You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Where Did You Get that God-awful Tie?

Real Ghost Stories

Where Did You Get that God-awful Tie?

 

I worked for years as a professional psychic and ghost encounters is just one of the themes I dealt with. I've heard many stories, not just from my clients, but other individuals that tell stories of how a deceased love one comes to get their dying loved one. The following story is so sweet and tender, I thought the readers here would enjoy it.

Valerie and Barry were very much in love and planned to be married; a second time around for both of them. They were looking forward to beginning a new life together. Barry's mom was bedridden with a terminal illness that left her unable to speak or voice her needs. Valerie and Barry took turns sitting by her bed for awhile in the evenings to read to her. They knew that even though she couldn't respond verbally or physically, that there was something inside of her that registered the loving support they gave her. She had once been an active community leader and her children benefited from her persistence and loving care.

They were heart broken to see her now frail frame ravaged with disease. She could no longer focus her gaze and stared emptily into space. They had lived together for over three years and were ready to make it official, but because of "Ma", had postponed their wedding several times. Friends and other relatives assured them that they would take good care of her while they honey-mooned in the Caribbean aboard a cruise ship. No one knew how long "Ma" would live and she was already in her eighties. Everyone joked about her outliving all of them as the family history was one of a long lived people. Her father had lived to be 95 and her mother 93 which they attributed to their involvement in the community; staying active and maintaining a sense of humor. They had been active up until their deaths of stroke and heart attack, respectively. They had not languished in pain as so many of their peer group had done and as one niece said, "They did well with their lives!" Whereas the loss was duly grieved, one could not help but smile upon looking back over their busy lives. They had made the most of every moment "God" had allocated to them. They took the good with the bad in stride; troopers of a very special order. With some reluctance, they decided to have a small wedding in the back yard and Valerie's two daughters delighted in arranging flower sprays around the arbor and the canopies that covered the dining tables. They fussed over their mother and even wheeled "Ma's" hospital bed to the window so she could watch. It was a festive occasion with family and dear friends present to celebrate their official union.

The next morning they left by plane to Florida where they would board their honeymoon liner.

While getting dressed for dinner, Barry suddenly doubled over, flushed red and sank to the floor. At forty years old, he was suddenly dead of a heart attack. Valerie was a very strong, spiritual person, but almost fell to pieces when she realized Barry was gone. She didn't need the ship's doctor to tell her what happened. She felt it and she knew Barry was dead and there was no hope of him being resuscitated. She was in shock, but rose to the occasion, abandoning the ship with the gourney and Barry's body. She made the necessary calls home to let the family know. Barry's son flew down immediately to help Valerie while other family members sat wringing their hands and sobbing. They had not even had time to clean up after the wedding. Bright colored wrapping paper with pretty white bows overflowed in the trash cans out back. Other presents in boxes still lay on the kitchen counters as the girls were planning to collect the cards and send thank you notes to the guests. Part of the cake sat in the refrigerator and empty as well as half filled liquor bottles adorned the kitchen and pantry. The festive occasion, now turned sour, left everyone grappling for something to say or do, but their was nothing but attend to the funeral arrangements.

Valerie went through the motions, doing what she had to do and only in private permitting herself to openly cry. She had two daughters, Barry's son and his mother to attend to, so she resolved to move on with her life as best she could. She felt the void, but continued their routine of sitting by "Ma's" bed for the nightly reading. Three weeks after Barry's death, Valerie sat by her mother-in-law's bed when Ma suddenly looked up, straining her eyes to see something or someone in the room,. She had not been able to focus nor had she shown any interest until that point and Valerie turned to see what she was looking at. It was late, she was tired and had been about ready to call it a a night when she saw Barry standing there smiling. Barry was a Libra, ruled by the planet Venus, Goddess of Love & Beauty and was true to his ruling planet. He was meticulous in his dress and personal appearance which the apparition mimicked except for one small detail. He was wearing an orange tie with little white ghosts all over it. Valerie looked at him and asked, "Where did you get that God-awful tie..." The only response she got was a smile. When she turned to look at Ma and then looked back, he was gone. A few hours later, his mother passed and Valerie knew that he had come for her, The ghostly tie was a reflection of his sense of humor. She was not afraid nor was there any reason to be. Barry was the same in death as in life and a tender last moment passed between them as he faded into Netherlands forever.

There was no question and answer scenario as in many of my other stories. I listened and gave feedback as best I could. She wanted to share this with someone and I was the one. Thank you, Valerie. Hope all is well. Hugs!

Other hauntings by Lenalaney

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lenalaney, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bluebonnet (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-28)
Oh my god that is adorable!...I LOVE the tie!...😆...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Thank you very much for sharing this story! I feel so bad for Valerie that she didn't get a chance to spend very long at Barry's side. At least she was able to see him one last time, though.

Warmest blessings,

DA
sweet_girl (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
It's such a lovely story which speaks of strong family bonds.

God bless the whole family of valerie and may the souls of Barry and his mom rest in peace.

Thanks a lot for sharing such a sweet story. 😊 ❤

****Be Happy! Spread Smiles!****
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-20)
I can't think of anything different to write without repeating the comments already posted.
A really lovely story, and being so well written makes it a pleasure to read. I'm so glad our sense of humour comes with us to the other side, otherwise I don't think I'd like to be a ghost!
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-16)
So sweet. I'm just saddened that Valerie and Barry didn't get to live a long, happy life together. I hope she's doing well. Thanks for sharing.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-16)
what a touching and beautiful story about love and family bonds.
thank you for sharing it 😊
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-16)
Dear Lenalaney,

I agree with all of the other previous comments made about your story or shall I say, Valerie, Barry and Ma's story. Their story is at the same time a bittersweet, delightful and light, levity filled story all "tied" up in one. A love and laughter connection that (ghost print) ties and binds in life and transcends even death.

May we all love and laugh in life and beyond, as these wonderful people have showed us by example. I appreciate you sharing their lovely story. --Abby
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-15)
Wow. What a story. It had love, sadness, and humor. Wow. Thank you for sharing that story. It was so very sweet but humorous at the same time. 😁 Thanks.

Ceary
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-15)
In total agreement with Martin. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. That was a heart touching story for sure.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-08-15)
Gotta love a ghost with a sense of humour 😊 Thanks for sharing the story, Lenalaney. It's nice to have a balance of sweet / scary stories on the site, it makes for good reading and remind people that the paranormal isn't all about monsters in the dark.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: