You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Younger Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

My Younger Experiences

 

So this is my first posting on here and I hope to hear some feedback on what may have happened here, if anyone could give some form of enlightenment on these events, be it whether you have experienced something similar or you have an idea of what may have triggered this... Or if you've been to the area I am about to discuss and have an idea about the history of the place even better. Either way I look forward to hearing from you all.

A lot of this story is based up on what I have been told by my parents as I was far too young to understand and appreciate the scenarios which were taking place around me at the time. To get the basics out the way, when I was around 3 years old my parents and I moved to a beautiful scenic area known as the Lake District. We lived initially in a caravan in a place called Falbarrow Park which was on the edge of Lake Windermere (I hope I am correct in the spelling of the place). When finances got a little better my parents later moved in to an old manor house called the Lodge which had been separated in to two separate houses. After moving in the The Lodge our experiences began, at least mine did.

According to my mum, the first thing which caught my eye at the time was the "man at the top of the stairs". I might emphasize that no one could see this man and I seemed unperturbed by him initially. As we lived there over a period of time though things got a bit out of hand with this man at the top of the stairs. Of a bed time apparently I had to be physically dragged kicking and screaming as I could not bear being left alone at night in my room; in one particular case my dad would sit on the top of the stairs repeatedly saying "Becky, it's all right, I'm here, it's ok" only to have "ooohh dear" repeated at him over and over as I sat up in my bed. After a few months of this I had to be put on mild sedatives to get to sleep of a night time as things just did not seem to improve.

Now it happened one morning, my mum was up and about downstairs and she saw the figure of a man move in to the hallway from the living room and walk towards the door. Immediately thinking it was my dad she wished him a good day at work and turned around. It was about five minutes later she realized that this could not be dad as he wasn't due back from work (him being a park warden at the time) for another hour or so and that she and I were the only ones in the house. (While this is the last major happening of the man at the top of the stairs from what I can gather this continued well up until we left the house).

The next few scenarios mostly focus on my parents.

My mum and dad liked to go out to the local pub of an evening and would get my grandad to babysit in order for them to have a little respite. Now according to both of them, as it happened to them both but on separate occasions, while having a wash and shave my dad looked up in to the bathroom mirror to see two hands, (rather than seeing their palms he was seeing the knuckle side of the hands) waving to him in the mirror, he could not see his own reflection. I am not sure of his reaction or how he dealt with this all I know is that he is altogether not too fond of the memory. Like I said it also happened to mum I believe several times while she had her morning wash she would see the same hands waving slowly at her. The way these hands waved, I'll do my best to describe it... It was not a "hello" friends wave. The best way I can explain is if you mimic waving as if to say "STOP!" or "NO!" but more fluid and less violent but only with the knuckle side of your hands facing you, this was what my parents would be seeing.

As mentioned above, my dad used to be a park warden; basically spending the night and early hours walking around the park to ward off any vandals or drunken youths intent of upsetting some of the features. During his time in this line of work my dad said he had the usual house alarms tripping and going off, running to assist in such events only to find nothing had gone and the house was fine (nothing major in that story). Yet one time something happened which shook my dad up a bit.

Toward the end of his shift he would always stand on a hidden jetty which was really tucked out the way between a few hedgerows and trees and from there he could look out across the lake and see the lights from the near by town and as he said it was his "switch off point". Well this place, as dad had come to get used to, was always surrounded with what he described as whispers. The hedges would always sway and shimmer even if there wasn't a single breeze, he'd shine his light (I might emphasize the torch he used on the job was one of the more powerfully bright things, which is needed to be in order to spot any yobs acting up in the shadows at night); well when he started standing on this spot he always shone this torch out and he could see for a fair distance and there was never anyone there so he got used to it after a while.

One time he was stood there, the whisperings picked up and everything start blowing about as though there was a heavy breeze (which there wasn't apparently) and dad felt a hard shove in his back which nearly sent him into the lake itself. Now my dad said he spun round in order to grab who ever had pushed him and "teach him a lesson" one could say... But there was not a single person to be seen. Even with the light shining brightly across the park, there was no one in sight and the whispers had died down and the 'breeze' too; I know my dad has never known what to make of this and nor do I really.

This is the last experience I will write about on this posting as looking up there's about 5000 words in this and I am worrying I am boring you to tears with so much writing.

This last event happened to my mum and she has spent years accepting it was something supernatural, then changing her mind to it being a bad nightmare or a case of hypnagogia. Yet I choose to believe it to be of an intimidating scenario from what she has told me.

One night my mum had a dream (I know I should not post about dreams on this forum but it links up with ghosts at the end so please bear with me). In this dream she was dressed in Victorian petticoats and running down a hill terrified because she felt she was being chased, although she never saw her pursuer. While running she ran into a graveyard and fell in to a dug out grave. Whatever had been chasing her was now on top of her pushing her head deep in to the ground yet tilting her head up in order for her to read what was written on the epitaph. Bit of a nasty dream I thought until mum told me that while the thing had been pushing her head in to the ground, she was actually wide awake in bed with this "thing" pushing her head violently in to the pillow. She was screaming for my dad to help her but because she was so scared mum said no sound was coming from her mouth. And then, as quickly as it came, it went. How she managed to doze off to sleep afterwards I don't know but she did and the next morning she told our neighbor about it.

Our neighbor, Helen, laughed with mum and they put it down to eating too much cheese before bed or drinking something a bit off at the pub and mum put it to the back of her mind. Two weeks after though, Helen came racing round with the local paper and told mum to read the first major story which was something along the lines of "Exorcism at the Old England Hotel a Success" apparently guests and staff who had been staying at this place had undergone the same if not similar traumatic experiences my mother had gone through; so much so the management had called in a priest to conduct an exorcism.

Now I do not know much about the practice of exorcisms, I simply assumed once banished a spirit/ghost would go "to the light" or somewhere else; I didn't think they would move on to other places and attack other people, but from what my mum has told me and from what I've put together in my own mind, I find too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. I don't know, maybe it was just a bad dream but it is something my mum's never forgotten, and it does worry her a lot.

Well that's the end of this essay of a post and I hope it reads well and there are not too many grammatical errors. I am sorry it is long but I can assure you all that all this is true in accordance to what I have been told by my parents, there has been no altering and exaggeration of events. If anyone can shed any light on what happened to us on either all or some of the occasions I would love to hear from you. Even if it is just general feedback I'm happy to hear it.

Thank you for your time and patience, I'll post again soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, becky-lenton, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

becky-lenton (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-20)
As a side note I apologise for the misspelling of your usernames in my replies both Tessa and Seraphina, I am just too eager to respond and mistypes like Tassa and Seraphia happen, I'm sorry 😳
becky-lenton (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-20)
Haha no problem Tassa, yeah I went to post a more recent set of experiences last night and the submit page was down until Monday, so I shall post my story then and read your story and respond to it afterwards on the same evening. Been a bit ill today and I reckon I should be if not 100% then on the way to being so tomorrow so I'll be able to focus more on what I'm reading 😜

Thank you very much for your response, it wasn't my intention to scare although when I do tell people about my mum's dream I have had folk complaining they haven't been able to sleep properly afterwards as they're terrified it'll happen to them too. 😲
TessaTeddyBear1998 (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-19)
Nevermind, the submit page is down until next monday so it'll have to wait until then 😆
TessaTeddyBear1998 (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-19)
this was a very interesting story. Sure it was long but it's worth reading. Some of your stories are frightening to me. Like the "nightmare" and your father being pushed by nobody. I have been touched but it was like a tap and I have seen unexplainable things. I might post some of my expirences tonight. You should check them out. Here's the title:My Ghost Expirences.
becky-lenton (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-19)
Thank you both Seraphia and Azhar for your feedback; being an English student and reading some of the old classics you develop a bit of an imagination I suppose; I personally believe it must be something linking toward possession while my mum believes it to be hypnogogia or really bad dreams.

After mum realised my sister had heard her say "Get out!" in a menacing voice she had to admit something was going on in the house they'd recently moved out of, in fact I think it will have to be my next story posting as a few things happened there... Nothing to the extent of what happened in the Lakes (which I agree Seraphina is a beautiful place) but rather more sinister I feel.

I shall take your advice for future guidance Azhar, as certain things seem to occur more regular with myself and the other women in the family (mum and my sister) so it may be something to definitely keep in mind. Thank you both for the feedback and as well for complimenting my writing; I knew the story would be a long one so I tried to write as best as I could to so as readers didn't get too bored in reading so much. ❤
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
yes, I gree with seraphina, could be some kind of possession or attempt to possess. But hopefully, the points mentioned in my first post, will be helpful for anyone who goes through this kind of experience.

Take care, and I hope that you and your family (or anyone else) will not have any unpleasant/frightening experiences.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
Becky, this is a fascinating story--and it's well written, too, so I'm sure other readers will enjoy it as well. I'm not a paranormal expert like many of the folks who post here, but you do seem to be describing at/hinting at possession for some of these encounters. Is that what you believe happened?

The Lake District is a beautiful region:)
becky-lenton (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
Thank you ever so much for your feedback; I'll be posting further stories of experiences we've had as I stay on this site. But I know my mum was almost like a magnet to really unnerving events, which usually centred around her and especially when she was asleep.

For one example, we used to live in the house my mum grew up in and when she was younger she used to suffer from exactly what you've indicated, sleep paralysis. Yet she said she also had moments where she didn't think she was in full control of her body, bearing in mind my mum was quite young when this started happening. And it happened once or twice as she grew up.

Now my sister used to struggle sleeping in her own bed in that house, well up in to her teens as mad as that sounds. And she would race in to my mum's room (mum and dad slept in separate rooms due to their snoring keeping them both awake (teehee) but my sister would be struggling to sleep next to mum, and the one night mum turned round to face her and in the deepest most menacing voice... As she puts it she cannot even imitate this voice no matter how hard she tries now... She said "Get out!" And from what I've heard those times when she felt she was never fully in control of her body when younger, the same voice would come out of her saying the same words.

It's really strange, as I said in the story, thankfully where they live now mum has nothing like this happening to her anymore, it was all in the house she grew up in and when we moved back in to their it started affecting my sister and my mum all over again. Thing is, I don't think that was just any old ghost if that's what she was going through, though I'm no expert I don't know.
azhar (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
That was a very detailed and interesting story to read - yes, it was long, but it was worth reading!

As for your mother's 'nightmare' could it have been a case of sleep paralysis?

I had some comparable experiences, which luckily stopped.

In case you or your mom are still bothered, you can try out being assertive - tell whoever is there that you do not appreciate to be disturbed in this manner.

No need to be afraid - some entities (I prefer to label them as Jinn, as for religious reasons I do not believe that souls of humans roam earth) feed on fear.

Anyone who is affected should keep self (physical goes withour saying, mental and spiritual, too) and surroundings fragrant, neat and clean, and well-aired. There should be no 'dark corners' anywhere. Especially bathrooms should be immaculate.

If you want to, I can send you some prayers to be recited, they work, I can say from own experience.

Hope this was helpful

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: