You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted House For Sale

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted House For Sale

 

In 2010, I purchased my first house. It was a small two bedroom home built in the fifties in Lafayette, Indiana. The bones of the house were good but it had been trashed by the previous owners. There was enough cat hair on the carpet to knit a Siberian tiger, all of the light fixtures had been taken out and sold and someone had knocked holes in the drywall in the bathroom. On top of all of that, the living room and the larger bedroom were painted blood red and navy blue, respectively.

Before the construction began I walked around taking 'before' pictures. In the larger bedroom, an odd smear of light showed up in the photo. I chalked it up to bad camera settings, changed the settings and took another picture. The smudge of light was still there. I remember going 'Maybe there's a ghost in this room, *snort*!'

After replacing 60% of the floors, the walls of the bathroom and Kilz-ing and repainting every room, I moved in with my elderly corgi dog, Miranda. I moved into the larger bedroom. It was on the Northeast corner of the house but it stayed very dark for most of the day. Since I worked late evenings it let me sleep until 10 am with no trouble.

Miranda never had problems holding her bladder but the first night she woke me up three times to go out. I chalked it up to her being nervous in a new place. A week passed and she still didn't settle down. At times it was obvious she really didn't want to go out; she'd jump up against my bed, rush down the hall, then stop in the living room and lay down. After that, I started shutting her out of my room at night.

One night a few weeks later, I wake up at about 2:30 am. I'm staring at the ceiling, trying to figure out why I'm awake when I see a small light near the ceiling. My first thought is the street light is hitting the pull cord on my ceiling fan but it's too far over for that. Also the streetlight doesn't really reach to the back of the house. As I'm pondering this, the light starts to move. It waves back and forth as it starts drifting down towards me. I'm never at my best when I first wake up, so I just think. 'Oh, it's a lightning bug.' roll over and go back to sleep. The next night the same thing happens. The light starts dancing around the ceiling and I roll up a magazine and stand up on my mattress to squish this bug. When I put the lamp on, there's no bug and no light. It's at this point that I realize it's November and I hadn't seen one lightning bug when I was working on the house all summer. I remember Miranda's desperation to get me out of that room and said 'Oh, it's a stupid ghost!'

Now I am not a fearless person. Frightened mice darting around my feet will have me shrieking like a 1950s housewife and if I find a little garter snake in the yard, you'll have to pry me out of the nearest tree. But ghosts never bothered me. Until this point all the ghosts I had encountered had either been benevolent or indifferent. I have a personal theory backed up by absolutely nothing that aggressive entities feed off of fear and most of the time just saying 'yeah, yeah I know you're there; it's cool with me if you hang around' diffused most activity.

A few days after this I was sitting up at my computer doing an assignment. Miranda was laying at my feet sleeping until about ten o'clock. Then she got up and moved out into the hall. She lay down facing me, but in a few minutes she was back by my side pawing at my leg. I knew the reason for her 'get out of the room' routine so I stopped and loved on her and told her it was just a light dancing around the room and it couldn't actually do anything. I finished my assignment and went to bed, shutting Miranda out of the room like normal.

That night at 2:30 I suddenly felt the bed shake like someone had kicked the foot board. I knew the ghost was trying to make a point, but I wasn't impressed. I told it it had to do better than that and went back to sleep. A few nights later I fell asleep on the couch watching TV. At the witching hour I woke up to Miranda nudging my arm, looking back down the hall towards my bedroom. I sat up and gave it the 'I know that you're here and you can stay' speech only tacking on a 'but stop scaring my dog!' rider. That seemed to calm things down. I still woke up in the middle of the night for no reason and Miranda would still try to get me out of the room at night so I moved my bed into the sun room. It was mostly peaceful though I do remember one night waking up to the feeling that someone was punching the underside of my mattress. Miranda was allowed to roam the sun room at night so I suppose it could have been her, but I don't know how a geriatric corgi could do that. I snapped 'Stop that! I'm trying to sleep!' and it stopped.

Months later, Miranda was not doing well and I was worried about her being alone during the day, so I bought a puppy; another female corgi named Bunny. I hadn't had Bunny a week when Miranda suffered heat stroke and the shock sent her into a stroke. I rushed her to the emergency vet but they said there was nothing they could do for her so I had her put to sleep. Now I had an eight week old puppy who was alone all day and I worried about her. So I purchased another puppy; a male corgi named Bear.

Things were peaceful for a few months then I started work on the remaining 40% of the floors. The sun room was getting tile floor so I had to move my bed. I moved it back to the large bedroom. That night I went to bed and the puppies came in and curled up under my bed where they usually slept. No sooner were the lights out than Bear starts growling. He was only four months old at this point and I had never heard him growl in anything other than play. He definitely wasn't playing. He finally snaps at something, then lays down and goes to sleep. From then on I had no problems with lights or waking up in the middle of the night. Occasionally Bear would tear off down the hall towards that room growling and barking then come strutting back like 'Yeah, that's right!'

Eventually the floors were finished and I moved back into the sun room. One night I wake up at 2:30 and I can't move. I wasn't scared; like I said, I'm not at my best in the morning so I figured it was sleep paralysis. I just thought it would pass in a second. As I'm lying there I see a streak of light zip down passed the edge of my bed. Then I feel someone pull my hair. My hair isn't long enough to get caught under a pillow or anything. This was a definite yank. Abruptly I am very angry. Very, very angry. It was bad enough the ghost tried to scare me with lights and bed shaking but now it was pulling my hair?! I pushed up against the pressure holding me down. It was weird because my chin and stomach came up first like my shoulders were being held down. Then I felt the pressure pull away almost like it didn't expect me to get angry. I sat up and told it to get out! I was sick of this and it had to leave right now! (liberally sprinkled with profanity)

After that I had no activity. However, I was dog-sitting someone else's pet (unneutered) while Bunny was in heat, so I would lock him into that bedroom at night. He never protested going into the room, but at 2:30 in the morning I could hear him scratching and crying to get out. I just moved out a few months ago and the house is still on the market if anyone would like a haunted house...

Other hauntings by SparklinBurgndy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SparklinBurgndy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SparklinBurgndy (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Well, the ghost hasn't ever bothered me again after I cussed it out; the only reason I know it's still there is because of the one scared dog. Bear doesn't even bark at the room anymore.

I moved out because I found a much bigger house out in the country in my price range.

The house is for sale in Lafayette Indiana. It isn't listed yet because I'm fixing some scratched paint and stuff.

Here's the photo of the light smudge. It really doesn't look like much.

First picture: http://sparklinburgndy.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps&offset=24#/d4cwh2i

Second picture: http://sparklinburgndy.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps&offset=24#/d4cwhh2

It never effected anything electric-wise. TV and lights were always fine.
Talvet (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
I'm not much commenting on the story, but on the behavior of the dog. I have an aging corgi of my own, and he always tries getting me out of any room I'm in. When I don't follow, he just lays there and tries to guilt me into leaving. I think it might be a herding habit corgis retain through breeding.
othershadows101 (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
no way I do not want a haunted house I only have one fear and that's ghost
JSebax (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Thank you for your story. You're a talented writer.

I like your attitude towards... This kind of stuff.
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
SammieGirl88:
I'm very upset hear the sage didn't work for you... Maybe there are spirits it doesen't work on... Such a pity... It could have been that you needed to do the saging more than once for the spirits you had to deal with... I know I had to do it once or twice a week for 6mths straight to get the ones I had to make leave... It often happens. Sadly!

Narella:
Thankyou for you lovely comment on my posted message. I appreciate it. 😁

NewHunter:
So true, I have lived in places that I have tried just about every ghost removeal method. And nothing worked or worked for very long until I burnt sage... I had to do it twice a week for 6mths but it worked... For which i'm forever greatful for. Keep at it and you never know... The spirits probably got sick of me burning sage too and left... 🤔. Either way I was glad to see the end of them all.

I stayed unharassed in the house for nearly 2yrs. When I moved to be in the much healthy air in Asheville,NC... I never looked back.
And my home right near Asheville. And I really enjoy all the ghosts I live here with... 😁. Even if they drive me a little nuts here and there... But can happily live with it. Theyve almost become like extra family members.

I wouldn't change it for the world...
Kindness To You All... Always:
MsWrestlersGhost.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
I'm sorry for your loss... May Miranda rest in peace.
Could you post the pictures showing the smudge of light, please?
Did the ghost ever affect the lamps, the TV or your computer?
Did you move out because of the activity?

I would like to spend a night in that little old house... Or so I think, perhaps I would run out at 2:30 am to never come back.

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading this story
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Sammie-I have never had an issue with sage and never known anyone to have an issue burning sage and I know people that do it once a year at least. I'm not sure where you heard that but its new to me. I would agree with using Rook's method of cleansing many on this site have had positive results with it.
sammiegirl88 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
dont ever burn sage I was told it brings in worse stuff that you doint want
JJ-Jinx (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Can you tell me where I can buy this house? It sounds pretty cool.
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
I never met a corgi that didn't have a wonderful personality. I'm so sorry about the loss of Miranda. I agree with MsWrestlersGhost about pets being a warning system. I often wonder what goes through a dog's mind during a paranormal experience.
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
SparklinBurgandy:
Wow youve got a lot of spirit energy around you... Your place sounds so much like my house sometimes does.

If your worried about the spirits in your home politly ask them to leave as they are welcome. If it doesent work there are a lot of other good things to try... Rookydgin has a brilliant cleansing (track him down he'll let you know what to do I'm sure if you ask nicely) , mix bowls of rock salt and vinegar and leave them around your house until they dry up. Burn a smudge stick and or sage. Pray and expell the spirits in the name of Jesus (or whomever god/gods/religions you believe spiritual leaders), or get a Medium to help out... Check them out online for people in your local area (They have people online here who can help out too).

Im sorry about the loss of your Corgi, Miranda... It always breaks my heart when I read about deaths of beloved pets. Your new dogs Bunny and Bear are obviously seeing your ghostly residents and are letting you know when your ghostly extra's are around... As pets are very sensitive to the afterlife. Your so lucky you have them their to let you know so you have some kind of warning system. My pets do the same thing.

Kind Regards,
Good Luck,
MsWrestlersGhost.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: