You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Time Slip In New York

Real Ghost Stories

Time Slip In New York

 

It was a few years now back in 1999. And I was on a rest break/holiday in New York. I was 26yrs old and just divorced from my first wife and because the settlement had just been finalized. I decided to take a break for a week. I was tired and stressed at work. Thankfully my boss understood at the time and recommended I go to New York. It was baseball season he and I are both Yankees fans. I thought that I'd catch a game while I was there. Turns out the Yankees were in Cleveland that week. Sadly and it wasn't until 2001 that I got to see them play live. Again while on holiday. Not that it mattered as it turned out I had enough excitement on this holiday to last a lifetime. And it came in a very odd way. At least to me as I hadn't previously ever experienced anything like this before.

I was low on huge funds so a friend of a friend recommended I stay in a cheap (sadly not to clean and a bit sleezy) hotel/motel in the East Village. I can't remember its name, sadly. But the hotel was old and had clearly seen much better days. I didn't plan on doing much but sleep there, as I had a lot I wanted to do in just a few days. I'm a Museum and Art Gallery buff and as New York has some of the best of both I was going to spend time visiting them. After learning the Yankees were interstate for the week, I went to find something else to do and wound up seeing a Broadway show matinee, of all things, on my first full day in New York. The show was "Cats" and I really thought it was worth my time going even though it was the first real theater show I'd been to beside my school productions, which I always got stuck into performing in. I hated it. It was more fun to watch the show. Anyone going to New York I recommend you go to a theater show. If your lower on funds the matinees are a better chance and there often isn't a massive amount of people and you can get really good seats, as I did. Second row, dead center. Couldn't ask for better If I tried.

Anyway enough warm up talk. Down to business of the reason I'm here posting this. I had been in New York four days of the 8 days I would be there. And I found myself back in the East Village around 5pm in the evening and I was feeling hungry. I'd had a busy day visiting the Museum of Natural History, which I really think is fantastic, and was deciding between going to go and eat then go to my room to rest for a couple of hours and see what happens from there, or get something to eat, go and shower, change and keep on out finding things to do. After much thinking I'd see how it went after having something to eat as my stomach was rumbling.

After a change of clothes in my room, I went out to look for a nice little place to eat, somewhere quiet and relaxed. I walked from the Hotel and turned into the walkway, I think on my right, and started hunting down a cafe. A lot of places I tried were over run and had no empty tables to much later in the evening. So I kept looking. I can't remember the name of the street or how I got there from my room, all I know is that it was still in the East Village and that I remember only by sight and landmarks how to get there from my room. This was prior to 9/11 and there were a lot of people out enjoying the nice warm night. I don't know what made me stop and look at this one place. But when I saw it I first thought "How cool, a 60's style coffee house like cafe." I was a little surprised that this place which looked so warm and welcoming was not over run with customers. There were only about 4-5 other people sitting at nearby tables eating, drinking sodas and laughing happily or in what looked like serious discussion.

I walked to the door to look in further and barely got there when a lady with almost waist length strawberry blonde hair and a long skirt and peasant style 60's shirt came over and asked me if I would like a table. The atmosphere felt so welcoming that I just couldn't say no. So I was taken in to this table along the side wall that had placings for two and was asked to take a seat. She took my drink order, left and quickly returned with my Coca-Cola and a menu. First thing I noticed that the Coke was in an old fashioned glass bottle with the brand name in the glass. I hadn't seen one like this since I was a Kid in the mid-1970's and they were dumped empty ones. I thought how cool is this and maybe Coke has made a special limited edition of the bottles again for a anniversary of something. I drank some and it tasted cold and good; just what I needed after all the running around all day.

I looked over the menu I had been given. The food on offer looked really good and the prices were unbelievably cheap. When the waitress came back, I ordered the Chicken Burger with fries. And while waiting looked around at the others in the cafe. Two guys with their girlfriends who looked like rock musician with their long hair. They had smiled at me as I had sat down. A man by himself in a tie-dyed shirt and bandana. Another couple who were older, like in their fifties who looked a little out of place as I guess I did. And a man about my age with long hair sitting playing a guitar in between bites of his salad plate. He music he was playing clearly sounded vaguely like 60's Hippie music. I actually was starting to enjoy it by the time my burger and fries came. The meal tasted fantastic, loads of flavor and lots of it for the price. After eating the main meal I got another Coke and ordered a equally cheap but extremely tasty chocolate cake piece for dessert. It was brilliant.

Meanwhile, I looked around me fascinated with the amazing detail of this so authentic looking 60's style cafe. The table had candles in glass holders that flickered a warm glow. There were lights in the roof but they were obviously dimmed to give the place a relaxed feel. There was a mural on the wall with people dancing, rainbows, musicians, animals and plants etc. It looked very high quality like a famous artist had done it or something. The place looked absolutely brilliant. And the people there looked and seemed friendly. I wondered how long this place had been here and if it had actually been around since the 1960's... As a lot of things like shops and galleries, etc., had been open 30plus years.

When the chocolate cake arrived the waitress smiled at me again as she had done other times that night. And said to me while looking at my then new Ray-ban sun glasses in Aviator style... She said, "groovy glasses, man." I tried hard not to laugh realizing that if this is a place that's set up as a 60's cafe, I thought she was just playing out the character of the times and I thanked her. After I finished my meal and asked for and paid the check. The whole $3.25. I was so shocked at how cheap this huge portioned meal was I left a $5 tip. I'm sure the lady probably thought I was crazy. It was well worth every dime. After I said my goodbye to her. I asked If I could make a dinner placement to tomorrow night. She of course said yes and in a book near the counter where I paid my bill. And I left for the night.

On the short walk home I found myself thinking about this unusual cafe. Thinking too how lucky I was to find a non-overcrowded cafe with good cheap food, friendly staff and nice surroundings. The cafe had felt so warm, friendly and welcoming. Nothing really seemed odd. A little too fitting with the 60's maybe, but that was because it was themed (or so I thought).

For the first time in a long time I slept a sleep broken by strange dreams I can't recall much other than it seemed I was in that cafe. Only now it was old, dilapidated and unloved. I thought little of it as I put it down to the fact I was just in a new place and I was just getting used to the weird hotel and the strange shadows the place had.

Anyway, the next day I again spent in the city's various cultural diverse galleries and market stalls, Little Italy, China Town and some other various well known visitors' hang outs. And was, again, now tired and hungry and looking forward to a nice dinner at the cafe that night. So again, I went to my room to change and freshen up, and left to make my reservation.

And that's when I got the biggest shock of my life. I reached the cafe early by ten minutes. But still I wouldn't be ever able to eat there. Where I was sure I left a great cafe the night before was a dark, empty boarded up store front with smoke damage around its frame. All the windows and the door were very roughly boarded over and it looked like it had been that way for years and years.

Thinking I must have had the wrong place I walked up and down, back and forth across two blocks nearly getting my poorly functioning mental compass really confused. For over 2 hours I looked. Not one place I saw was even close. And after fruitlessly hunting for 2hrs. I gave up my search and vowed to look into it in the good light of the day. And found a MacDonald's to eat in instead.

Next day, let's just say things got plain strange. Again I retraced my steps looking up and down, back and forth over the same area I had the night before. And could still only find that badly covered over, empty, dark cold boarded up shop with some smoke damage on the walls on the outside beside the window frames like the fire had blow out the windows at sometime. I was standing looking at the empty store when a lady in her 60's asked me if I had seen the place too. I told her what had happened the night before. And she told me she herself had experienced the cafe after it had long closed, as I had the night before. And she went on with my probing to tell me that, Yes there had been a 60's Coffee Shop there in real life. And it had been very popular. It served really good food really cheap. The problem was the cafe hadn't been open in that place since the big kitchen fire during closing hours in 1974. No one was hurt or killed, and no one could explain why it happened. The owners had no funds to fix it and sold the store and left the area.

The next people re-did over the shop, each time someone moved in they didn't last long. Eventually after many years of bad luck with shops there in the building, the owner decided to sell it, but another fire made it impossible and the building was declared unsafe, and had been boarded up empty for the past 15yrs at the time I saw the long gone Cafe there that night.

Was it a time slip I got lost in for a couple of hours? Most people I have spoken to seem to think it was. And I apparently wasn't the only one besides that old lady to have been caught up in it. There are as many as 7 others who have had dealings with the long shut place.

Not that anyone other than that one old lady would tell me anything, as much as I tried to find out. Most people tried to dismiss my question or laugh at me saying I was seeing things. One old guy asked me if I was high (I've never taken drugs in my life). Another, a lady in her 80's I'm guessing, demanded curtly I stopped asking about that "Damned filthy Hippie drug users cafe that keeps on showing up". Clearly she had seen it since it had shut, too, but dead set refused to talk to me. And the last guy I talked to gave me a filthy look and muttered something about F'n tourists. I thought I'd leave the street and go do more tourist things before I got anyone more upset and got arrested or something.

I tried looking the place up on the internet but because I didn't know the name of the place. It didn't help out much and I couldn't find anything out.

Still to this day I wonder why it happened to me and what did actually happen. All I know is that if I do visit New York again, I may just try to look for the cafe again. With any luck it may show itself to me again. All I know is it would be worth finding again. The food there was great. And very, very cheap. You sure got value for money.

I'd like to know what you all think. Thanks for Reading.

Sebastian.

Other hauntings by SebastianRaynes73

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SebastianRaynes73, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
chapulin - it's not that we don't believe places like this exist, or that people have experienced them, it's the author of this story we didn't believe. There are actually several other stories on this site that are completely, and without question, believed. There's just history with this one.
chapulin1234 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
I know this story is from 2013 but I would like to say that things like this do happen, in my hometown there is a legend about a place like that, to give you an idea of the place, it is a souvenir/new age shop that appears every year or so, and the reason why I dig into it was because I dreamt about a store like that, very vividly, like if I was there, it was full color, bright and amazingly detailed - I mean, I saw these crystal pieces and I remember seeing the cut, the detail of each piece like if I was seeing it with my own eyes, of course was a dream but because I dreamt the place and I knew where it was (in my dream I see myself in the street, entering the store) I actually went to the place and obviously, nothing... Then I asked around and that's when they told me about that legend of people actually claiming to have enter such store.
Believe me or not, I just thought of adding my two cents for the people that says this story is baloney... 😊
teenagewitch21 (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
I'm not being judgemental and I'm not criticising, no I don't know details of any other stories from this member, iv just read the story and all the comments. And while I do agree that its not a very convincing story and know that this site is for true accounts/experiences, it's the way people are talking that I didn't like. Obviously I'm not an admin I don't know what's done before these stories are made public or what rules there are before they are made I just don't see why people feel the need to say such nasty things about other people that's all. 😐
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
teenagewitch - it's really easy to sit back, without knowing all the details, and criticize. Maybe if you have gone through everything with this one that we have, you'd be a little less judgmental. There are rules we have to follow, even when we don't necessarily like it.
teenagewitch21 (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
Personally I think this is quite a good story, yes it may be fictional but its entertaining. Does every person that has commented on this story really have nothing better to do than be rude or upsetting towards the guy who wrote it?!

So many of these comments are stating that this site is for TRUE stories, but then is there nobody running or monitoring this site? Could they not just leave these "fictional" stories and not publish them on here or remove them. I see no reason for anybody to be spoken about or treated this way. How would you feel if we were all against one of your "TRUE" stories? Do you truly believe that every one of the thousands of stories on this site are true? If the people running the site don't believe a story don't publish for everyone to read, simple
meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
I don't know if this person's story is true or not, but being a big fan of "time slip" stories (which I've read lots of on various paranormal sites) and found it very interesting and entertaining.
rynne (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-11)
I stopped reading after the first few lines of 2nd paragraph and came straight to comments, see what others were saying. Glad I didn't read anything after the "cats" show stuff! Am a new yorker, so first, I am thinking even if one does not know the name of the "cheap and sleazy" hotel, if your experience (which I have yet to read abut) were true, you could have given the cross streets or a landmark near the hotel, which are numerous in that area. Importantly, it is difficult to believe that you did not know your favorite Yankees team was not playing in at that time. When that came up the second time, I began to wonder if this was someone genuinely writing to share/ask/figure out what they experienced.
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
I really hate it when people use this site like it's a fiction site... If you just read the first page you should know the stories are supposed to be real. I agree with zzsgranny and all the others, but I think the reason we tend to believe is almost solely because we have had strange experiences in the past. That and honest people don't expect others to lie- we honest people tend to be naive when it comes to the depravity of others. 😠 😒
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
Aw darn. I was so interested in this one... Really drew me in. Well the person is a good writer, they should really go for a FICTION book publishing course!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Argette: Yeah, we all want to believe, and that's one of the things that pisses me off when this happens. They use our beliefs to their advantage. They really need to cruise around the site a little longer so they can see our "Mammas didn't raise no fools" πŸ˜†.
Argette (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Thanks, Valkricry. You are intuitive, because I was feeling kind of foolish. I do think those of us who are ourselves honest don't always expect dishonesty.

And RedWolf, I know what you mean. I don't want to be the first to start something either. But, OMG, am I tempted sometimes.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Granny - okay, I fixed my profile page so that my email address is once again available. We'll see how it works out this time πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ I'm not holding my breath, though πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Hey granny LOL πŸ˜† - my email address isn't on my profile anymore πŸ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Argette,don't feel bad that you initially believe any accounting on this site. It's the mind set we have when we start to read a supposedly true experience. And we are very accepting of things that are unexplainable/paranormal in nature, even when they are outside of our own scope of experience. I guess that might be because so many of us have been on the doubted end when we've tried to tell others of what we've been through, even when it was solid gold truth.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
RedWolf: πŸ˜† That's awesome. Well, one thing y'all can do if you have suspicions and don't want to voice them on-site is e-mail me or Miracles, or even Martin and we'll check things out. A lot of times the red flags don't raise for us if we're unfamiliar with the area because believe it not, we're not real big world travelers πŸ˜†. Although if given the opportunity and finances it wouldn't take long for either of us to pack our bags πŸ˜†. 'Specially if there were ghosties!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
When I first read this story was right after it was posted. I wrote a response as I knew it was a bunch of garbage (being polite) but deleted it.
The East Village was NOT dilapidated or have seedy hotels in 1999. It was renovated, meaning any burned out or unsafe buildings were demolished and rebuilt prior to this story. Some of the buildings are apartments for N.Y. University students/interns and residents. Other buildings are apartments for artists, actors and other people. It is a very diverse neighborhood.
Another thing about the East Village you can go there today and see women dressed in '60s & '70s style clothing.πŸ˜†.
I wanted to call Sebastian out on this before but I didn't want to seem like I was trying to start trouble.
Argette (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
I had a similar thought. There was almost too much information included, perhaps as a diversionary tactic and also to add credibility, meaning we may assume that all the details mean he/she is telling the truth. I think to write a successful and credible story here, you need to edit yourself a little bit and ask if the information you are providing moves the story along. Is it necessary? When I see too much information, much of it unneeded, a red flag goes up. Unfortunately, I read the story and commented on it, went back and read it again, and then I got suspicious.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Argette - just my opinion, but I think maybe the o/p tries too hard to write a "true" story and that's where all the "fluff" comes in. Maybe s/he thinks a story can't be real unless it is full of all this "stuff" that actually makes it that much more unbelievable. Too much cottton candy lol
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Miracles, you are so right.

Unfortunately, while the plot of Sebastian's story is certainly interesting and could be developed, I did not find the writing especially captivating. I do think that with training and experience, he/she might have a promising career ahead...
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
miracles: yeah right. And you know that I also love Reeses peanut-butter cups. My old sweet tooth, you know. πŸ˜‰ zeta.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Zeta - LOL that reminds me of the old Reese's commercials about, "Your peanut butter got in my chocolate." Have no idea why it struck me that way, but I got a chuckle out of it πŸ˜†
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
and on a side note to miracles and narella: both peanut butter and chocolate work for me! 😁

Zeta.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Just reading through the rest of the posts now and I would like to add another thought to the conversation going on. I remember one time, not too long ago on this site, when someone wrote a ficticious story and after everyone made comments the OP came back and said something like "haha, my story was all made up and you all believed it". So just to add to the reasons why someone would make up a story... Creepy yes and seems like a waste of time. If I were able to write really good ghost stories, I may wish to try my hand at apprenticing for Stephen King. 😜

Zeta.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Sebastian:

You definitely have a talent for retelling your experiences. I have a couple of questions for you to help me understand this a bit more. First of all; how did you know that at least seven other people "witnessed" this cafe from the 60's? Did the old lady tell you this? Also, it states that you are from New York. Did you move there shortly after this occurrence as it states that you were on vacation there, albeit 1999. Just curious. Also, were you given a menu to look at? A lot of cafes back then just had menu items and prices on the wall, chalkboard, etc. Did you happen to notice any of this because you state that you were so shocked to see the low price on your bill.

Interesting story, zeta.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
LOL - I've heard that too, but found that peanut butter works for me πŸ˜‰
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Miracles-I've always found chocolate makes everything better! 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Narella - you should see me when I'm trying to edit one of "these" stories πŸ˜† Or maybe you shouldn't πŸ˜‰ Nice is nowhere in my vocabulary LOL!
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Miracles,

You and Granny are much nicer about it than I would be.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Narella - yes, they do. At least for me. These kind of situations make me want to be very rude and become the person I don't like to be. So, most of the time (notice I said "most of the time" πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†) I'll just sit back and pretend the story doesn't exist.
Narella (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
The person writing these stories is obviously intelligent and talented. I wish they'd use that talent in a more constuctive way. Situations like this must make it so much harder to be a mod.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: