You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man On The Hill

Real Ghost Stories

Man On The Hill

 

When my husband and I first got together, like any normal man, he took me to meet his family. His family owns a little over 200 acres of land out in the middle of nowhere. Cow country, if you will.

A couple of months later, we moved onto family land into a single wide trailer. On of our favorite activities quickly became walking the land. My husband would tell me about different parts of the land and what they were supposed to be. The land was wild and full of history on many levels. The kind that you tell someone about and they're on their seat to hear more, then want to actually visit the place after, just to see if it's true.

When we moved in, I saw the man on the hill. Dressed in doeskin pants and leaning on a long hunting spear with a chest dress on. I recognized him as what some of my shaman friends called a guardian. Though what he was guarding was a total mystery to me.

Just below the hill there's a small pond dug into the side. I asked him what was in the pond, and smiling proudly he told me, "Bass. My dad and I dug it out. We found a burial ground here, but we tried not to disturb it and put things back the way we found it when we dug out the pond." It was then I told him about the man on the hill. He just shrugged it off and we went on our way with our walk.

I went to my teacher and asked her about what my husband had told me. She thought on it for a few moments and told me, "He's guarding the dead. He was charged to make sure that no one took anything they weren't supposed to, or tried to disturb the dead that rest there."

I looked up the local tribes old set up grounds, but could never get a solid answer on whether or not there was a tribe that was actually set up in this particular spot.

I've never gone to the hill to try to disturb it to see if she's right. But he's almost always there. I catch glimpses of him every now and then, standing and watching. Forever doing the job he was given. He's never moved from his spot, and seems to always be in the same place.

I don't need any help with this. Just thought it interesting enough to share.

Other hauntings by SilverBear

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SilverBear, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SilverBear (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-01)
[at] bornparanormal- no. He's. Always just stayed on the hill looking over the field.
Bornparanormal (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
😕 I need to know so if you kindly would e-mail me if you are scared of him or not or if he has ever ventured near or close to your house
SilverBear (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
[at] WhiteWolf - I planned on planting a fruit tree at the bottom of the hill as a sign of respect and peace. No one else has disturbed the hill since the burial ground was found. But I do feel, because I am 3/4th's Native American myself, that I owe him my respect.

[at] SebastianRaynes73- I don't want to plant on the hill... But I do plan on planting at the bottom, and saying a prayer of thanks to the spirit.

[at] zetafornow- I find him curious and I respect him for what he is doing, but he's not there to protect me, but the people that rest in the ground, so they stay at peace.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
What a beautiful story. Do you feel safer that he is out there watching over the burial ground? I would. Also, he may have some loved ones in the burial ground that he also watches over.

Lovely story, zeta.
LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Wow that's so neat. Always wanted to live on a large plot of land like that. Instead I'm stuck in cramped Chicago. Thx for sharing!
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
SilverBear, Its really good that your other half and his father put back any things in the site that they accidently disturbed when they dug the pond. I think if they hadnt that "Man on the Hill" wouldn't be so peaceful and still as he clearly is now. As youve said he is clearly a guardian spirit and I think your very lucky to have seen such a special spirit.
As the first messager said. Why don't you plant/leave some flowers or sage on the hill as a peace offering. And even if you don't see him when you go up there, go up near where he stands and talk to him. Telling something like "your glad he's there and protecting the burial sites there. And your glad that he is around" or something similar. If you let this guardian know your happy and fine that he is there. He will be a lot happier.

Sebastian.
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Silverbear,

I think that you should place some flowers or something on the hill to show respect to the spirit and to show the spirit that the land will be respected.

Whitewolf,

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: