You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Living With The Dead

Real Ghost Stories

Living With The Dead

 

First of all, I'm sorry that this will be a long post, but so many unexplainable things have happened in the past few years. You should know that I was an open-minded skeptic before any of this, and I've tried to find a rational explanation for every single one of these events and these are the ones that have completely blown my mind.

I am seventeen years old and live in a house that my family built with no recorded deaths. My mom and her family have experienced some strange things in their old house and so my mom believes in ghosts, but she insists that our house isn't haunted. I actually agree with her; I don't think my house is haunted - I believe that I am haunted. Why? I don't know. I don't believe that I am psychic as I'm still extremely skeptical of those types of things, and I don't want to flatter myself by believing that I'm special but I've considered the fact that I may just be more sensitive to ghosts or have an energy that attracts them to me. I don't know. What I do know is that ghosts exist.

The first thing that happened was when I was at the most five. I had a lava lamp in my room on my dresser near my bed. While I was in bed one night, it randomly began to shake violently. I live in an area where there are no earthquakes, and nothing else on my dresser moved, but somehow the lamp shook so hard that it nearly fell off my dresser. I even looked behind the dresser to be sure there was nothing that could have caused this to happen.

After that, I didn't notice anything significant for many, many years. I basically forgot about the lamp and didn't really believe in ghosts. But then I started watching the show Ghost Adventures and became more open to the paranormal, and that's when things really picked up. However, I can assure you that my mind was not influenced by the show as my parents have claimed. It started again with footsteps on the stairs. My brother Matt and I would hear loud thumps and would be convinced that there was an actual person walking on the stairs. Sometimes we would count the exact number of thumps as there were stairs. After that, I saw a black orb in my room just hovering above the floor. When it hit the floor, it made a soft thump that alerted my cat and caused her to stare in the direction where I'd just seen and heard the orb.

Another time I came home from the movies to find that the same lava lamp from my first experience had been turned on. The strange part was that the bulb had been burnt out for several months. Wondering if one of my family members had done me a favor and changed the bulb, I asked them about the lamp. Everyone said that they hadn't even been in my room that night. For further confirmation that no one had changed the bulb, when I turned the lamp off and tried to turn it back on again, it wouldn't light up anymore.

The next thing that happened was one of the strangest to this day. It was late, and I was sitting cross-legged on the bed. My brother was across the room. Out of nowhere, the bed began to shake so hard that the metal bed-frame was rattling. This kept up for about ten long seconds and stopped. Matt was facing away from me at the time, half asleep on the other bed so I told him what had happened and told him to keep watching in case it happened again. Sure enough, the shaking started again and continued for even longer than the first time. Matt told me to stop it because it wasn't funny, but when the shaking stopped again and then started a third time, my brother came and stood by the bed without touching it. He could see that I wasn't shaking the bed or even moving, just sitting as still as possible while the bed went crazy underneath me.

After that, Matt, my sister Rachel, and I started to notice shadows and hear voices. Once, Rachel was convinced she had a conversation with my Dad through a closed door, only to find out later from my mom that he hadn't been home all night. There was no one else in the house except for me and Rachel. At first she didn't believe that my Dad wasn't there, and her shocked expression when she found out my Dad hadn't been home was proof enough that she heard something.

Three times doors have opened by themselves, but never have they closed. Each time, I was in the room of the door that opened. The first time it was the bathroom door when I was home alone (and changing my shorts - I might add - thank you very much, spirit!), and twice it was my bedroom door. All three times the knob actually twisted, and the door opened all the way to the wall with some force. The third time, it was my bedroom door that opened for the second time.

Around the same time as the doors opening, a light turned off above my head in the hallway. I thought the bulb had burnt out but I looked at the switch anyway because I had heard a strange click. Sure enough, the switch had been manually turned down for "OFF", but no one had touched it.

Once while reading in my room, a dark form moved past my doorway and into my brother's room across the hall. Assuming it was my brother, I was unconcerned until Rachel rushed into my room to tell me that she had just seen a tall, shadowy man walk into my brother's room. I was stunned that we had both seen this simultaneously.

Once while outside after dark, Matt and I saw an apparition. Instead of the usual black shadowy forms, this one was composed of a white, misty substance in the shape of a human. It was "walking" back and forth in front of a tree outside. The night was clear and mild and there was a full moon, so we could see it very well. It was not a trick of the light, as it was very obviously in the form of a person. Matt and I stopped walking at the exact same moment and just stared without saying anything. When the apparition disappeared, I asked Matt if he had just seen what I saw. He replied, "Do you mean that white, misty thing by the pine tree?" Once again, I was completely baffled.

We turned and ran inside.

Once, my tweezers disappeared from my dresser drawer. My entire family told me that they hadn't taken it, and I was so frustrated that I emptied the drawer and even checked all of my family's drawers and makeup bags to make sure they didn't have it. A few weeks later, the tweezers reappeared exactly where I had left it. The drawer was pulled open, and the tweezers had been placed in the exact center of the drawer, with two objects lined up in a perfect row on either side of it. I know it wasn't there before, and it struck me as odd about the other objects methodically placed on each side.

When we hear voices, it's most often the voice of a child (it sounds like a little girl saying about two sentences and then giggling), though we have only seen a tall, masculine figure. I'm always seeing shadows and mists out of the corner of my eye or if I look up very quick before it disappears.

I've also seen a few orbs. The most unusual was a blue, glowing sphere, but I could only see it in my mirror. It was there until I fell asleep (probably about five to ten minutes because I was extremely drained), and when I woke up in the middle of the night, it was gone. In the mirror, it appeared as if the sphere should have been floating in my room, but when I got out of bed and looked for it, there was nothing out of the ordinary. This orb was not a reflection in the mirror. For one thing, it was not on the surface of the mirror. It also cast its own very bright blue light, which isn't a quality reflections have. When I wasn't looking in the mirror, I couldn't see the sphere anywhere in my room. I searched my entire room and even lifted my curtains and looked outside for anything that could have been casting a blue light, but nothing could explain it or why I could only see it in the mirror. To this day, I can't wrap my head around this experience.

I believe that this ghost has followed me before. I have experienced things outside my own house. At school in art class, I was telling my friend about everything that had been happening at my house and how I believed it could be a ghost. After a minute, I got up to get a pencil. The pencil drawer was beneath the wall-mounted TV. The TV was high enough where I could easily stand underneath it without touching it. While I was standing directly underneath it, the TV turned on right over my head. Everyone in the room looked up, and my teacher thought that someone had the remote and was trying to be funny - until she saw the remote sitting on her desk untouched. Even she thought that was strange, and I feel that it was just too ironic that I had been talking about ghosts not a minute before, and the TV was turned on right over my head.

The other thing that happened was at my friend's house. I was there for a sleepover, and my friend had a little dog named Sugar (and just in case it matters, Sugar has two blue eyes). Sugar hates strangers, and barks and growls at almost everyone but my friend. When I met Sugar, she behaved strangely around me. She was instantly attached to me - following me around and jumping on my lap every time I sat down. My friend even said that it was strange. When we decided to go to sleep on the basement floor, Sugar decided that she was going to sleep on me, which was even stranger because she always sleeps with my friend. Well, of course I was the last one awake because of my insomnia. All of the sudden, Sugar jumped awake and began staring towards the darkest part of the room. The hair on her back was standing up and she was growling and barking, the way she does when she sees strangers. Then Sugar's head began turning slowly, as if it was following something moving around the outside of the room until she was staring behind me over my shoulder, still snarling at the thing that was now behind me. The energy in the room was dark and malevolent, and this is one of the few times I was scared out of my wits. I didn't look behind me; instead I put the blankets over my head and hid until morning. I didn't tell my friend because I knew she would think I was crazy. I think that maybe Sugar sensed something (as animals are said to be more sensitive to energies and spirits than humans), and she was protecting me from something potentially malicious.

A few weeks ago, my family and I were downstairs. Our dog, Sonny, was accidentally left upstairs unattended. He isn't supposed to leave the entry-area, so of course when we left him he decided to do some sneaky exploring. He went into my brothers' room (where we've seen shadow-figures walk into many times). A while later we heard him barking frantically. After following Sonny's yelping, we found him shut in the bedroom with the door closed, cowering and shaking. Our doors are always open and are not heavy. They do not close unless someone purposely closes them, so to shut himself in Sonny would've had to somehow push the door all the way closed, which doesn't make sense because Sonny hates being locked up. Sonny most likely ran in there trying to grab something without getting caught (he loves stealing stuffed animals) and it's unlikely that he then turned around and pushed the door closed behind him. When my sister Grace let him out, Sonny cowered and backed away from her before running full-speed out of the room. Because I didn't actually see my dog go into the room or the door close, I can't say that a ghost locked him in the room, but it is still very strange and worth mentioning.

The most recent occurrence was just a few days ago (1/09/13). I was reading on my bed sometime after midnight. All of the sudden the side of my bed was hit hard, causing my bed to lurch. The impact was so forceful that I heard it as well as felt it, and it caused me to basically jump out of my skin. I got out of bed and searched under and around the bed before leaving the room to wake my parents, who promptly called me crazy.

I usually don't feel a negative energy in my home - just a very heavy, oppressive, uncomfortable feeling. Therefore I don't feel that whatever this might be is evil or angry, but it doesn't feel like it's a protective presence either - just a powerful neutral presence that, for whatever reason, is in my home and wants to let us know. I would just like to know your opinion on this - what kind of spirit this may be, why it's here, why hasn't it shown itself to my parents, and what I should do about it (getting a priest is sort of out of the question as my parents would never allow that).

Thanks for reading if you actually made it all the way through this! If you have questions about any of my experiences, just ask!

Other hauntings by sw05

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sw05, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

nterio (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-19)
interesting! And I do agree with Rook to keep a journal. I've debated keeping one for myself and daughter (she's 3, can't do it herself, and has had some strange occurances) but I need to stop being lazy!

Blessings!
Nik
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
sw05,

You stated..."I didn't mention that I had been antagonizing the spirit before the doors closing and light switch turning off. I don't do it often though."

This just adds a bit of evidence to your Poltergeist being a 'spirit' that was attracted by the 'energy' being produced by your or your siblings bodies. By focusing your attention on the spirit allowed it to draw more energy from you so it manifested for you.

Thanks for sharing... Please keep a Journal and keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
Hello sw05,
I used to have a dog named sugar. She was a very sweet dog. She was very alert and active. She would have rounded up the ghosts if she saw any, lol. Like a cattle herder, that's what she did with living animals. She was a german sheperd. I named her sugar because when she was a puppy, her fur looked like the color of brown sugar.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
SWO5, you might first try the reference desk at your local libray. Look up the address in city directories, ask for fire maps, talk to neighbors, or members of the local historical society. Most towns have a couple of local history buffs who would be happy to,help.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
sw05 - you may get differing opinions about communicating with ghosts, but I don't have any issues with it. I talk to mine 😉
sw05 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Miracles51031
Thanks for sharing. Its nice to know others experience similar events as me. In my opinion it validates some of my experiences. I will heed your advice about the taunting, but can I still try to communicate?
Rook
Yes my brother and sisters are all "puberty age". My brother is 13 and my sister is 15. My sister and I have the most "experiences", and a lot of times we see a shadowy entity walk into my brothers room, or we will look in and it will be standing near his bed. He has had a few experiences, but hes only encountered the shadow entity once
Sorry to keep bugging you, but I don't get to talk to anyone about this often and I'm extremely curious:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
sw05 - I don't have much to add or offer that hasn't already been done. I do, however, want to second Rook's advice of keeping a Journal. I'm a huge promoter of that and have been keeping mine for a long time. As Rook said, it does help you figure out what could be a normal explanation, and what may be something paranormal.

The main reason I am commenting is to let you know that I also have seen a misty white apparition. The first time was 10 years ago. Mine sounds just like you described yours and there was not a doubt in my mind that she was female. I wasn't afraid of her and if I hadn't had my kids with me, I'd have followed her.

The second one my little boy and I both have seen just recently in our home, but at different times. We have seen such diverse spirits/ghosts/apparitions, you name it. My little boy has seen red ones, we have seen shadow people, these misty ones, orbs that we have seen with our "naked eye." All of this to tell you that you are not alone in your experiences.

Now the lecture... Do not continue to antagonize. Okay? Even if you have the most passive of ghosts in your home, if you continue to poke at them, they're going to get pissed off at you and retaliate. You may not like it when they do. And honestly, could you blame them? I couldn't. Lecture over 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
sw05,

We ask for details and clarifications for a reason, they can help us determine just what, if anything, is really happening.

Its my opinion that a Poltergeist can be one of two things...

One: Psychokinetic activity triggered by the energy produced by a child going through Puberty.

Two: A 'Spirit/Entity' that has been attracted by the energy given off by a child going through Puberty.

Yours may be a case of both happening at the same time OR is your Brother or Sister old enough to have either started Puberty... Or were they going through it at the same time as you 'came of age'. Either may explain the 'over lapping' experiences. As for the 'odd feeling you get'. You must ask yourself this, is this due to how odd these experience are or you really feeling these from the 'spirit/entity'?

Respectfully,

Rook
sw05 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Rook,
Thank you for the time you put into this post. What I'm gathering is that a poltergeist could be my own energy that is causing
These events? I have heard of this before but didn't really consider it because my siblings have experiences as well, I just refrained from posting them to shorten my post. Anyways, you are right about the lamps, it is difficult when dealing with electronics as there are multiple factors. I didn't mention that I had been antagonizing the spirit before the doors closing and light switch turning off. I don't do it often though. And about the presence... Its hard to explain. Its a feeling of being watched. Most of the time its just neutral and a little eerie, but after a few events I felt more uneasy and the whole energy of the room feels darker.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Sw05,

You have asked me to do this so away we go...

The shaking bed experiences, these are hard to de-bunk...unless you live close to a road that allows heavy trucks and your home is susceptible to the vibrations from them passing. As far as the lava lamp being the only thing that moved... How level is its bottom? (Just a couple of things to check)

Sense I've mentioned the lava lamp here's an idea of what may have happened here...

"Another time I came home from the movies to find that the same lava lamp from my first experience had been turned on. The strange part was that the bulb had been burnt out for several months. Wondering if one of my family members had done me a favor and changed the bulb, I asked them about the lamp. Everyone said that they hadn't even been in my room that night. For further confirmation that no one had changed the bulb, when I turned the lamp off and tried to turn it back on again, it wouldn't light up anymore."

Was the switch on the cord and if so was it one of those that you 'spin'? The problem may not have been with the light bulb itself, but rather the switch.

Now as you got older you describe things like hearing voices, not only by you but by others in your household. Doors opening by themselves and seeing shadow figures, these may be do to Poltergeist Activity centered on you as you go through Puberty. This can include objects vanishing and the being returned sometime later (you mentioned a pair of tweezers...)

Now this one...

"Once while outside after dark, Matt and I saw an apparition. Instead of the usual black shadowy forms, this one was composed of a white, misty substance in the shape of a human. It was "walking" back and forth in front of a tree outside. The night was clear and mild and there was a full moon, so we could see it very well. It was not a trick of the light, as it was very obviously in the form of a person. Matt and I stopped walking at the exact same moment and just stared without saying anything. When the apparition disappeared, I asked Matt if he had just seen what I saw. He replied, "Do you mean that white, misty thing by the pine tree?" Once again, I was completely baffled."

A shared experience, and your own 'de-bunking suggest that this very well could have been a paranormal event... As it has not happened again it seem a 'one off' thing however.

The blue orb in the mirror... And you feeling drained... Mirrors reportedly have properties which allow us to see across the 'veil' easier. In this case it seems you may have caused the 'blue glowing ball' to manifest and were only able to see it in the mirror. This may have been a 'non-sound', non-moving object manifestation of an energy discharge from your body as you go through Puberty. One you happened to 'see' in your mirror. You mentioned you fell asleep because you felt drained... Was this from some physical exertion on your part or did it just 'happen'.

Further 'evidence it may be Poltergeist Activity attached (coming from you) to you is what happened that day at school when the TV turned on.

The incident with your dog being 'locked into the bathroom, this may be a couple of things... Either a spirit is in your home and knows the rules of the house and so 'they' closed him in OR on some level you realized your dog was unattended and your 'Poltergeist' locked him I the bathroom.

Your bed being 'hit hard'...not sure... May have been 'your' Poltergeist, but could have been a 'spirit' or even You 'thought' something 'hit the bed' because you had actually dozed off and jerked awake.

Now I've responded to you can you please explain this comment to me...

"I usually don't feel a negative energy in my home - just a very heavy, oppressive, uncomfortable feeling. Therefore I don't feel that whatever this might be is evil or angry, but it doesn't feel like it's a protective presence either - just a powerful neutral presence that, for whatever reason, is in my home and wants to let us know."

Is it a Neutral feeling you get, or is it Heavy Oppressive and sometimes Negative? It can not be all of these. I enjoyed the details you provided, and you say you want your experiences to be 'as paranormal' as possible... I suggest (again) that you keep a Journal... It will help when it comes to de-bunking as well keeping all the details straight.

Thanks for sharing, Thanks for asking my opinion.

Respectfully,

Rook
sw05 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Rook,
I really want my experiences to be as genuine and paranormal as possible. Id love to hear which experiences you believe could be explained naturally and any explanations you have for them, if you have the time. Maybe I could clear some things up for you, as I didn't include all of my debunking:) thank you
sw05 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Argett,
I live near the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin
And thanks everyone for your feedback. I definately will consider keeping a journal, and you are all correct that some of these may have natural causes and I have considered what some of them may be and investigated possibilites at the time, such as the shadows out of the corner of our eyes. I personally haven't found explanations, but that's why I posted, for your opinions:). Any suggstions on where to check out my homes history?
themaster11 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
am new on here am happy 2 b here 😁 I love reading lot's of ghost stories... I love 2 hear what they say... Thanks
Beccas_Shadow (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Okay, what you just said made the hair stand up on my neck. I have had the SAME exact experiences as you! Just the other night in fact, the side of my bed did the same thing! It was loud and made my bed shake. It was something fierce. I was scared out of my mind. I always feel this dark presence following me. I think you should try putting some salt and olive oil on your windows and doorways. I'm not sure how well it works, but it's worth a shot!
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Hey Rook, Thanks for the feedback in quicktime... Much appreciated... I am more inclined to be convinced that it is definitley our subconcious picking up on what our concious level doesnt... Makes sense...

Thanks again

Rozo
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Rozo,

I'm not an expert, but perhaps that 'glimpse', that thing we see out of the 'corner of our eye' may actually be our subconscious picking up on what our conscious mind so often does not see or has been 'trained' not to see.

Mediums, Sensitives, Psychics even Empaths have either never lost touch with their 'Third Eye' or have 'relearned' how to use it. Each has their own way of 'picking up' on the 'other side' but even those who have not 'trained' themselves can 'pick up' on things with their unconscious, and then wonder if they have seen anything.

Just a thought or two.

Respectfully,

Rook
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Sw05,

This sounds pretty active and for sure sounds like it is trying to let you know that it is there... But as previous posters have mentioned, a lot could maybe be debunked with logical explanation and backround history... Perhaps try setting up some video camera or take pics when you see an orb again... To better cement your findings.

Rook, If I may, as in most cases and with me a few times, what do you think is the main reason for us always managing to get a glimpse of something before it disappears? Or out the corner of our eye, surely they don't know when we going to look up right? Or maybe they move in way that they know exactly when we are going to look up... I dunnno... Just heavy curious with this.

Sw05, sorry for hijacking your page to ask the above..., it just when I read your story it made me think of this again...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
sw05,

I agree, Research into your home, your Family History and a Journal are needed in this case.

Some of the experiences you described may have natural explanations, explanations you have not considered. This is why I suggest a Journal, keeping one allows you to write down all the details of each experience and then check and recheck them to see if there is a natural explanation for them, if others in your household are experiencing them and, once all the de-bunking and shared experiences are compared you are left with a written record. A record that shows what was explained and what was not.

From what you have shared, there may be more than one 'spirit' in your home... Or it may seem like that because as you have grown you've experienced different things... Some of which may be Poltergeist in nature. Again the Journal will help show, time, place and frequency of each 'event'.

Thanks for sharing, please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
I love tha your story is set in WisconsIn, which seems to have its share of ghosts. Sounds like you have several spirits there, both oppressive and playful. Have you researched the site? BTW, can you give me a general idea of what part of Wisconsin you live in?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: