you do not so qualify, do not attempt to register for or use the Services."

And yeah, I believe some of the stories/discussions are not appropriate for younger audiences 😊
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
that should of said I read her profile it's 3:00 I am pretty tired I shouln't trying to type now
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
granny I resd her profile and she was looking for an internet friend.
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
newhunter that happens to me a lot I usualy read the last comment first and miss what is going on
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Point taken goldduster and I didn't actually see the comment on being pre-teen until after I posted that comment, I had only noticed grannys comment on being 13.
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
newhunter I agree with granny some of the stories are not for kids.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Granny with all due to respect to you and this site the home page says it is not RECOMMENDED for anyone under the age of 13 and since s/he is well mannered and polite and possibly needing help is it necessary to turn them away.
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
granny your're welcome I know it's hard on kids my grandson who is nine is trying to find a book on true ghost stories in the school library he's not alowed on the internet
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
goldduster: Thank you! 😊...I appreciate the effort, and I'm sure they will, too ❤
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
granny I can't remember what the site is called but four or five months ago I found one I'm not sure if they can post on or not I didn't go on it. I'll google it and tell you what's its called it will probaly be tommorow
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
goldduster: I've actually tried to find sites for some of these kids, because I know what it's like when it seems like there's nobody to talk to or understand...Doesn't seem to be any out there yet 😢
goldduster (55 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
granny I was sort of wondering if any one saw that I am sorry I didn't say something.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Shylaw: I'm sorry, you must be at least 13 years old to post comments, submit stories, and most of all be a member of this site... Since you've presented yourself as well mannered in your comments, I'm going to ask that you withdraw your membership until such time as you reach the age limit... Thank you 😊
Shylaw (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Hi. I'm not that old... Ill say I'm still a pre teen. Anyways... I have nightmares too. And today I had to clean out my room because I'm having a inspection. And what prevented me from having nightmares was my dream catcher. So I thought the nightmares would be gone... I fell asleep on my bed. I had the same dream I would always have... I would see fire everywhere... Then it would change into my room... It looked like a old little place... And there was this person I couldn't really see them... They looked scared. Anyways to my point... When I would wake up... (forgot to add my nightmares change after they repeat 2 times in a row) I would see this thing infront of me like right ontop of me... I tried to scream for my mom but I couldn't I couldn't move... I could only cry silently. It littearly felt like I was getting my life drained out of me... When it dissappeared I ran to my mom. Do you know what this is by any chance no one believs me: (
ladydarke (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
DaliaRose,

The story has been here for a while and I see it's been a few days since the last post, so I don't know if you're checking comments anymore. I don't post often at all, but I felt I had to reply to your story.

Regarding your childhood nightmares, they sound like night terrors, a psychological condition which is simply grown out of. Here is a link to read more about it: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors.html#

If you're not up to reading the article, here is a "in the nutshell" quote from it: "Night terrors are caused by over-arousal of the central nervous system (CNS) during sleep. This may happen because the CNS (which regulates sleep and waking brain activity) is still maturing. Some kids may inherit a tendency for this over-arousal - about 80% who have night terrors have a family member who also experienced them or sleepwalking (a similar type of sleep disturbance)." Going to church may have helped as some priests have trained as counselors and yours was able to recognize the condition and advise accordingly, or perhaps you simply grew out of it.

At any rate, my feeling is that the childhood nightmares were not connection to your current upset. I'm not sure of your childhood timeline, but from your comments regarding your father's death at a young age, one might guess that the sleep disruption was a response to family stress and grief.

Regarding the current spate of nightmares, it sounds like they started five years ago, coinciding with your mother's remarriage and the consequent move to a new house. I've done dream interpretations off and on for some years now at dreammoods.com, and in my experience nightmares commonly relate directly to stress or change occurring in your waking life, or events that are dredging up repressed issues. This was a major life change for you, and it follows that your subconscious had a lot to regurgitate in the form of nightmares. If you keep a dream journal and record not only the details of the nightmare, but what happened the day before including anything that had been bothering you, it would be easier to recognize recurring patterns and symbols, and thereby interpret them. If there was unrest in the family or the household, that could have caused your friend to pick up on the stress or negativity and also have nightmares.

Having said that, the reason that I felt moved to post is that your dream from a month ago with the dark man resonates to me as something more than a message from your subconscious. To me, that felt like a message from a guide. The dark man strikes me as a figure like Azrael - perhaps the same as the Israel another poster mentioned. The feelings of sorrow and awe about this figure would attend the angel of death. Please don't let that alarm you. In symbology I am familiar with, in both dream interpretation and Tarot, death doesn't mean physical death, but rather the changing of cycles, the passing of the old to make way for the new, like the shift of seasons. It means rebirth, either in your situation or your mindset. This backs up the actions of the figure in your dream, which takes you away from the distressing environment. The message here is that your troubles will pass and you are protected: you are not alone. I would guess that the troubles referenced are the situation or upset at the root of the nightmares. Regarding the silver eyes that struck you so much, it is worth mentioning that in the language of dreams the color silver represents justice, purity, and protective energy. Are you going to college soon, or perhaps starting to make plans surrounding college such as considering schools or applying for scholarship programs? Given your age, that may be the change that has "begun to begin," so to speak.

I would guess that he referred to you as "little sister" because he is not coming from a position of authority as a parent or father and nor did he have a hand in making you. Brotherhood instead references the connectedness of all things, and he is in the guiding or supportive role of an older sibling. Hence "little sister" resonates much as if he'd called you, for instance, "my child."

In regard to the light touches that you feel in times of duress, my own guides when they were first making themselves known would push on my shoulders with varying degrees of force so I would know one was present and, depending on right or left, which one it was. This seems like something of the same; just a way to let you know your guide is present and you are not alone.

About the knocks in your closet and your friend's assertion that there is something in your room: is she at all sensitive enough that you feel she is qualified to make this diagnosis? One wonders if she could simply be freaked out because you were freaked out. Having said that, it's possible that fearing something in your room could in fact call something into your room.

When I was a child, I lived in an old and malevolently haunted house. When the bad things in the house started moving into my closet, I threw the door open wide and left it like that, organized all the clothes and boxes very neatly and left a big space open on the floor, where I put my dollhouse. I would sit in there and play and be happy. This staked the space very clearly as mine and the creeps in there cleared out of it spit-spot and stayed out of it. Dark, unused spaces and corners, in my experience, tend to harbor spirits and/or energies, so I suggest you do the same. Use the closet. You're too old for a dollhouse, so you might make your closet into a place where you could sit comfortably and write or draw: just so long as the activity is something positive that makes you happy. Burn candles if it isn't a fire hazard or bring in lamp; anything that makes the space feel bright, cozy and welcoming. Don't make it a brooding place.

That statement applies to your entire room: don't go there to sulk. If you're sad or angry, go for a walk, go to nature, go to friends. Try to only retreat to your room when in a good mood and do as many positive, happy things as possible in the room, so that your room in fact becomes a retreat or sanctuary. Keep clutter away and try to keep the space as bright and welcoming as possible.

Not sure if you'll be back to read this, but I hope that things are well with you and your situation improves.
Zoec07 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
What a interesting story, do you have other dreams that you remember?

Maybe share this dream with your family, you must go to bed scared of what is going to happen, trapped in a cycle:S

Xx
Ninajk (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-30)
Hi. I know the feeling of dreaming the same thing over again or even a continuation.
My advise would be not to communicate with it he can change.
1. You need to find out if you are not stressed about something even if it seems small.
2. Find out about the people that lived there before you moved in.
3. Don't try to communicate with any spirit at all.
4. Did any one in your family ever take part in the occult?
5. If you listen to gospel listen in your room before you go sleep.
6. Before going to sleep have a conversation out loud with your self. Tell your self that you are tired and that you want to have a good night sleep. You do not want to dream, say it with out fear.
7. Do not be afraid. Put a bible under your pillow. Tell your self before going to sleep if anything happens a dream or anything you will pray or sing a song. Its funny how we can influence our dreams by just suggesting to ourselves. I'm my dreams when ever I feel a strange overwhelming fear I sing the sunday school song yes Jesus loves me. Works! Ask your parents and friend to pray for you.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-30)
Brier you experiencin trouble in real life? Whts the cause ov your dreams?
XXX
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-29)
I get reoccurring nightmares also. I've learned to just accept them and view them like a movie. When I wake up, it's pretty common for me to think "wow what a crappy ending."

Especially if I die in the dream. I don't have any quite like yours, but my dream I have all the time involves demons.

Still view them as B rated horror movies though.
annaliese (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-29)
Try swapping rooms with your Mum. Or try seeing a ghost specialist. 😐
aoife (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-28)
Here is my guess: he was your brother in a past life and in this life is probably looking down on you to make sure what ever happened in your other life won't happen again In this life:
Also thank you for sharing, also I would Go to a medium to see if they know any thing about your past life.

Best regards
Aoife x
debris (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-25)
There maybe a link between what you experiencing now and your childhood experiences. You maybe under stress. 😠
kariorit (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
if you have a relationship with Jesus, I'd talk to Him about it and ask for His blood to protect you from anything negative. The name of Jesus has power, and if you are a believer in Him, you can use it. Ask for good dreams or understanding...

Try to stand against fear...
DaliaRose (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
Dear rookdygin,
Not having a good relationship with my parents is not because I'm being a typical al teenager. My father died when I was 2 years old so, I don't remember him at all and when it comes to my mother, I have never been able to spend any time with her. Ever since I can remember she was always at work whilst I was at home by myself. Please don't misunderstand what I mean. I'm not saying any of this because I want attention. In fact I don't know how to handle attention because I have never known anything being alone and simply smiling when I'm around others. The diary/journal thing I will definitely try, I hope that I will be able to get something out of it. =)

Rev-Holmes
The night is drawing near and the jug is filled waiting for its work. =)
Also thank you, that's definitely something that eased my mind.
Rev-Holmes (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
dear daliarose
I did some pagan stuff for you. I got the message that you shouldn't worry and everything is going to be fine.
Your dreams will now begin to get brighter and pleasant.
Could only get a vague clue as to the identity of the tall one. Could it be Cernunos?
Who ever it maybe, he means no harm to you, so stop being afraid.
By saying its time I get a strong feeling he meant it was time for somekinda spiritual awakening.
Dont worry. Keep us updated.
Before you go to sleep tonight, sit cross legged on your bed, facing the pillow side and meditate a while.
Peace
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
DaliaRose,

If I had a nickle for every 14-16 year old (you mentioned you are 16) who make a statement like this...

"I don't exactly have the best relationship with my parents..."

I would be a very rich man. 😉

Anyway back to the 'Topic' you introduced. There is a very, very good chance that your 'dreams' and these 'feelings of being touched' are simply products of your mind. I'm not ruling out anything paranormal but the information you have provided does not allow for any normal/natural things to be ruled out either.

Where does that 'leave you'. Well, for starters you should start a Journal... Record any odd events as well as your dreams. Once you start doing this it will allow you to go back and review the details and see what they have in common or if any events can be 'debunked' as natural/normal.

You may even want to 'review' your relationship with your Parents and your Relationship with your Friends as these things may be reflected as 'images' in your dreams.

As far as this 'Man' in your dreams calling you 'sister'...this may not be a reference to a 'blood relative'...but more of a term that you 'belong' to a specific 'group'. In different Churches they use the term 'Brother/Sister' to refer to other members of the same Faith. In the Military you are a Brother/Sister 'in arms'.

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
HassaniSabbah (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
That is very interesting, yes I think it is worth trying to commuicate with it since it seems un aggressive but the important thing is you can't show fear try to ignore it. Its important to never be too sad or depressed and its perfectly fine to take it easy and let go. You should seek help from the church again if it gets worse and try to great good energy and karma in your home. You should think about looking back in your family history and see if their is any sort of connection to this Thankyou for the post.
DaliaRose (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
also, thank you very much for replaying, I really appreciate the help I'm getting. =)

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: