You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Four Legged Dark Creature

Real Ghost Stories

Four Legged Dark Creature

 

During my senior year of high school, I would normally sleep real late into the night. Since my room was on the second floor, it provided me with the privacy I needed, without any one disturbing my conversations. I was a teenager who enjoyed talking on the phone with friends, and calling from bed was the perfect time to gossip. My younger brother at the time slept upstairs as well, but he slept in the room next to mine.

On one particular weekend night, which has haunted me to this day, I was in bed talking on the phone with a friend. Everyone in the household was sleeping since it was late into the night. There was enough moonlight coming into my room that I could make out the outlines of the objects that were in my room. My bed at the time was in the corner of one of the walls, while the door was right in front of my bed.

I was resting my eyes for a while during my phone conversation when I had an uneasy feeling. When I opened my eyes, I saw a shadow standing next to my bed. Even with the moonlight, the shadow was dark, and I could not make out any features. It just stood there, while I felt my body freeze in horror. My gut told me in was a malevolent entity. After staring at this figure for what seemed like an eternity, the entity shifted in shape. I saw it transform from a two legged shadow, to a four legged dark "creature" with a tail. When it did this, it crawled on my ceiling near my bed (my room ceiling is low due to the shape of the roof; there is a slant to the ceiling on the edge, so you can hit your head if you are not careful).

It is at this moment that I threw my phone (my friend was still on the line), jumped from the bed, and went for my light switch next to the door. I did not look back at the creature out of fear. When I turned on the light, it turned off in a matter of seconds. I tried to turn it on again, and it turned off again. I felt my adrenaline going after I failed to keep the light on, so I threw open my door, turned on the light from the hallway, and frantically knocked on my brother's door.

I woke up my brother that night, and although angry as soon as he opened the door, he looked concerned when he saw me crying and shaking terribly. I told him what I had seen in my room, and I quickly tailed behind him to check out my room, and retrieve my phone. When he turned on the light from my room, the light stayed on. We did not find anything but my phone still on the bed. Apparently my friend had tried to call me several times after I cut our conversation short due to what I had seen.

My brother believed me (probably from the way I acting/looking), and he wanted to tell my parents then and there. It was late in the night, and I did not want to wake them. I also knew they were not going to believe me because they are hard core skeptics. I realized that they were just going to dismiss it as a dream. I told my brother not to say anything, and I ended up staying in my brother's room that night. I could not sleep at all that night, due to fear, and due to the questioning of what exactly that "thing" was.

The next morning, my brother and I went downstairs for breakfast. Over breakfast, my brother tells my parents what had happened the night before. I was ashamed and embarrassed because I did not want to hear my parents lecturing me about dreaming or imagining things. When my brother finished telling my parents what had happened, they both stayed quiet. My dad finally asked me if I was sure of what I had seen, and if I was positive I was not dreaming. I showed him my phone, and I told him I was wide awake, and that I had been on the phone talking to a friend. My brother also verified that he had woken up to me crying uncontrollably.

My dad then told me that he will leave a video camera in my room that very night to see if he saw anything unusual during the night. The next day after the recording, my dad handed me the video and told me to watch it. I never did. I realized that if I saw something I did not want to see there, I would not be able to live in that house with peace. To this day, that video is still in the bookshelf. My dad told me he watched half of it, and then he got tired of seeing nothing so he turned it off. As for myself, I never want to see that video - It brings back horrific memories.

Two days after the experience, I ended up telling my aunt who I trusted and I knew would believe me. She took me to a church, had my cross necklace with I always wore blessed, and told the priest about my experiences. The priest told me that just as there were good beings in this world, there were also beings that were evil. He told me what I have seen was evil, and he asked for permission to bless the house. Since it is the home of my parents, I called my dad and asked if a priest could come bless the house. My dad was infuriated, and he told me he did not want anyone in the house. As I stated before, my dad is a skeptic, and he thought I was taking my imagination, and running with it. After my aunt heard my dad's decision, she looked at me, and saw how upset I was. She asked the priest for holy water, and she is the one who came back home with me, and blessed the house.

The blessing helped for about 3 months. Since then, I still see or hear strange things when I visit my family in Illinois. After the experience happened, I did not sleep in that room for over a year. I would sleep in the living room. When I left for college the year after, I was hardly at my parents' home. I had a job on campus, so I stayed in the dorms as much as I could. When I do visit, I still sleep in the living room, or have someone else sleep with me in the old room with the light on. I made the mistake of sleeping by myself two years after the experience in the old room, and I regretted it instantly. That, of course, is another experience to tell.

My other experiences I will share with you within the coming weeks. It is great to be part of a community that can help me better understand, and even relate to what I have seen or heard that I cannot understand. Please comment with any ideas of what this thing was, or if there are other explanations to what I saw.

Other hauntings by cfelix1422

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cfelix1422, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

snailone (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-21)
I just searched the Internet for anything remotely close to what you just tried to describe in your story. With the lights out, you probably didn't get a good look at it. Additionally, what you describe sounds larger than what I saw one day. What I saw one day looked more like a malformed human fetus with no hair, four legs, two arms, and a mouth like an insect; very mandible like. I found it crawling on the carpet behind my TV and it seemed astonished to be found. It stayed still like a deer in headlights, looking directly into my eyes. I was not afraid, but my adrenaline was going so fast from the surprise I was more in defense mode than ready to run. I made a few sudden movements toward it and made some loud noises, but it didn't leave. I began to sense that it was very delighted to be getting any attention at all, albeit negative attention. I intuitively knew it was called a "snake eater." Whatever that means. I speculate it is some random Astral entity with the ability to shapeshift. (Shapeshifting is a very common astral ability.) I do not think what you saw was evil. It probably just happened to stumble into your and was curious about you. Possibly just intrigued by your phone conversation. Nothing bad happened so all is well that ends well, right? By the way, there is no truer form of spirituality than spirituality you can see, hear, and touch. Who really wants to go through a spiritually journey just having mere faith that anything is there? Count yourself lucky to have caught a glimpse of it, even if it scared you.
batVkitty (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-18)
You guys are not alone with these paranormal experiences! I have a bf, who sees these spirits too. He has a lot of stories but I will just tell you the most recent experience he had: while he was walking home from school, at the crosswalk, he saw a girl that looked like the girl from The Ring but she was facing backwards. He says she was in a chair twitching back and forth. He tells me that he has seen a demon (hard to beleive) following him. But what's weird is that recently hes beggining to wake up at 3:33 am... I haven't seen a ghost in my life... The closest paranormal experience I have ever had was only Sleep Paralysis where I saw the face of a demon and he was laughing at me when I tried to scream for my brothers name but I couldn't...
webbie (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-13)
Thanks for the story, and as one reader commented - the details were well done.

The first thing I noticed reading your story was the support system you had. Your parents, brother, aunt and even the local priest all gave their help to you in some way. That is one positive to the experience.

I'm not entirely convinced that your father or mother is a skeptic, but especially your father. When your brother told them the story they remained quiet and then asked you questions about it instead of dismissing your experience. I also don't think that he would have filmed your room if he didn't think there was a possibility of something there. I bet the reason he didn't tell you about the recorder shutting down at first was because it scared him a bit.

I agree with some of the posters that one night is not enough time to gain evidence because patience is definitely required. Your father could have possibly caught something on that video but he didn't have the patience to finish watching it. But I really think there may not be anything on it just because the recorder was shut off in the beginning, allowing whatever was there to scram out undetected.

Another note about your father. I don't think he would have gotten up to check the phantom footsteps if he really believed it was the house settling.

I wish I could shed some light for you on what that thing was that night, but I cannot. I purposefully keep myself ignorant on anything demonic, shadowy, etc. I am not saying it is bad but I'm not too keen on the fact that it kept shutting the light off after you tried to turn it on or morphing into an unknown creature after it appeared as a dark shadow. It seems the intent was to scare you near to death.

I agree with the priest. There is good and bad. If the blessing made it better for you, well then know that you have that in your arsenal for any future events. Thanks for sharing your story.
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
cfelix1422 -
Thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds to me like your dad knows more that he is willing to share. It sounds like maybe he and your mom have had experiences, but don't want to admit that something non-normal occurred. Since your dad is basically a skeptic, maybe he feels if he relays to you his experiences/ thoughts/ feelings/ research on the activity in your house, that will validate that there is something there. And, that goes against the grain of his skepticism. He would have to rethink his beliefs.

Personally, I would research the past of the house anyways. It sounds like if you are sharing the story now, you want some kind of validation and/or closure to your experiences.

With all that said, in the end you have to do - or not do - what feels right for you.

Blessings!
ParaTam
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
wow! What a chilling experience! I believe your re-telling of the incidents and I understand your fear. I'm glad that you found this community to share your story with, I know that the advice and encouragment you'll recieve from fellow members will be of great use to you! Look forward to reading more posts from you 😁
cfelix1422 (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
Thank you everyone for your comments and help. I am new to this site, and I forget that we do not get any notifications when there are comments.

Now to answer some of your questions:

About two months ago, I brought up this experience to my dad again, and he mentioned something that he did not mention years back when I first saw this entity. My dad told me that when he brought the recorder up into my bedroom (the night after my experience), he experienced something strange. He turned on the recorder, headed up stairs by himself, and started recording in the dark. My dad said once he got into my room, his recorder shut off. He dismissed the incident, and considered it a coincidence. I did think it was strange how he never mentioned this to me until recently. My experience happened in 2008, so I do not know why he waited so long to tell me.
Furthermore, my dad and I have a great relationship. However, I do think he may believe in some things that are paranormal, but he just does not talk about it or let us know he believes in it.

Once when my brother, dad, and I were home and in the dining room, we heard someone "walking" upstairs. My dad looked at both of us, asked if we had anyone over, and my brother and I said no. He headed upstairs with my brother, and I heard them look through the rooms. When they came back down, all my dad said was, "that was strange". He then told us it was probably the house settling.

However, since the blessing in 2008, I have not had anyone else bless the house. Since I do not live there anymore, I feel like I do not have a right to interfere with my dad's home. Also, since I still visit on weekends and during breaks from work, I still experience things that I cannot explain, just not as often.

I do not know much about the history of the house, and after I saw that entity I was willing to research. When I brought this up to my dad, he told me no. He just told me to think about what some of the research may bring up, and how that would affect me at a later point. I took his advice, and I guess fear prevents me from doing research or watching the tape. I am scared to see what I would find. I know that I would worry to the point that I would not visit. I guess I should consider to at least watching the video. I really hope there is nothing on there. I will see if I can locate the video this weekend. Perhaps I can have my boyfriend watch it with me after he is done with his training.

I have other experiences that I would like to share with you all as well. I will post them up as soon as I have an opportunity. I do not want to make this comment longer. Thank you guys for all the help!
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
I agree with Zetafornow, I don't think you will find any conclusive answers from the video been recorded for one night only, however, as scary as this experience was, I do think all this time later, maybe you could try speak to Dad, even mom about it aagain?

Have you asked them or your younger brother if anything strange has happened again in the house?

Very scary story, good account of the details.
Rozo
lostghostgal (69 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
Scary wow Sound to me like a hell dog but You say two legs until change to four legs hmm yep sound like a demon to me.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
Wow! Scary experience. I think that I may have an explanation for your dad's reaction. There are many people who are skeptics but who also believe if people talk about entities such as this one, they will continue to "haunt". I have a friend who believes in paranormal but who refuses to talk about it or any possible happenings due to the fact that they think it will "bring some evil" to the people.

I can understand why you wish not to watch the video however I am not sure you will get your answers from one video over one night. It very well could be empty of any paranormal. And yes, that may make you feel better but not saying it won't happen again.

Good luck, zeta.
Narella (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
I understand not wanting to see the video. On the other hand, this is still bothering you years later. You also mentioned something happened when you stayed in the room again. Perhaps you could take the video to a reputable paranormal investgation group and let them look at it. Tell them what happened both times. Somtimes people who are removed from the situation have the best ideas on what to do.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
Cfelix,
What kind of relationship do you have with your dad?

I find it hard to believe a hard core skeptic would encourage your story of this experience, by offering to video tape a potential event of this nature. And your mom... Another skeptic agrees and goes along with it? Curious.

I think your dad knows more than he let's on...

Lou
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
cfelix1422,

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this one.

I have the same questions as Geetha actually. Have you told anyone else apart from you father to watch the video he recorded of your room? I understand you would not want to watch it but it would be good have someone like maybe your brother or aunt to watch it. Also do mind mentioning a little bit about your house, like how old is it? Had you ever felt anything before that night? Things like that.

Regards,
Pallavi
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
I agree with flyclarinet that it could be a traumatic situation for a person to deal with, especially if they never experienced such things. I'm sorry to hear your father was harsh about the blessing of the house. You mentioned that your aunt came over to the blessing. The thing I find with blessings is that it's never a one time thing. For example, when I brought the house I live with my family, my mom got the house blessed with a Hindu priest. After that the priest taught us some prayers to be said in the house while we did our own poojas (offerings / blessings).

The reason why our priest told us to do this once in a while (he suggested every three months) was because like how things like our clothing could become old and worn from all the wear and tear, blessings/ cleansing/ protection could be worn down overtime, especially if unwanted forced try to bring the protection down.

It is a good thing that your aunt came to bless the house according to your faith but it would be better if your aunt, a church elder (but I doubt your father would like that), or even yourself could bless the house. You mentioned that your aunt used holy water. You can use that or you can use Rook's cleansing method that is on this site. If you feel comfortable you can use the holy water after you do the cleansing.

As for the thing you saw, the only thing that I could come up with was that it was some kind of low level malevolent entity or someone that did not like you sent it to you. Both ways, it's not a good that you experienced it. I hope you keep up the cleansing.

Also, I would like to say that one step towards getting over your fear is to face it. I know it's easier said than done but I suggest you watch that video, even if you find it or not. If you can't do it on your own, than do it with someone like your brother or your aunt. Or even have them do it for you.

Now that I gave you some suggestions, I have a few questions for you.

(1) You mentioned:
"I also knew they were not going to believe me because they are hard core skeptics."

And

"When my brother finished telling my parents what had happened, they both stayed quiet. My dad finally asked me if I was sure of what I had seen, and if I was positive I was not dreaming."

If your parents were hard core skeptics, then why did they stay quiet when your brother told them about your experience and asked if you were positive? Also, why did your father suggest that a video be made of your room? I think I may know that answer to that.

(2) Although you mentioned that your parents were hard - core skeptics, you didn't mention if they were religious or not? I ask this because not all religious people are skeptics and not all skeptics are religious. I would understand your father's reaction to your request the church father to come and bless the house, if he was a skeptic in the paranormal AND religion. If your father was a skeptic in the paranormal but a religious man, I don't see the problem in having the house blessed; even if the reasoning for it was wrong (according to your father).

(3) You mentioned that you haven't watched the video yet. Have you told your aunt about it? If not, why?
flyclarinet (1 stories) (36 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-01-08)
This does seem to be a traumatic experience. I would probably have had somewhat the same reaction, but I would have stayed in the room and watched the shadow. Thank's for sharing this story with us.:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: