You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Man In The Yard

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The Yard

 

I moved into my house on the north side of Dublin, Ireland four years ago November. I was living down in the country at the time and wanted to take my children back to where I grew up. I had arranged to meet the agent at the house to sign papers and collect keys. We were in the kitchen sitting at the table, I was asking when the rubbish would be collected and other things of that nature when I inquired about the small yard just outside the kitchen where we sat. 'Oh is there someone out there cleaning out the yard?' I asked. The agent looked at me bewildered, 'ha you nearly had me there' he laughed. I clicked that he could not see the man right outside the window in the yard so I just laughed along with him.

I moved in regardless and me being me I started to ask my neighbours about my previous owners. I then looked up census on my computer and there it was: the man who had first lived there worked on the railway which is behind my house. The man I had seen had a uniform on, wore a mustache. He stood at the wall in the yard smoking a cigarette and looking right at me. I then tracked down old photos of the people who worked on the railway and I eventually found him. One hundred and twenty five years ago he had lived in my house with his wife and two children.

I have seen him a lot since, his name is Michael. He does not frighten me at all, I always feel a very warm feeling when I come home. There has been a lot of other activity that has gone on and I have seen other spirits but they are other stories I will share if anyone is interested.

Other hauntings by spiritwolfdancer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spiritwolfdancer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-14)
spiritwolfdancer

I loved this story and the fact that you did a little research to find out who this man was in life is fantastic.

It sounds like he once loved the home and his job and is sticking around to continue doing what he loved best.

I would love to read more stories of yours, I look forward to them. Thanks for sharing 😊
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
I'm glad Michael doesn't frighten you and it's great you find it comforting him being there.

Great story.

Lakota73 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
Hello Spiritwolfdancer, that was a nice narration and liked the lucid and simple way it has been told. Definitely would like to hear more of your experiences. Keep posting your stories. As far as the spirit of the person Michael is concerned, I do not think it is harmful. Probably as some others have said, you are the person, who watched him and hence he is happy to show himself to you. Also, that was the nice work you have done to identify him through your research.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
I like your story because it is straight and to the point. I liked the fact that you provided the reseach information that you found. As long as he doesn't provide a problem for you and your family, I don't see a problem in him hanging around. Would love to read more stories from you. I don't know if I read your other stories but I am going to read them now to see.
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
Im glad to read that you see him from time to time since you moved. He must feel happy and comfortable around you so he keeps showing up to you. It could be too your the first person to really pay attention to him in his spirit form too. The smell of soap around him could be him trying to convey to you that he is a good, clean and kind type of spirit.
I live with a ghost that comes across smelling like soap and I asked him why he did this. And he told me it was because he was trying to let me know that since I keep a very clean and neat house that he wanted to prove to me that he should be allowed to stay. (Will write a story on here about that soon I promise. I'm waiting for two I have written to come up.).

Kind Regards,
MsWrestlersGhost.
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
uyes I sometimes do see him in the house, but its always a quick visit. I don't mind him here at all, sometimes I get a strong smell of soap when he is around. 😁
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
Spiritwolfdancer:
Your ghost stories are amazing. Always a great read. I'm glad that you were able to track down and find out who the man you saw was. Maybe he appeared to you because you were organising to move into the house he once lived in so long ago, to see what you as the new tenant was like. I wonder if you'll see more of him if your going to be there for a while.
I don't think he is out to cause any problems for you, he is just curious.

Kind Regards,
MsWrestlersGhost.
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
I like your story and its nice that you found out who he is aswell. I was wondering does he come into the house? And I would love to read your other stories 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: