You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Chant From The Past

Real Ghost Stories

Chant From The Past

 

This story happened about 6 years ago, but it still frightens me when I think about it!

I was in the car with my dad (he was driving) and we were on the way back to our house. We live in a very quiet area, with only one main road near the house and we were on one of the quieter roads.

There was a car in front of us and all of a sudden the driver braked suddenly and my dad also had to slam on the brakes to avoid crashing into the back of this car! The car in front had no reason to stop as there was no one in front of them, no parked cars or anything which would have been a hazard.

Anyway, after slamming on the brakes, the car in front stayed put for at least 2 minutes. My Dad, who is often an impatient driver, said something like, "Come on! What's wrong with you? MOVE!"

As soon as those words left his mouth, we heard a noise that freaked us both out completely. We heard a chant and the most bizarre thing about it was that I thought only I had heard it because it sounded like it was right in my right ear and in the space in the car between me and my Dad. The chant also only lasted what must have been a second, but it was very loud and also sounded like it started with one male voice and then about 100 other voices joined in!

Although it lasted literally a second, in that time, the noise started in my ear and then filled the entire car, almost like a choir of 100 Monks had jumped in the backseat! The other odd thing about this chant was that when it happened I felt like I had (and this is the best way I can describe it) been zapped back in time - like I felt dizzy and almost like I had slipped away from reality. The chant started as soon as it had stopped and the car in front drive off.

Now, you are probably thinking that the car in front somehow made that noise. I can honestly say that it came from the inside of our car. Not only could that chant not have belonged to a CD (it was quite freaky - no one in their right mind would listen to that anyway!) but the noise as I have described came from behind us and was in our presence. Also. There was no one or nothing behind us on the road that it could have possibly been.

Anyway, as soon as the chant ended I looked at my dad and he was white! He said, "Did you just hear that? Please tell me you heard a sort of loud chant?" I told him I did and asked if he felt anything and his words were, "It made me feel strange, almost timeless."

We discussed it on the way back to the house and both agreed that it started in our ears first then built up to a sort of crescendo finish in the back of the car! My dad is very, very skeptical about ghosts and the paranormal and as a kid, if I ever got scared by a noise he'd always have a rational explanation for it and disregard any possibility of ghosts ever being a factor! So to see my dad so freaked out by this noise make me actually feel more frightened!

I have always wondered if the car on front stopped so suddenly because they had heard it too? What could be the possible explanation for the chant?

I have also researched the road where we heard it and before any houses were built there, the whole area was farmland. So it's even more mind-boggling as if we somehow picked up a sound from the past, why would monks be singing on a farm?! Can anyone make sense of this?

Other hauntings by MissKawaii83

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MissKawaii83, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kariorit (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-19)
You might want to google druid chants and see if any of them sound familiar...
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-18)
What a interesting story. Has it happened again in that spot, or just the one time? I agree, it could be residual. It is strange that it started next to your ear. I'm just curious, has any paranormal activity picked up sinse this happened?
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-18)
MissKawaii83, Yes I was curious to hear it again. I can't really remember if I heard it again as it was a few years back. I thought maybe it was a cult of some kind within the flat but was also thinking this couldn't be allowed and would of been complained about. It was unsettling to me as it was an eerie sound and was ongoing for quite a while. It sounded far away but as I stated I could only hear it while I was in the bathroom.
I listened to Rook's links, and none of them sounded like the one I heard.
MissKawaii83 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Hello guys and thank you for your comments:)

Rook - the voices of the chant I heard sounded a lot more like the ones in the first link you posted, as they were very clear and of a similar tone. The chant I heard had no words however, it was made up of 'AAH' sounds... It sort of went (and forgive me here, because I am going to type a chant and you will have NO idea how it sounds haha!) 'AAAH, AHHH, AHHHHHHHH'. The first one was a singular voice, the second gained more voices and the third was very loud and like the whole 'choir' joined in. Also as I am not the musical sort I can't say what notes/keys were used, but the second second 'ah' sound was higher than the first and the third was lower, almost off key (for anyone with musical abilities, it wasn't off key, but a slightly odd sounding key). It also sounded very 'haunting'. Also, the time of year this happened was in late Spetember, so Autumn!
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion however! Much appreciated:)

SDS - Thank you too! I will try what you said and post my findings!

Casper - wow, I am glad it's not just me who has heard a chant! Have you ever tried to listen out for it again? And how did you feel when you heard it? Did it sound peaceful?

Pjod - That's my guess too... I always wish I had asked her somehow, but she drove off and so it would have been difficult to stop her and ask what may seem like a strange question!
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
My guess would also be that the car in front had heard something similiar, causing them to stop like they did. England is an ancient land- who knows what may have gone on in that space of road you were on.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
MissKawaii83, this actually sent a shiver down me from reading it as it happened to me. Yes, that's right! I had forgotten about it until now. It was also in England, but in a flat and I was in the bathroom when I could faintly hear a chant over and over again. I said it to my mother and for her to listen, but she said she couldn't hear anything! When I came out of the bathroom however, I couldn't hear a thing! It wasn't loud so it couldn't of been from next door. It had a few voices repeating this for over an hour at least. I have no idea where it came from.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Hi MissKawaii83, that was one of the strange experiences. You said you have researched the road and it was a farm land earlier. You must definitely have noted the time of the event as it has an imprint on you. So definitely you must also have known the exact place of it. Then, if you stay nearby to the place of the incident, then why don't you go to that place once again exactly at the exact time and find out if you get the same experience. If it does, then it must be residual. Try out, if possible, and post your experience.

Nice narration and thanks for sharing.

SDS
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
MissKawaii,

Did it sound similar to either of these?

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0

Or

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MbDqc3x97k

Or did it sound 'less' Latin and... For lack of words...Older?

If 'Older' sounding this may have been a Residual type of event where you and your Father 'heard' an event that was 'recorded' on the environment. It may have been a Druid Chant to a 'Spirit/God (s) ' asking for a 'Good Harvest'. What Time of Year did this occur?

Just a couple of Ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: