You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: New House... New Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

New House... New Ghost?

 

So let me start by saying, I have never experienced anything supernatural prior to this. In fact, I would call myself a supernatural skeptic.

Last week, my husband and I bought a new house (new to us, anyway, originally built in the 1950's). Our first couple of nights there, we both thought we saw something at the top of the stairs, but neither of us are really into the ghost thing, so we figured we were just freaking ourselves out, being in a new place and all. We've heard a lot of noises, banging and knocking and what almost sounds like voices sometimes but we haven't made out any actual words. Always from the second floor.

Originally we were actually concerned that someone was squatting in our house. The weather has been really cold here and the house was vacant for almost four months prior to us moving in, so we thought maybe someone who didn't have anywhere else to go saw an empty house and figured, why not? But we've searched everywhere and haven't found anyone. Possible there's some nook or cranny we haven't found yet, these old houses have a lot of "surprise" hiding spots, but we haven't found anyone.

There was one thing that really freaked us both out, though. The bathroom on the second floor. We generally keep all of the doors in the house open, because...well, why close them if no one is in them? The door of that bathroom keeps closing on its own, and I SWEAR I've turned the light off in there but it's on more often than not. The door thing could be a draft of some kind but again, it's been really cold, the windows are closed and the storm windows are in. But who knows.

Anyway, so my husband went upstairs the other day and came down and asked me if I had written anything on the mirror. I told him no, I hadn't been up there all day. So I went to look at the mirror and there was all kinds of... I guess they were letters, but they didn't really spell anything or make any kind of sense. Just kind of backwards and upside down almost-letters. We have no idea what it was written in, but it was difficult for me to clean off, even with Windex I really had to scrub.

Aside from all of that, there is a closet across the hall from the upstairs bathroom that my cat absolutely hates. He walks by it and hisses at it and there's literally nothing in there. But of course, he's a cat, and they're all nuts. He's never really hissed at nothing before, though, and he's not particularly adverse to any other spot in the house. Just flat-out hates that closet.

So as I've said... Both my husband and I are skeptics when it comes to ghosts and the supernatural, and we figured everything that had happened could have an explanation. But the letters on the mirror really freaked us out.

So I thought I'd get some opinions of those who have more experience with this type of thing than we do. Do we have a homeless person secretly living in our attic and making noise and closing doors and leaving us indecipherable mirror messages? Or could this possibly be something else? Could we be in any danger?

I don't think I'm particularly attuned to any kind of energy, but I don't feel anything negative in the house. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CrimsonMoon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
It could be that whatever is visiting your house comes through the closet, could be why your cat hates that closet. As for the mirror, no clue. It seems like a lot of stories menton the closet thing. I wonder why that is.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
CrimsonMoon: I really think I'd rather have a ghostie than a homeless person! πŸ˜† I feel there's more to fear from the living than from the dead 😒.

Please keep us updated about your findings if/when you decide to do any recording, or if the activity increases 😊
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Great Story... Are you doing any repairs or remodeling in the house? From what I've read in past posts, changing things in the home tends to stir up activity... Or it could even be the items that were left behind causing residual energy... This is just my opinion... Thank You for this Story! I hope you find out what's goin on. And Plzz keep us updated...
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Now I know I need to drink a lot more coffee before I get to commenting on this site. Lol.

I appologise to Miracles and zzsgranny for mixing the two of you up. My profound appologies to you both. Now if you excuse me I'm going off in search of some much stronger coffee before my brain implodes or runs away to join my mind where ever it went. πŸ˜†.

I appologise to the OP for hijacking your post. Looks like your doing things to try to find out what's going on in your house. I hope you find out what is going on and get it settled soon. I wish you the best of luck with the research.

Going crazy. Anyone wanns come along for the ride? 😜
Sebastian
CrimsonMoon (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Oops totally forgot - to Shlain, that closet across from the bathroom upstairs. As I said, it seems normal, but there was some stuff left behind from the owners. Two dresses wrapped in plastic, pretty fancy looking, actually, and a couple of men's dress shirts as well, just hanging on the rack. I didn't move them, just pushed them to the back of the rack. So there was some stuff left, including a piano in the basement (which we were SO happy about!), but not a whole lot in that closet.
Thanks!
CrimsonMoon (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Hi, and thank you to everyone who's commented here! Sorry for my delay in posting; as anyone who has ever changed houses knows, it takes up a LOT of your time
I think we may end up doing the camera thing. We tested all of the doors on our final walk through before we went to closing, and they all closed and latched just fine, and we've been testing them after we shut them to make sure they're shut all the way. Lately we've still been hearing weird noises, my best friend got to hear some talking-type sounds and knocking the other night. She was terrified, even though I told her it's been happening since our first night and we don't know what it is.
To Shlain, the closet across from the upstairs bathroom doesn't go to the attic, it's just a normal closet. Our attic has pull-down stairs in the ceiling above the master bedroom. And that closet SEEMS normal, aside from the fact that our poor cat wants to murder it. The noises SEEM to be coming mostly from upstairs, haven't noticed too much weirdo stuff on the first floor aside from a few things moving and showing up in strange spots.
To Miracles51031, don't worry about getting off topic, I loved reading all the different comments. This site is so cool. I still don't know what the writing on the mirror was from. When we found it we had next to nothing in the house, no soap or make up or lotion or anything. It was when we were painting some of the interior rooms (boy, they sure did love wood paneling back then), so we hadn't really moved anything in yet and I didn't find anything in the medicine cabinets or under the sinks.
This was really scary... So there's a door that leads up to the steps going to the second floor. Which is convenient, as it prevents cats (and eventually kids) from playing on the steps. The other night I was coming downstairs to make sure everything was turned off and locked up. So I'm on my way downstairs and it felt like someone walked by me, like brushed against my shoulder, and then the door at the bottom of the steps opened and then closed. Now, there IS a window at the top of the stairs, as I think I mentioned, so it's possible it was a draft blowing from that window. I don't remember if it was a particularly windy night or not, it's been constantly cold here so it's possible, but the windows seem like they seal fairly well (they were replaced in 2011, so they're not the original windows) and there's storm windows, too.
So, as I said, the camera thing sounds like a good idea. I mean, I haven't seen anything with my own eyes aside from what might have just been shadows, but cameras could pick up stuff that we've missed. The house was part of an estate sale, and the seller did tell us both of his parents died in the house. Neither of them violently, they just passed away at home, but that could be telling. Who knows?
Again, thanks for everyone's help! I liked reading all the thoughts and ideas here. Hopefully we can figure out if this is just an old house, or a secret homeless person living here, or... Something else 😁
maverick22 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
haha lol at miracles 50131
Pretty creepy story... Its not often you hear about ghosts trying to communicate with writing!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Whoa - too early this morning for me to try and joke around. I think that should have said "Disclaimer" and not "Disclosure." Funny the things that come to me long after-the-fact πŸ˜†

Where's my crown?!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Disclosure: I am not now, nor have I ever been, zzsgranny.

But I figured I should close my response to Sebastian letting him know, although he addressed his comments to granny, I actually asked the question πŸ˜‰

CrimsonMooon - sorry for derailing your story. My apologies. Great story, btw. I really enjoyed it. Especially your comment about your cat πŸ˜†

As for what the writing on the mirrors was written with, when I read it the first thing that popped into my head was Vaseline or a lip balm/clear lip gloss type thing. Just a thought.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Sebastian - thanks for answering my question, and for the other information.

Zzsgranny aka Miracles51031
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Zzsgranny, sorry about that, I will clear it up for you. My appologies. I was yesterday going through some papers in my filing cabinet in my home office looking for some photo's I have that have some spiritual / orbs things in them with hope of finding them to post up with a story I'm putting together to try and submit as soon as I get it together well enough for people to want to read and enjoy without it going to crazy and overboard. I don't want to make it a little overboard. When I was going though a folder with some other ghost info things that I have when I came across it totally by accident. I had been given it about 6-7yrs ago while working in Brisbane for a few months. I honestly didn't even realise it was here. I just put in my ghost things and forgot all about it. Thats the problem with working all over place, sometimes I just plain forget half of what I have.
Sometimes, if the OP wants it I will post it as soon as I can when I get home tommorow as I'm away from home tonight for a meeting with the head's of a company to do with the goverment who might take me on for more contract work, and I don't have the paper sheet of the cleansing with me or Id post it now.

If your interested I will do what I can to put it on as soon as possible tommorow after getting home about 6pm Australian Central time. Give or take an hour or so.

Thanks Zzsgranny.

😊 Sebastian.
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
CrimsonMoon,

Thank you for sharing.

The noises that you and your husband are hearing could be natural like the house settling since you said that the house has not been lived in for some time.

Check the pipes in the house and how much electricity is being put out because it creates a fear cage which is caused by high EMF (Electromagnetic Field) this can cause paranoia ex. Hearing voices, seeing things especially if you are sensitive to a High EMF which many people do not know that they are.

The writing on the mirror is a mystery to me I have never experienced that before.

Good luck in your new home and I hope that there is not a person sneaking in.

Whitewolf,
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
Sebastian - just looking for clarification, if you don't mind. You state, "But one thing I can try to sujest is a cleansing of your home. Someone on here most likely has a good one. I have a very basic one if you like I could post it for you. I don't want to take up to much room in the post and it will." And yet in a comment to someone else, you said, "Unless you want to cleanse your house of the spirit then there is probably someone on this site who can help you with this. As sadly I don't know a cleansing spell."

Basic or not, a cleansing spell is a cleansing spell πŸ€”
reneespring (148 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
What were the letters on the mirror written with? You said they were hard to scrub off.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
CrimsonMoon,

Thank you for sharing.

Firstly, I want to know if this closet opposite the upstairs bathroom is what leads up to your attic or is this just a normal closet? Is there anything in the closet that looks out of place, like, scratches on the inner walls or doors, or even something you found left there by the previous owners.

Your cat could be picking up on something your not strong enough to sense. However, if you and your husband have both seen something standing at the top of the stairs at night then this should be investigated further.

The bangs and other noises; where in the house do they come from?

Hope to hear from you soon.
DarkSeed4 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
I would highly recommend than anything else, to put up cameras around areas in the house that seem to have the most activity. Just see for yourself and see what's "really going on". Honestly, you won't gain anything from asking people (who don't know your house) about what's going on. And by now you should already realize that finding possible explanations is a dead-end, because explanations are endless and don't stop. I know it may be weird, but discuss with your husband about putting up cameras in the house. I mean, what if there "is" someone actually getting into your house now and then? You might find him/her in the camera. Who knows? You will not know until you try.
boni (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
I would suggest you put cameras in the house where said activity has been happening and check the footage.
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
Zzsgranny, you crack me up. If I laugh any harder I'm going to fall of my chair. πŸ˜†

The camera is a brilliant idea. I'm using one currently to try to catch the damn cheeky ghost in my house. Been here a month and I'm sure its trying send me to the loonie bin. Australians have crazy sences of humor even in death. My fifth house in South Australia and all of them have had ghosts. Boy can I pick 'em. Lol. πŸ˜•. πŸ˜†.

Sebastian (Australian Citizen since 2003). Canadian Citizen too.
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
CrimsonMoon,sounds like you could have a bit of a resorceful and playful spirit. Trying to keep you on your toes. And obviously trying to scare your poor cat, as I'm sure other posters will tell you animals are more sensitive to other world spirits. I'm newish at this others will have much better idea's as I'm still learning. But one thing I can try to sujest is a cleansing of your home. Someone on here most likely has a good one. I have a very basic one if you like I could post it for you. I don't want to take up to much room in the post and it will.

Zzsgranny is right about what could be going on with the door problem. I have had similar problem in the past with a door that did the same thing and it was because it was slighty out. Check the latch before much longer. I too can't give you an answer to the light problem other then maybe the switch is off kilter. You could get a electrician to check out it if your really worried. Spirits can have strange idea's when it comes to playing jokes sometimes.

Sebastian.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
CrimsonMoon: One thing I would suggest is to test the door. Try opening it in different manners, (slowly, quickly) to see if it has a natural swing. My bathroom door in my bedroom will open on its own if it's not latched, and well after we've walked away. Freaked me out when we first moved in, but it happens EVERY time, not just once in a while πŸ˜†. So that tells me our little house isn't quite level.

The light? Ain't got a clue πŸ˜†.

If occurrences like small items going missing and turning up in odd places, footsteps, or even voices start happening, then I'd lean toward paranormal. You may want to invest in a video and/or voice recorder if anything else unusual happens.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: