You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Navy Blue Suit

Real Ghost Stories

The Navy Blue Suit

 

I have posted experiences on here once before. My post was entitled "The music box and other things". Since that post I lost my account somehow, and have now created this one. In any case, its time to talk about some incidents after my encounters in the first post. Many things have changed since the box and shadows in Milton West Virginia. I know that 2012 was a horrible year for my family. And spirits didn't help it.

It was March 21. The day that changed it all. I wish that day was erased from calendars for the rest of time. At 5:30 I get a call from my mother. Mamaw was at Cabell-Huntington Hospital, time was short. She had fallen at the house on Main Street that morning. The paramedics came, brought her to that place of white walls and death choked corridors. The pain, the awful pain she endured that day. I race to the hospital, in fifteen minutes. Ignoring stop signs and red lights, trying to get there in time. Running. Running through the long twisting halls out of breath. My lungs burning. The ICU wing right there, my mother gazing into oblivion. Through that door, the thin, unrecognizable person upon the bed, barely alive. The shock I felt was unnatural.

By 6:30, the light faded. All that was left was the pumping of that stupid pace maker. Grief. Shock. Anger. It all followed. The love and remnants of family that she forged, now lay shattered. I was so hurt, angry at how it could happen within ten days of moving out. Ten days. The other people I once knew as kin could say I was horrible to her. But I gave her four years of love, laughter and life. I gave her a reason to go on.

The ceremonies were held on the 22nd and 23rd of March. The long line of cars following the hearse wound its way from the funeral home to the little church of Salem through beautiful ridges and bottoms. Then to the open and sunny hilltop Morrison Cemetery.

The weeks passed, and nothing felt good. Everything was like an empty hole. Mom half mad. My sixteen year old sister taking on the role of parent. Life crumbled. Each waking breath agonizing and unwanted.

June. It was finally my birthday. A well deserved holiday in historic and beautiful Saint Augustine FL. The live oaks and ancient stone streets. The spires and bell towers of college and cathedral. The lions guarding entrance from the bay. The breeze over the dunes to our fourth floor room. Magnificent for all it's worth.

I love that town. Founded in 1565, burned by pirates and surrendered to America without cannon fire. Its truly a great destination. The Castillo details San Marco. The city gates, yellow fever cemetery. Ghosts and legends galore.

Walking down Saint George Street is pleasant, if not hot and backbreaking. The sky grew dark. The breeze rushed into town. Suddenly a thunderclap and a great deluge occurred. The terracotta spouts and fountains gurgling with fresh, non chlorinated water. Saint George was empty save for myself and a few homeless men.

The bus station had a lone clerk inside. He loved my Hawthorne Heights shirt, and we make small talk. The room had great big fans high above to help the AC in the summer heat. In the far corner of the gift shop, near the vending machine, a woman was sitting having, I guess, coffee. And I remember her dress was very nice. Navy blue and sorta fifties vintage.

Something about her was familiar. I couldn't figure it out though. "The last bus just ran from Marina station" from behind me. The clerk, a nice rather handsome guy my age had started me. So, I called mom to come pick me up. As I wait the rain lightened up a bit so I decided to cross the street and go through the city gates and over to the Huguenot cemetery. Ever hear of a dead ringer? Haha said to originally been a bell for catatonic fever victims.

Mom meets me at the gates. As we drive off I notice the woman again standing by the seawall. She turns, and I could've sworn it was Mamaw. Although 60 years younger. She waved and smiled as we drove past. And as I looked back at her a tall lanky man walked up to her and took her hand and they walked toward the fortress.

Its insane to think she would be here. Let alone with the only man she ever loved romantically. They had never been to that town on the Matanzas Bay. But I'm glad to know she's there, watching. Waiting. Loving.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SChildehaus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SChildehaus (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
LouSlips: actually I have done the I could before her death. It was others that couldn't try to fix the "family" and some just from petty jealousy. But thank you anyway. I wish it had been less dramatic.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
Shane,

Guilt and blame are a human reaction to tragedy, but both are a huge waste of time. If you have not already, be the bigger man and make an attempt to mend some fences, even if you weren't the one who tore them down... You know that is what she would have wanted.

Lou
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
Great story - very encouraging to read of these encounters.
SChildehaus (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
I just noticed it says "Castillo details San Marco" how did that happen? Thanks everyone.:D
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
sorry for your loss, I loved your story. I believe it was her way of letting you know she was happy and in a good place and of course that she is not alone, really moving story thank you for sharing it with us ❤
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
Im so sorry to hear of your loss... Grandparents are very special people. You and your Grandma had a special bond. And so when you were on a break she showed up to you looking young, happy and healthy so you could see that she was ok now and no longer suffering and in pain. And to see her too with her special loved one (besides you that is) is brilliant. I often wish I could see some of my past loved ones again... I have seen a couple since they past but I would love to see my dad again. He died in 2009 of a Heart Attack. I still miss him every day. Your Grandma still loves you and still watches over you... KIND REGARDS, MsWrestlersGhost.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-07)
Nice story. Good writing skill (especially on those damn phones).

By the way, my condolences on the passing of your grandmother. I know it never easy to lose someone you care about but just know that she is at peace now.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-07)
SC: You did a great job 😉...I know those phones can be a pain in neck LOL...

Your story is very touching, and my condolences to you and your family... ❤
SChildehaus (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-07)
Just want everyone to know how hard this was to type. Not just emotional but I did it on a cell phone

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: