You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The London Shop Stockroom

Real Ghost Stories

The London Shop Stockroom

 

I wasn't going to do this. A 2nd story. I hate the word story! I told my first account because I really needed to 'get it out'. It bothers me, you see. I chose this site at random on a Google search and just typed. I wanted to 'wash my story out of me' somehow. However, I've had such positive feedback and good vibes from here that I'm now really glad I found it. I'm enjoying reading about everyone's experiences and the comments from regular users. I'm heartened, in fact, to see that some stories published are taken 'with a pinch of salt', to say it politely, by the regulars here.

So, more in the spirit of telling my experience purely for interest this one...

I was born and raised in West London (moved to the countryside in 2000). One of my first jobs was in a large shoe shop. To help you visualize it - it was 2 big shops knocked into one, so a large shop, with the whole of the ground floor as the shiny posh shop floor and cash register, and the whole of the upstairs as the grimy stock room and storage space. Also upstairs was the little staffroom. The only stairs were in one corner of the shop floor, with a door at the top and the bottom. Both locked at night but wedged open during opening hours as we were constantly up and down those (bloody) stairs all the time to fetch shoes for customers/put stock away/get it out/go on breaks, etc.

It was an old building (again) late 1800's. The stock room was knocked through too and had no ceiling, you could look right up into the old rafters. A big drafty space, 2 shops wide remember - the bulky wooden shelving units for all the shoe boxes reached up a good 15 feet. You had to get on a ladder to the highest shelves. We tried not to fill them up that high. The units filled the space and ran parallel so it was like a library. You could walk round them at the ends by the walls and up and down between them, but never see across the room. The staff room was on the far side from the stairs in the corner. There were me, 3 other members of staff and a manager. OK. I like you to have a mental picture of it:)

From the moment I set foot in that stockroom it felt bad to me. When I got to the top of those stairs and stepped into the stock room it felt as if I were invading the space of something very very angry and very very active. It seemed to me as if it would come rushing to find me. It hated me. I constantly felt watched. From quite high up for some reason. I would go cold, I would get goosebumps, I felt every bit of my inner self telling me to run the hell back down stairs. But you can't can you! Not when you work there.

Not too bad if I wasn't alone up there. But, and this is hard to explain, I could tell when I was alone and when I wasn't by the atmosphere. If I was working up there for a morning, unpacking stock, for example. Obviously there'd be times when there may be a fellow staff member up there somewhere with me for a while. Sometimes we'd be working together or we would be working separately and chat by shouting through the shelves or I could hear them or I'd just know they were up there somewhere. But when I was alone I could feel this feeling come down on me like a cloud. Something had come to watch me. It wanted me out. I'd just know when my workmate had gone downstairs and I was alone.

Anyway after a couple of months I asked 2 of the girls I was friendliest with if they ever felt anything wrong in the shop. We'll call them J and W. J said yes, she couldn't bear the stock room, W said no, you're both bonkers, lol. Time went on. I used to dread going up there. I used to try to not end up up there alone for any length of time. J talked about leaving. I talked to my mum - she said when you're there alone next time try to talk out-loud to 'it'. I felt an idiot but I did. Honestly it made things worse. I got the feeling I caused fury. The day after I did this W came down on to the shop floor in tears. She had gone up for her tea break and had felt something behind her all the way across the stock room. She had turned and come back down and there had been heavy foot falls right behind her on the stairs all the way down, she said. Me and J were:O. We tried to comfort W. The manager, a lovely black guy about 6'3 and all muscles, came to see what was the problem, heard the story and admitted he hated it up there too! We'll call him Roy. The other member of staff - A - was a bit on the fence about it all.

W left the next day. Roy said he would try to make sure we could work in pairs up there, but we had to have our tea breaks alone and obviously couldn't go in pairs to get shoes for a customer.

J couldn't handle it and left the next week. I was looking for another job. So we now had just me, Roy and A until Roy could employ more staff.

A couple of days later Roy was ill and it fell to me and A to open the shop that morning. Great. I had the keys, and got in early because of opening the until and unlocking the internal doors etc. I said to myself that I would get onto the shop floor and open the till, but I wouldn't be going anywhere near those stairs or the stockroom until A got there. Then we could open up properly.

So I let myself in through the front of the shop, turned off the alarm... And I was doing the float for the cash register when it started. This banging. It was loud and hard and rhythmic. And it was coming from upstairs. I realized I was hearing footsteps. Stamping really. Those stamps went right across the ceiling - it was easy to 'follow' them, if you see what I mean. My eyes were moving over the ceiling with them. Bad enough, but get this - they went DIAGONALLY. You cannot move across the stock room area diagonally because of the shelving units filling the place. 'A' arrived just as this finished. I told her about it and she believed me. I asked her why she never seemed scared and she held her cross pendant and said - 'because I believe in HIM'. She was an Irish Catholic. I was envious to be honest. I worked that day and then handed in my notice.

All I can tell you about the place is that it was old, and that it used to be a butchers until about 1930 when it became a shop. I looked into it and that's all I could find out. This experience is different to the first I told here, in that it is all feelings, sounds and instincts. Different also because I was so scared sometimes of that stock room that I'd be almost in tears going up that staircase. I used to have to get out of sight of the customer and stand and and pull myself together before I went up for their shoes! I'm ashamed to say that more than once I'd get to the top of those stairs and couldn't go in. I'd lie then, and just say we hadn't got their size! Eeek. I've never been so glad to leave a place.

Thanks for reading x

Other hauntings by Mistyy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mistyy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Natters (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-24)
Love this account! Interesting to see it is now a Holiday Inn (hotel). Mistyy - bet you wouldn't stay there even if someone paid you?! 😆
ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Next time I'm in London I'm going to check out your directions and see if I can find it! 😁
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
It is strange how two very similar rooms, can just have a totally different vibe. This is another entertaining read, well written. I hope you return and give us another experience of yours.
osnapitsDebra (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-29)
Heyy Mistyy I didn't get the part when A said "i believe in him" What did she mean by that was it a dark spirit? Anyways what a great story hope you do more 😆

-Debra ❤
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-20)
Hi mistyy - I too hate the word "story" but I use it for lack of better term perhaps. What we have are experiences and we 'attempt' to share it the best way we can and the best way we know how but sometimes words just don't do justice to what we went through. For me personally, I am priviledged to have experienced soemthing paranormal as it does not happen to everyone.

Cheers!
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
Mistyy, your directions were perfect. I found it, and probably bypassed it last night because I was in that general area.

It looks desolate and depressing. I think the fact that the building is unused - or was, anyway - when the street view was taken is very telling.

The building even looks mean spirited.
Mistyy (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
Right - on google maps 'maps' view:
- West Ealing.
- You've got the A4020 in orange across the middle.
- You've got little Dean Gardens (park) to the right, and Hanwell Cemetry on the left.
- Get centered between these and zoom in so you can easily see Brownlow Rd where it meets the orange A4020. That's roughly the area.
- Go to satellite view + zoom in a bit more. Can you see where it says Starbucks Coffee? Well that's written on the roof of 'my shop'.
- get your little man and stand outside. There's a boy with an orange balloon outside the shop. It's got blue shutters. You'll know you've found it anyway i'm betting.

Happy hunting:)
Xxx
Mistyy (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
Google maps! You're a genius! <palm to forehead> I didn't think of it. I've had a look - and Oh.My.GOD the weird felling I got looking at that fecking place. It looks like it's not in use. The blue shutters (that were there when I worked there in the early 90s are still there. The sign is ripped down though. It hasn't changed apart from that. The area around it has improved by the looks of things! It was a bit more 'run down' when I was there. On google maps there is a flower stall right by it now and it's sunny and looks like a thriving happy place. THE SHOP is the only one looking a bit derelict actually. And obviously to me it screams bad vibes.

It will be a disappointment to anyone picturing some lovely old Victorian pile of a building. It's just a normal shop in a normal street. Interesting to see it from above. You can see it has an old chimney and the old pointy roof bit that I remember from within.

I manouvered the camera angle round to the front window upstairs and zoomed in. That window never let any daylight in and it's still grimy looking. I felt like I was going to see something looking back... The windows you can see at the side of the building are at the top of the stair well (so miles up above your head when you're inside) and are/were blocked off as well. No natural daylight in the stockroom.

If you're interested i'll try and see if there's a way I can tell you exactly where to look and zoom in on G maps satelite view and you can see it for yourself.
Xxx
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
After reading your building description again, I don't think I have located the correct building, but I do think I found the neighborhood. I keep thinking this is the spirit of a disturbed person who was shut upstairs for some reason. Or, perhaps stayed their of his/her own volition, though I tend to think of it as a he.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Mistyy, I think I found the area on Google Maps. There is one building that looks like it was fairly recently remodeled - looks like it was once two narrow buildings. It's set back a bit at an angle. I got a bad vibe from it. If the building you describe was remodeled at all, imagine the activity during the construction!

Thanks for the location description. I love Google Maps. Talk about being an armchair traveler!
Mistyy (2 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Argette that's an interesting thought. A person who was unstable or even psychotic in life would I suppose be an unpleasant energy in death.

This shop was on the Uxbridge Road, in West Ealing, West London. I can't remember the no. Of the property, but it was about half way between a small park and a big graveyard. Same side of the road as those. On the end of a block. Thinking about it it may have been a residential property before that part of the whole (very) long road went over to shops and business'.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Mistyy, thanks for responding. A chaotic presence suggests - to me anyway - that a very disturbed person inhabited that space at one time.

Yours is one of the most interesting stories I have read here.
Mistyy (2 stories) (18 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Argette, sds, rook, rollingstones, bizzjoe, dreamer + joybells - thank you for your comments ❤ Some very insightful thoughts.

Absolutely I got the feeling that I was not welcome in that space. I really cannot stress enough the feeling of walking into something's LAIR when you went in. Breaking a thick silence, y'know? There was a definite sense of this thing moving about the place. Coming to you as you entered, drawing away as you went into the staffroom. Sometimes I would feel it from way across the place, sensing ME. I can't explain it very well. Oh it was just awful!

The job I went to straight after that had a big stockroom in the BASEMENT! They told me this and I thought oh god, here we go. I was still very shaken, this was literally 2 or 3 days later. However, I found the new place totally 'sterile'. No bad feelings at all. It would have been easy to get twitchy down there too. But it felt light and empty, and I was so relieved.

I'd love to know how things worked out after I left that place, for future folk who worked there. I can't revisit easily as I live a couple of hours drive away now, and have done in fact since 2000.

The comment about an animal - you know I wondered about that actually, but i'm not sure. Animals were probably slaughtered on that site. It felt male to me. I didn't sense it's shape. I often felt it was higher than head height. I felt it was 'chaotic' if that makes sense? Not up for a chat at all!
Xxx
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
I agree with Dreamerxx. Why not return to the shop to see if the creepy events are still happening?
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Creepy account; I wouldn't have wanted to stay working there either if faced with the same experiences! Great read, thanks for sharing! 😁
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Mistyy that is a really scary experience you had and it made me feel scared reading it, to feel such bad scary vibes must have been exhausting for you, glad you got out of there before something bad happened.
Is the shop still there? If the owner was having staff problems while you where there this thing might still be giving the new staff the same problems.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
-4
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
it was probably a spirit bull that was not happy being chopped up & sold & eaten... But why do they have to taste so good?...
RollingStonesGhost (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Mistyy, Can't blame you for being so scared to work at that place. The story had the hairs on my neck standing up. Footsteps that go where they can't possible be in the current set up. That person feeling like their being followed. Your fear of going up in the store room... I agree with the other posters here... Someone wasn't happy you were in "their" store and weren't happy that you knew they were still around.

Even with Roy's help... I think I would have quit like you did. There are only so many times you can be pushed by a spirit before you yell... Enough. I'm glad you had the courage to stay on as long as you did.

Jesse.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
The first experience you shared with us was a simple...'Hey I'm here, look what I can do' type of experience.

This sounds more like what/who ever was there did not want to be disturbed and let whom ever could 'feel/hear' it know this.

Thank you for sharing this with us. 😁

Respectfully,

Rook
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Hi Mistyy, that was a scary narration indeed. It was a good decision to leave. I could visualise how you must have felt when you heard the poundings and whenever you went upstairs alone and you were candid enough to admit that you stood in the last step and came back to say no to some customers. But, I will tell you this, some places are really scary and you are not all alone. Even I experienced it in one of the rooms in the first floor when we stayed in Chingleput, a place about 60 kilometres from Madras, India.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
This is genuinely scary to me. Your description of the shop and its spooky second floor was so vivid. You really set the scene.

I cannot imagine taking a tea break alone up there, or stocking shelves either.

Thanks for posting, Mistyy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: