You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Nonbeliever Now Believes

Real Ghost Stories

A Nonbeliever Now Believes

 

Let me start off by telling you that I have always been a skeptic. Even when I lived in Charleston, SC (one of the most haunted cities in America) I have always found a logical explanation for weird occurrences. Just a few weeks ago I had an experience that not only terrified me, but changed my views on the paranormal. It also doesn't help that things keep happening ever since. With that being said, here is my story.

One Monday evening I came home to the basement I rent in Leesburg, VA. I proceeded to get comfortable, make dinner, and grabbed a soda, and sat down on the couch to relax watching TV. After about 10 minutes I got really cold (to the point where I could see my breath). I got up and checked my thermostat and it said 68 degrees. I then started a fire in the fireplace and went and grabbed the blanket off of my bed. That's when I heard laughter right over my shoulder. I looked around but nothing or no one was there. I went outside in the backyard to see if a neighbor was outside or something and maybe that's who I heard. Nobody was outside. I took a deep breath and lit a cigarette.

I few minutes later I went back inside looked at the time (11:47 pm). I realized it was getting a bit late so I sat down on the couch. That's when it really picked up. I pulled my cell phone off the charger as it now had full charge and began to set my alarm clock. The battery died! Next thing I heard was the glass on the end table shattered into a spider web all the way around, the TV turned off, I heard a deep laughter even louder this time. Next my back door that was locked and dead bolted flew open and shut. That's when the TV turned back on and the basement went back to normal temperatures.

Small things keep happening but not to the extent of that night. I'm afraid that it will escalate once again. I asked the couple I rent from if they have experienced anything like that ever before. They say no, but she wouldn't look me in the eye when she gave her answer.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whrtnkvn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wyland_Renald (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
You said you lived in a basement. Before we conclude it is the supernatural, we should try to rule out the natural first.

For a starter, here are some questions. You don't have to answer any of them. But if it is any of them, they could have an effect. The human mind is very complex too, so it could be something natural than supernatural.

Did you check for molds, gas leaks, etc? Have you been stressed recently?
Have you been sleeping well?
Are you on any medications?
Do you suffer from migraines?
Are you epileptic?

I am a skeptic, even so I am open to the supernatural. I just want you to rule out as many natural possibilities before concluding it was something supernatural. Sites like this can be great for finding out about the weird happenings and how people deal with it, but sometimes I feel the posters jump in to reinforce what the poster already feels instead of having the poster step back and reexamine what they had experienced.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Rook has given his cleansing recipe. I have done it several times now and I know it works. Also, it's good to keep a journal.

About the research, why don't you ask the neighbours. The reason I say this is because if they lived there long enough, they might know (1) how many people have live in the basement apartment before and (2) if anything happened in the basement or in the entire house. Even a small clue could be found to base the rest of research on. I'm not sure of the steps you can find the history of your house as I'm not from the states but you can go to your local library or local municipality office.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Very scary stuff. I also don't believe the woman was being honest withyou since she couldn't look you in the eye. Do like Rookdygin says and do the cleansing in the apartment. Maybe you can convince the land law to cleanse the rest of the building.
In the mean time try to find out any history of not only the house your basement apartment is in but the area you live in.
Many battles were fought in the colonies during both the Revolutionary and Civli wars.

Regards
Red
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Wow, now that would seriously have me unnerved. Good syory, bad experience. Hope it gets better for you.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
whrtnkvn,

A good thing to do is start a Journal, keep track of all the odd events... Do they seem to be 'growing' in strength over time? Other things to note, time of night, phase of moon, weather at the time of the occurrence. Complete details of what happened and anything you have done to 'de-bunk' the experience. Just some ideas as to what to put in a Journal.

If you truly feel uncomfortable, please try this... Keep in mind if you can not do the entire house it will only provide temporary relief as the 'spirit/entity/energy' will simply 'fade' from your basement apartment and then return...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
The lady you rent the basement from is clearly trying to cover something up if she won't look you in the eye when you asked if she had noticed anything so clearly she has. As has probably had others that have rented there before you tell her the same thing. I think its sameful she dosent have the good manners to disclose this to you, this could get her into some nasty trouble if someone gets hurt by this spirit. Legal problems conserning non-disclosure of a possibly dangerous issue is very serious indeed. Though proof with spirit problems may make it very hard to prove as there is so many disbelievers of the spirit world.

I think this spirit was just trying to get your attention and when you ingored it. It upped its level of attention getting standard, it frightened you a bit at the time but I don't think it wants to hurt you or upset you. It just wants someone to pay it some notice. Be nice to it, maybe talk to it. Something simple like saying hello to it when you come home. And see you later today before you leave to go to work etc. It will most likely be ok.

Unless you want to cleanse your house of the spirit then there is probably someone on this site who can help you with this. As sadly I don't know a cleansing spell.

Thankyou for the enjoyable story,
Sebastian.
icewolfghost (17 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
well its good that you now believe. But you found out the hard way didn't you! 😆
whrtnkvn (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
I actually did do some research. The only thing I could come up with was civil war troops marching through the area.
Hades666 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Why is it that whenever you ask the neighbours they never give you a straight answer. I think you should do some personal research on that house to see if anything strange has ever happened. You don't what you may find. Great story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: