You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Haunting At Home, Or Just Old House Playing Mind Games?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting At Home, Or Just Old House Playing Mind Games?

 

I have never really talked about the things that go on in my home since I have lived here, but lately it seems to have gotten more common over the last 3 or 4 years. I have been in the home for a very long time, noticing little noises or other small instances but never really thought anything of it. But like I said, now it's gotten to be somewhat more active I could say? And considering I'm not an expert I would like the opinion of others, which is why I came here.

Also, I would like to explain I have experienced real hauntings in which I will share in other stories because they are in different places. But again I am no expert, and the hauntings I have experienced are extremely obvious and up close and personal. But in this case I would like more opinions from people who know their stuff, because its not really that obvious at all.

So to begin, I'll start out with the simple things. Mostly everything takes place upstairs in the 2 bedrooms. In my bedroom, while laying in bed, I will hear noises like tapping on the wall right above my head, sometimes scratching noises on the other side of the room. In my bathroom on occasion it sounds as if someone standing in there, as if weight is settling and almost like someone is playing with the water in the toilet or sounds of things moving on the sink. In the bedroom across the hall you can hear as if someone goes through the room, like searching for something. But I can't distinguish if these sounds are actually from of the supernatural or just the house settling because I'll get up from bed and go stand in the room and I won't hear anything else until I leave and get back into my bed. I'm not easy to scare, even when I hear these noises it doesn't startle me and I just go back to sleep.

I also pay attention to the reactions of my 2 large dogs. A little background on my dogs as they will somehow know when a cat will be in our yard even if all the windows are closed, they are very very keen and very protective of this house. They are so protective of me that they will not sleep on the floor, they must sleep in my bed lol. But their reactions are quite intriguing to me, being that they would attack any living thing that walks on my property if they feel it was uninvited.

They go about things very differently with the noises and sounds in the house. For instance, almost every night I can hear something upstairs that is seemingly either crawling or dragging itself from room to room very quickly. My dogs will stand up, my boxer will go straight to the bottom of the stairs and just stare while the hair on the middle of her back makes an instant Mohawk. I thought it could be a critter like a raccoon or something that gained entry into the home, but my dog have killed raccoons and other critters but they will not go up the stairs when these noises are being made. And by the way my boxer looks at the top of the stairs, she seems like something has spooked her. I will go up and check but my dogs won't follow, just watch and not make a noise. Of course, when I get up there the noise stops and doesn't continue until I have come back down. It just bothers me because nothing seemingly spooks my dogs unless it comes to this.

Other things I will see my dogs do, is when they are in the bed with me. It's weird because I'll wake up and they will both have their heads down, but right after both of their heads will pop up and simultaneously look in the same direction, which is the door to my room. Then in unison, they will slowly follow something and their heads will pan slowly from my door to the door that leads to the attic. Once their heads stop in the direction of the attic, they will just stare and stare and considering I'm already too tired, I just go back to sleep so I never figure out how long they stay like that. They don't bark or anything to my knowledge, just stare plainly.

And to the last part which deals with the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. This has been going on for years but in the last 4 years, 3 different instances have me troubled a bit. Now, like I said, I'm not easy at all to scare, so I don't go to bed having trouble falling asleep or scare myself with thoughts, I'm usually very calm.

The first of these 3 particular instances was kind of weird. I had woken up seemingly wide awake and had complete consciousness of my surrounding but I couldn't move or say anything. I didn't really fight back but I could hear something at my bedroom door which sounded like slow, yet very heavy, breathing. It had to have gone on for like 15 seconds, then when it stopped I had free control of my body. I just shrugged it off and went back to bed, figured I was "sleeping awake" basically, and since my dogs made no reaction whatsoever I disregarded the incident.

The second of these instances came maybe a year later. I woke up once again, seemingly wide awake, but this time my dogs were not in the room with me and it felt like someone was smothering me. I couldn't breath or move or speak. I didn't freak out but instead I got really, really mad and in my head I was saying, "Get the F#%$ Off Me!" It immediately stopped right after that and after about 3 minutes of trying to figure it out, I just went back to sleep.

Finally, the third instance is what has me troubled a bit. It was maybe 6 weeks ago. I was dreaming that someone was dragging me off the bed, I was on my stomach and was being pulled towards the top of the stairs. In the dream, or nightmare, I couldn't fight back or anything. When I got to the stairs I woke from the dream, only to find myself laying on my stomach about 10ft away from my bed. I still couldn't move but I could see the stairs from where I was at. Both dogs came up the stairs, but when they saw me they both retreated back down. For what seemed about maybe 3 minutes, I couldn't move or speak.

Now I'm not totally worried that this could be a ghost or anything, because I know that I do have a history to sleep walk, but this instance still has me somewhat intrigued considering the other 2 examples I have given.

That's pretty much the insider on the findings in my home. I don't feel scared or threatened at the moment because I don't know if there is anything to be scared of to be honest. I just thought I'd share to maybe get insight of what all this could be, from just my mind playing with me or even just a house settling due to age and weather changes? Or it could be something seriously trying to get my attention.

But all opinions and thoughts are welcome, sorry if this was so long. Thanks in advance for any help resolving these issues.

Other hauntings by TheDon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheDon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-03)
Been a LOOOONG time since I have been back in here. If anybody is interested the noises and such have calmed considerably as of late. Actually had my living room light flick on and off real fast 2 times but other than that no more sleep paralysis and my dogs have been pretty calm around the house.

Havent really had the time to dig deeper into the history of the land, been very busy actually as things haven't been so well in the family lately. In the past 6 months both my grandma and grandpa have died and the family as a whole is kind of in a spiral.

But yeah, if anything else goes on ill be sure to note it. Perhaps ill finally set up that video camera and see maybe if I can get anything on video.

I appreciate all the help.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
No I don't lol, its been rather calm as of late. And I'm sorry for the lack of updates but I was out of town attending to some unfortunate family affairs.
phil911 (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
You need to buy a new house bbbbbbbbbhsjsjhdhdhhdhshvsvshshshshdjhddhhshshdhs
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
yeah that's a good idea, thanks narella. Its going to take me a little while because I have got a lot on my plate at the moment, but ill figure it out sooner or later.
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
You could check with your local historical society. If they didn't have the information you needed they would probably be able to tell you where to look.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Narella, sorry for not replying. I looked at Ancestry.com and the names come up but you have to pay for the rest of the info. I don't have the money really for that.

But thank you for trying to help and if you know anything else I am all ears:).
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
VasiliosMonaxos,

During Sleep Paralysis our bodies are 'between' being awake and asleep and individuals dreams seem to carry over... This leads to people having hallucinations and it seems the most commonly reported one is that of an 'old woman' sitting on the individuals chest, holding them down and in some cases squeezing the breath out of the individual.

It makes it very difficult to say if what the individual is experiencing is a Haunt or Sleep Paralysis... And why so many of us 'regulars' here on site suggest seeing a Doctor to determine if there may be a medical reason or not.

Thanks for asking.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Ill keep that in mind Vasilios, thanks for the input and if I have anymore night terrors or sleep paralysis ill sure make a note of it on here.
VasiliosMonaxos (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Greatings TheDon,

Thank you for your respect.
Sadly the attacks intensify, I am only saying things that I have experienced. Mora can drag you out of bed and she can actually start hitting you on the face. My grandfather had this attacks and he used to see her once a year. You know, it is not only us, that she goes to.
I have used spells to repell her away, but every thing went wrong, she started attacking me more often.

Rookdygin have you ever thought why they call it the 'Old Hag Syndrome'?

Thank you for reading.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Have you tried Ancestry.com? I've actually found a lot of personal information there about people long dead.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
TheDon,

Thank you for the update, good luck 'hitting the books'. Please keep us updated. Again if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Ok well I finally made it up to that graveyard in the middle of my neighborhood and snapped some pics. I looked up some of the names that were legible to me and found this http://tn-roots.com/tnshelby/cemetery/tate-marks.htm

Really isn't much history on the Marks Family other than that they owned the land the neighborhood sits on. They share the graveyard with members of the Snowden and Yates families as you can see. What makes that so interesting is this group of families must have owned a lot of cordova back in those days because I know of another cemetery about 5 or 6 miles away that is the Allen-Yates cemetery which you can check out here http://tn-roots.com/tnshelby/cemetery/allen-yates.htm

But what has me frustrated is these families are obviously a part of Cordova history yet there is very little about their history on the net from what I can find. Guess I'm going to have to go old school with the research to find some records.
zoexx (1 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Don't react I'm know expert but my friends mom is and she has told me everything I know. Don't hang about get out before it starts to hang on to you like one did to me and my family 😢 You don't have to listen to me but I think just get out we stayed in our house for 13-14 years my mom is sceptical and won't move my dad wants us to after my sister Laura have been possessed and tried to kill my other sister Becky one night! Don't freak it is a ghost not demon a dark spirit its not good people say you can do this and that to make it past on you can't its there and that's it its not going to go so you must leave before it gets even more angry. By the way by what you have said the ghost is angry because when your hair stands up on your body its angry that's also why it gets cold your dogs hair stood up. Dogs have great senses. The dogs have sensed that the ghost is angry that's why they run away or avoid it because they don't want to get involved and you shouldn't either get out while you can. You have a chance I don't!
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
I'm going to respectfully disagree about speaking to the possible entity in your home. If somebody was a horrible person in life, I don't think they're going to be a sweet spirit in the afterlife. You don't know who you're dealing with. What if it decides to increase the activity after you speak with it? I'd record and film but I'd wait to speak to it until you have more information on who or what it is.
GreyFeather (44 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
I like that you're taking it all in stride. I agree with the other posts to lay blessed sea salt across you door entrances and window panes, and also sage smudging along with positive empowering music. I'd also add some Holy Water blessed from the nearest church-just walk in and ask for some. I don't believe you need any other permission than the fact that you live there and you're alive-there's your right and permission.
The fact that your dogs don't growl or bark at it and seem to cower from it even when you're on the ground, is very interesting. Usually animals are aggressive against such negative spirits. Your dogs seem to show that it's something to be reckoned with. Don't let it stay.
Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
TheDon,

Wish you the best, Please start a Journal and Keep us posted. Feel free to ask any question you may have, either here or contact me via my e-mail addie on my profile.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Ok so basically state my intentions and then be clear of who/what I'm talking too. Sounds easy enough, that's part of my job anyways lol.

Thanks again Rook, hopefully I can get to the bottom of this. A small part of me actually hopes I don't find anything, I have had my scares in the past and don't know how id honestly feel knowing 100% there is something this darn close.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
TheDon,

As far as setting out and leaving digital recorders on, or setting up a Video Camera its pretty easy. As you place them about your home just state out loud that you are placing them so that 'who ever' is in your home can communicate with you, if they have a message they may say it into the recorder and you can listen to it later. Or if 'filming' then whoever is there can 'show' themselves and you can see it later. The BIGGEST thing to keep in mind is that you are speaking to 'whatever' (if anything) is already in your home... You do not want to invite 'something' in that is not already there.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
VasiliosMonaxos,

This description of yours...

"...an old womans spirit that would came at night while you first go in bed and hold you down on it, living you out of breath and movement."

Sounds a lot like 'Old Hag Syndrome which may also be 'Sleep Paralysis'.

It needs to be determined which is happening to the O/P...is it a 'spirit' or is it a medical condition. Once that is determined a solution can be found.

You also REQUESTED the O/P to do this...

"Please DO NOT PERFORM ANY SPELL CRAFTING such as salts and enchantments."

Was (is) there something specific you were referring to?

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
VasiliosMonaxos, very interesting. But if I was haunted by something like this wouldn't it be more common? I mean 3 times in the last few years doesn't seem like a major deal.

Im not trying to be rude or disregard any possibilities and I'm very thankful for your input as it may help me about what's going on, I'm just trying to cover all the bases before I go and make an absolute judgement and you guys are pretty much the only ones I feel can really help me with this.

But does this Mora also have the ability to drag me out of the bed as well? Does Mora do these things sporadically, do the "attacks" intensify?
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Thanks again Rook. Obviously didn't have my thinking cap on when I asked about that,2+2=DUH lol. Anyways just making sure just in case I need to go that far, want to have some kind of plan in case of some kind of emergency.

SDS, thanks for the input. As far as the journal goes I'm probably going to go about recording myself while I sleep so get a good idea of when I sleep walk and such. It used to happen very often when I was younger, but now its basically a once in a while thing. As of right now I'm just guessing the sleep paralysis incidents are a mixture of me sleepwalking and me being awake but my body just not reacting, because I figure if it was a malevolent spirit the instances would be more common wouldn't they?

The only thing that really kind of irked me out of all 3 instances was the first one where I could hear that slow but heavy breathing. I haven't heard anything like that since but it was genuine.

Also I asked this question before but I never got an answer, I would also like to record in various parts of the home but I think someone mentioned to ask permission first. How do I go about doing that and knowing if something actually gives me an answer? If I do have a ghost and its not mean I don't want to offend it in any ways.
VasiliosMonaxos (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
TheDon, I have read your article and I did came through with this before. The thing that is hunting you is called "Mora". Mora was first seen in Ancient Greece, it believed to be an old womans spirit that would came at night while you first go in bed and hold you down on it, living you out of breath and movement. I have had this experience before. Many people have seen her as well. They say that she is a shadow. The way to get away from her is to call a priest to make an exorsism, in the area that you have the activities. Please DO NOT PERFORM ANY SPELL CRAFTING such as salts and enchantments.
I have tried and it was a bad idea!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Hi TheDon, you are a courageous person. The behaviour of your dogs definitely gives clues that has been happening in your house. I go with MizMiMi02 to check the history of your house and land. Well, if possible try to ask your neighbours or the previous tenants or owners if they happen to hear or experience any paranormal activities. You being dragged out of the bed is one thing that is giving me a quandary as you said that you have a history of sleep walking. But the other times you said you could not move even though you were fully awake might be due to sleep paralysis. Keep up a journal as rook advised. And do the cleansing as suggested by rook and after which you can put the salt.

And Rook thank you, I will try to paste your cleansing method whenever I advise someone in this site and list you in the credits. Wonderful gesture.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
TheDon,

This is where Cleansings and Basnishments, and in 'worse' case scenarios Exorcisms 'come into there own'. You preform them and ensure the 'area' is 'clean' before salting/sealing it against 'spirits' entering.

Hope that is of some help for you.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
question about the salt thing guys. I know salt is a barrier ghosts and what not can't go across, but the thing I want to know is what if I put salt at my door way and it keeps something in?
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
well I know this land was farm land back in those days and home to around 150 people. I have tried looking up this particular cemetery before but couldn't find any history about it, but then again I only searched google and the history of where I live is limited by those means.

Think I may take a walk up there tomorrow and get as many names and dates as I can make out and do a search on them.

Ill take pics of the site and graves as well if anyone is interested in taking a gander.
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Then my next suggestion would be to check out the history of the land. Who knows what may have happened there. With a graveyard so close, it's possible that whomever/whatever is around, could be buried there.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
MizMiMi02, I don't think there is much of a history with the house. The neighborhood itself was built in the late 80's so the houses are considerably young.

But, and I know this sounds rather cliche, there is a small graveyard inside the neighborhood. My street is a long oval, and right in the middle of that oval is where the tiny cemetery is located. Basically my street was built around it, I don't think it was moved. Its nothing big, maybe around 12-15 graves. They are rather old as many of the head stones are almost unreadable and the dates you can see vary from late 1800's to early 1900's from what I have seen. Its been there for quite some time.
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
What is the history of your house? Not to try an instill fear, but is it possible that a murder or other horrific act took place there? I guess I'm think specifically about the following entry:
"For instance, almost every night I can hear something upstairs that is seemingly either crawling or dragging itself from room to room very quickly." This reminds me of a time a while ago, where I had heard something similar at a friends old farm house. After some research, she found out that there was an attempted robbery, and the wife had tried to drag herself to the door for help before bleeding to death near the front parlor. I would look and see what you can find, you might be surprised.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-04)
oh and by the way I'm 31 years old, ill make sure and fix my profile so I don't get thrown in with teen stories anymore lol. Sorry if that was an issue guys:).

And soon I will also be posting about hauntings that actually did rattle my nerves, 2 in particular that had me literally wanting to jump out of my skin. Very very up close and personal experiences. 2 of them actually dealing with homes in my neighborhood where friends used to live.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: