You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Night Of The Old Hag

Real Ghost Stories

Night Of The Old Hag

 

Way back in 1984, I was engaged to a young lady by the name of Sandra. She lived a couple of miles away from me in the small town of Pemberton on the outskirts of Wigan. Sandra lived with her parents, Annie and Jim, in an unremarkable terraced house that dated back to the early 1930's. So far as I know, there had never been a history of anything paranormal at the property. If there had, neither Sandra, Annie or Jim ever mentioned it to me in the three years Sandra and I were together.

One night in June of that year, Sandra and I had spent the evening at a local restaurant before going to see a movie. By the time I got her home, the heavens had opened and, because in those days I traveled everywhere on Shanks' Pony or public transport, Sandra persuaded me to spend the night there. The house was a two up, two down affair and so, I settled down on the couch.

For the first couple of hours I slept soundly, lulled to sleep by the ticking of the clock on the mantlepiece. Suddenly, for some reason, I was wide awake and fully alert. To this very day I have no idea what disturbed me. As I lay there in the darkness, collecting my thoughts, I heard footsteps coming slowly down the stairs. The stairway terminated in the living room and I could see the foot of the stairs from where I lay. The foot steps reached the bottom and then stopped abruptly. I can't say why but, I expected to see Annie, thinking maybe, that she had come down for a glass of water or something. No one appeared and the house was blanketed in silence.

I closed my eyes, ready to settle again when I was suddenly gripped with the most intense feeling of fear I had ever experienced up to that point in my life. My body was immediately coated in cold sweat and every muscle and joint became totally paralyzed. The only part of my body I could move was my eyes and they were firmly fixed on the clock on the fire place, whose dial I could read by the orange glow of the street lamp outside that streamed through the living room window. Annie and Jim rarely closed the curtains at night. It was just before three twenty five in the morning...

I seemed to lay there for an eternity, in a blanket of ice but worse was to come. Although I could see nothing in the semi darkness, I felt the edge of the couch sink as though someone were sitting on it. Then I felt a weight on my lower legs. Whatever was pressing on my legs, began to make its way up my body. It is impossible to put into words the terror that swept through me in waves that night and try as I might, I could not move a single muscle. Even my vocal chords were paralyzed so I couldn't make even the slightest utterance. I closed my eyes and prayed but my mind was fogged and I found it almost impossible to concentrate. I couldn't even remember the words to the Lord's prayer. If I thought I had experienced fear thus far, I was sorely mistaken. Through the intense cold and paralysis I was under, in the darkness of that room, something pressed its lips against my ear and sighed.

This seemed to be the trigger I needed. In my head I cried out to Jesus to save me and I immediately found my voice. My eyes flew open and I cried out. Instantly the paralysis left me and I leaped from the couch like a cork from a champagne bottle. I spent the rest of the night wide awake and eagerly awaiting the dawn. I didn't mention any of this to Sandra or her parents as they had to live in that house. However, had I known then, what I know now, through my research, I might well have done, for this entity is not a fixed haunting occurrence, tied to one place, and it wasn't the last time I would encounter it. It followed me and the second encounter was the worst.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Randall_A_Stone, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cerberus7 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-23)
Hi Randall
I really enjoyed reading this one as I have had a very similar experience. Made me shudder.
The weight of the presence and the sigh are significant to me.
My experience was one of the most tangible fear filled moments of my life. I was lying down flat on my back and a similar thing happened but the presence laid right on top of me with a sigh and a weight that sank me down into the bed. I also was awake but lying with my eyes shut.
This is a tale that I have yet to tell here.
Just wanted to tell you thanks for sharing that and I don't believe that it was sleep paralysis at all. I'm sure you know it wasn't.
It does make me wonder why this sort of psychic attack would occur at all...
The *Sigh* especially...
*shudders*
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
Randall_A_Stone - wow, I was completely captivated by your experience. As you described the entity moving its way up your body, I could feel mine tensing as I continued to read. I could almost "feel" it breathing on you.

I agree with Darkness. That you were fully aware when this occurred would have me leaning toward something other than sleep paralysis. That and the fact you have encountered it again.

Our minds can create fear when there is no reason for it, but... I also believe there are "things" out there that can scare a person to death...literally.

I'm looking forward to reading about your second encounter, if you would like to share it with us.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
Love the detail you have put in to this experience of yours, can just imagine the fear that you were experiencing at the time.
Im not leaning on the sleep paralysis outcome for this occurence, the fact that you were awoken then heard the noises and were coherent and able to move before the feeling on your legs says to me that you were truly awake.
Some entities do have the ability to just simply cause paralysis through fear and by other means. Shame you were not able to find out if they had their own experiences or house and land history.
Thanks for sharing.

Dan
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
Nice description of your experience although it must not have been fun experiencing it that night. Would like to hear about your second experience as well. Many people will say that what you experienced is an SP episode. I guess every experience is unique to each person and there is always a silver lining to everything.
billyak18 (5 stories) (41 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
Randall A Stone
That was a scary experience, I understand how you felt that night as I had a similar experience. But mine was just once and I pray to lord that it never happens to me or anybody. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.
Foxglove (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
That sounds terrifying (especially the sigh, ugh). But I do think it's a case of sleep paralysis. I've had a similar sensation of "rolling pressure" over me during an episode of paralysis, including inability to speak. Auditory hallucinations are apparently not uncommon either. It could also explain why you have experienced it more than once in different places?
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Wow, RAS, you tell a great story! Sounds a bit like sleep paralysis but there's obviously more to it than that. I look forward to the next installment and reading comments from other YGS posters.

Shank's pony must mean your own two feet?
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Randall A Stone That is some scary experience and I look forward to hearing your other encounter.

I haven't heard that saying (shanks pony for a long time) nice to hear it again 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: