You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Coffee Time?

Real Ghost Stories

Coffee Time?

 

Let me begin by saying, unusual occurrences are not 'new' for me. Indeed, until I was in my 30's I could see, hear, and sense things that other's couldn't. However, these things deeply disturbed my then husband, and I pretty much shut it off, I guess. As they say, "if you don't use it, you lose it." The ability isn't 'gone', just not as strong as it used to be. About 10 years ago, after the death of my 20 year old son, I sold our large house and moved to a very small upper apartment in what used to be a single family dwelling. It's a very old house - the foundation is lime stone and river rock, if that helps date it for anyone. I've been told that places it back around the mid to late 1800's.

For the past 10 years, except for hearing my name called out occasionally, as if to say 'Hi!', or feeling as if I've been hugged, nothing unusual has happened. Personally, I like to believe that hearing my name called in that manner is a family member saying hi, as they go about their afterlife. The 'hugs' could be some product of imagination, or a muscle twinge, I suppose, but I'd rather believe that it's my boy reassuring me that it's all ok now. I guess that's something else you should know before reading further - I am a logical person. I always look for an explanation before accepting something as unexplainable. Not all bumps in the night belong to a ghostie. However recently, within the past month or so things have happened that, well honestly, I begin to wonder if maybe (as suggested by some others) I'm beginning to lose it. Actually, that's why I came here. From what I've read most of you have experienced and won't just write me off as daft or becoming senile (I'm 54, if that matters).

Because of the economy I took in a 30 year old roommate, the only reason that matters is he's actually witnessed some of this, so I know I'm not just imagining things.

The first weird experience happened early one Sunday morning. I had just poured myself a cup of coffee when J came out of his room, which is just off the kitchen. We exchanged the usual morning pleasantries, and I sat my cup down on the counter while he was telling me about some new girl he's crushing on. I reached to pick it up - and it was just gone! I looked in the sink. Not there. "J, did you see what I did with my coffee?" He replied I hadn't moved from there. I even peered into the trash bin that sits next to the counter. Not there either. I frowned and poured a new cup wondering if maybe I hadn't poured the first to begin with. We decided to go sit in the living room and watch some TV. I stopped dead, rounding the corner because there sat my coffee cup, still hot on the small table by my chair! Ok, that was weird. Since neither of us had left the kitchen, how did it get there?

The second experience happened about a week later. I woke to the smell of freshly brewed coffee, which is unusual only because 1) I'm the only one that makes it, and 2) we don't have an 'automatic' that you can set to do so. In order to get to the restroom you need to go through the kitchen (as I said very small apartment) and I could plainly see that there was a pot of coffee on brewing - the amber liquid still filling the pot. Well, I went and did my business in the restroom, and when I came out - there sat a cup of coffee, where I could swear there hadn't been one before. I could hear J's bear-like snoring from his room, but I still questioned him when he woke, and he insisted he did not make the coffee either. So, I just sort of looked about and said "Thanks". I have to admit, getting a cup I didn't make myself is rather nice, but... Made by a ghost?

I'm not afraid or anything like that, just curious as to if anyone else has experienced this type of thing.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
5 years ago (2018-12-02)
Mystic,
Ah - four is a fantastic, inquisitive stage.
If you can work at home while he's in preschool, through the lower grades, that's a big plus the way I see it.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-02)
Hi Val! He just turned four. He will be formally starting pre-school in June (we live in the Philippines), and I'm starting to invest to be able to work at home by February, so I can still watch over him at school.:)

Yeah, I've been reading your stories. You know how I came across your stories? Because of my love for Chicago (the band). Love them! So, when I opened YGS, I started reading good stories from Illinois. Haha.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
5 years ago (2018-12-01)
Mystic, no not crazy. But, you might need to guard yourself from becoming over protective and impeding his growth, and that my friend, is very hard to do. How old is your son?
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-30)
I'm sorry for your loss, Val. I lost my brother, in 2003. We weren't sure if he's the ghost in my parents' house, but when I was still staying there, I would often see a guy in white shirt at night - the cause of the dogs' barking. I was too afraid to go out of the house then. The man would just walk around the house, then he's gone. Never saw the face, though. Some members in the family have seen him, too. But given the location of our house, it's not likely that someone would just walk around in the middle of the night. But I guess, someone's guarding us then - me and my father.

Anyway, I've read your story "Garden of the Gods." I can relate to the feeling; the fear of losing your son. I have one, too. And I'm kind of OC when it comes to his safety. Never allowed anyone to take him out, except me. Does it sound crazy?

Best regards.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-14)
Val, I completely agree!

Gawd, this is a bit embarrassing, about an hour ago I was catching up on YGS. Binge reading really, thinking 'I should take a break'. When my tea, which was set beside me on a table next to my desk, had suddenly gone awol. Engrossed I was, reading away, reached for my cup in vain, 'twas gone.
Oh dear. It had moved to another room next to an arm chair I usually sit in. I guess someone was telling me to take a break. Little happenings like this convince me this ghost reads YGS over my shoulder (!), probably read this story and the comments too. It wouldn't surprise me if your coffee maker starts again. πŸ˜†
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-13)
Tweed,
I THINK that some spirits are just a bit more sympathetic to those of us still on this side. Perhaps they were that way in life, nurturers, kind-hearted souls. They have no wish to harm or scare, but they want their presence known so they do nice things.
Haven't had coffee made for me for quite some tie now. Kind of miss it.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-13)
Val, I think it's probably the ghost I think of as my guardian. It started last year, the kettle moment was, I think, April this year. The timing seems to coincide with bouts of activity from him and me getting more comfortable, I guess, with interacting with him. The tea making seems to always be when I'm going through a bad time. I put it down to absent mindedness with stress for a while. But the kettle day saw an end to that lol. It is EXTREMELY weird seeing objects move!
The other reason I think it's him is because *someone* started turning the heating up around the same time the tea making started. This heating coincides with me having found out, through him, about cold spots, which I always thought was fiction. Perhaps he's self conscious of making the place chilly now. πŸ˜†
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-11)
Well, dang, Tweed! Sounds to me like we have more in common (event wise) then I initially thought.
Yes when it does happen, my coffee is how I like it. However it's kind of hard to screw up black coffee! Lol
You saw the kettle MOVE? That, my friend is very cool. It's no wonder to me that it took a while for your tea makings having been laid out for you to make an impression. I've had experiences where I've witnessed moving objects and it is quite astounding to the senses.
Do you have any idea who your tea-maker might be?
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-10)
Hey Val,

Not sure if you're going to see this comment or not. I've been reading a lot of older stories lately, just started working my way through yours.

I just had to comment on this because it happens to me sometimes. Thought I was going 'round the bend at first too lol. That is until one rough weather (very noisy) day I entered the kitchen just as the (stove top) kettle was lifted and set on a cool element! The bloody thing had boiled without me hearing it because of the weather. Well, on the bench sat my cup with milk and a teabag ready to go. I didn't even realise how significant the cup/milk/teabag was until much later, however, because I was so impressed with the kettle's apparent new superpower.

Out of interest does your ghostie make your coffee just how you like it? Because mine seems to know exactly how I make tea. Err yeah, always nice but very strange! πŸ˜†
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-03-28)
Gode, it's 'miss'. 😳 There is comfort in knowing I'm not the only one this sort of thing happens to. Things going amiss and showing up somewhere else, I generally put down to forgetfulness on my part. But coffee brewing itself, and a full cup of hot joe apparently being transported - well that's a bit harder to just shrug off. If I had ever left the kitchen after pouring it, well that would be a different matter. Almost everyone I know sometimes does things 'automatically' without thought.
My mother use to say (especially when exterior doors would open without reason) "Kind spirits, come on in. The rest of you stay out." That pretty much sums up how I feel about this situation. 😊
Gode (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-26)
I can see that this is an old post, but I hope that you still will find my message, miss or misses valkicry.
You end this fine story by asking if others have had experiences like this, and maybe I have.

I have had a lot of strange experiences, with what I believe to be the world of the so called supernatural, and many times during my life have I lost things, and then some time later suddenly have them returned to me by ghosts? Or at least that is how it fells when it happens. BUT I admit that my memory sometimes teases me so that I just simply forget where I leave my stuff.

But then again, some times when I am looking for something, and have been looking all over my apartment for this object, then there it is, in the middle of a table where I could swear it wasn't before, as if someone have left it for me

I believe that I might be one of the lucky ones who have a guardian spirit/angel/entity helping me out sometimes, that's the feeling I get when such things happen. Maybe I will post some of my own stories on this site at some point, you see this feeling of having a protector also grasps me sometimes when I feel attacked? I have had experiences where I awoke at 3 in the night several nights in a row, feeling that something malevolent was looking at me, wishing to harm me, and all the classics being present, the room being strangely cold, a bad vipe in the air, strange shadows which seeme larger then they should be, sometimes memories of a bad nightmare follows me when this happens, but I ALWAYS feel that someone is there with me who's is protecting me as well.

But I don't like to make finite statements, like I HAVE A GHOST HELPING ME OUT! Because I accept that if these forces I believe that I sometimes interact with, exists, and it isn't just my imagination, then I am sure that this part of the world is much more complex then even the most wise mediums believe it to be

BUT I guess what i'm trying to say, is that I believe that someone is making them self known, and teasing you at some times but also trying to be helpful at other times, maybe the same being who hugs you?
😳
LeavesFall (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
That's pretty awesome. It's like he saying "I'm here, but I want to be friends. Let's have a cup of coffee!"
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
LoveParanormal,
As to this date,I'm unsure of who my ghostie might be.
LoveParanormal (7 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-27)
Hello valkricry. 😊
Nice story, yet strange experience...
So who was it who made a coffee for you? Did you get any clue?
Umm... Your departed son?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Thanks for the comments!
Both my parents were big on coffee drinking. From morn to night the coffee was on. Although my son wasn't a drinker of it, he use to make/pour me a cup now and then. One of my fondest memories was when he was about 4 and made me a cup of instant using hot tap water. Oiii - it was the worst cup of joe ever! πŸ˜†He'd used a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon full of coffee to make matters worse and the tap water wasn't quite hot enough to desolve the granuals. Nothing like coffee that crunches. But the look of pride on his face, and the 'because I love you', you know I drank/chewed down every last drop.
Thanks again for all the comments.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
(At) Psychicmama... Lol ditto everything!

Aproxyte this story intrigues me and makes me smile... It could be your son or, since you are sensitive, someone decided to help out around the house from the beyond. It could be someone attached to J, and it came with him, maybe the two of you combined ratcheted up the energy field to allow this "spirit" to be powerful enough to manipulate objects. I too would like updates if you can, and, maybe you could just ask who it is?

Thanks again! ❀
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Hi valkricry:
I am so sorry for the loss of your son. We never expect it to go that way. I do like your story and for a couple of reasons. This spirit does not frighten you or does it seem to be harmful in anyway, in fact; quite the opposite. Being a morning to noon coffee drinker, I love the fact that someone else in the spirit world seems to appreciate the smell of freshly brewed coffee. I also can totally relate to your first paragraph... I have similar experience with that.

Anyway...is there someone in your past that used to drink coffee with you that is gone? Maybe it is your son, your grandmother, a friend. Someone that is popping in to let you know that they are still peeking in on you from time to time. It seems as if the only experiences you have had surround the coffee. Try to connect that to someone. Also, in the morning you should sit by the table and try to talk to this spirit... Thank them for the coffee and maybe something will come to you.

Keep us posted! Lastly... 54 is still quite young! And it seems to me that you still have it going on!

😊 zeta.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Can I please borrow your spirit?😁

One less thing to do first-thing in the morning.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Well think of it this way: He won't haunt you, he will make you coffee! 😊

Maybe its just to show you that he is not a threat to you ❀
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-24)
Hi Ash, That is so cool that your sister experianced something similiar to me! It makes it seem not quite so... Freakish, you know?
ASH4321 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-24)
Hi this story is very nice condolences for your son. My sister had a coffey made for her by a sprit she belives as she has no clue where it came from she just woke and it was sitting there.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
Oh, it was his broken watch. My Mother has passed. She had the sight like you wouldn't believe. All of my siblings have some crazy gifts that can make you crazy if you aren't careful. Well, we were all sitting around having a beer and talking about how we handle our gifts. We had some of my mothers stuff from the train wreck and pretty much no one wanted it, but since I was the only one who had never gone to the crash sight, or met any of her relatives I said I wanted to hang onto her father's watch until I saw the wreck. It was pretty overwhelmin right away, but that was a good thing because we all could understand my mother better. That's how it works for me anyway. I just ask nicely, and I see it.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
Oh, Swimsinfire, what a terrible thing to have relived! I wonder what triggered it? Is your mom still living? Or was it shortly after she had told you the story? I agree that we should never get so attached to the dead that we forget to go on living ourselves. That just isn't healthy.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
ah yes explain the experience. Actually, I mean the comment keeping it healthy. I had an experience of "seeing" a train-car wreck that my mother had been in as a child and lost her entire family in. It was reenacted a couple times, and my grandfather had looked up at the last minute right at me. Well we got attatched and it was the best part of the day to get home, sit quiet, and feel his presence. I learned to play musical instruments that he played! I mean, I could just play them. I have a gift that he had-has. You know it got kind of unhealthy, and one day I could feel him give me a hug and just back away, which was probably for the best.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
Rockaholic - too funny! πŸ˜† Maybe if I'm real nice it'll whip me up some 'boo'berry pancakes too? πŸ˜‰
ROCKAHOLIC (1 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
why can't you make your own coffe you going to start relying on that ghost to make you coffe
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
Manofmystery656565; Black Orbs? Nope. Oders... Not sure if it means anything, but now and then I swear I smell bananas- when there isn't any. It isn't unusual for me to be up at 3AM since I get up at 4 to get ready for work.
SRCO1, thank you. Yes, it is one of those things where you think, "well that's weird - but kind of cool". 😊
Manofmystery656565 (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
I've seen a lot of stuff in my days, I am a spiritualist, and I come to say your not imagining it. I'm pretty sure there is more to this story than meets the eye. For me to comment I need to know if you see black orbs at the corner of your eye? Do you smell sweet or foul odors? Are you sound asleep and then wake up at aproxiametley 3:00 am? I will be glad to help you but I need more info.
SRCO1 (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
Wow. I need a ghost to make me coffee in the morning. That would be awesome! Now that's a good spirit. Condolences on the loss of your son.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
JennZ and psychicmama, thank you for your condolences and thoughts.

Yes, Swimsinfire, I have thought that it might not be my son, since it has been some time, even though sometimes it can feel like just yesterday. To the best of my knowledge none of his friends have passed. If you can explain the experiance, please have at it. 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: