You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Neighbor Artie

Real Ghost Stories

My Neighbor Artie

 

Early one morning in December of '02 or '03 everyone in the house was awakened by my dogs barking hysterically. I had large tubular wind chimes that were making a racket and our motion sensor lights were turning on and off like a strobe light. After a few minutes things settled down.

My husband got ready for work and left at his usual time. A short time later my daughter got dressed and as she was walking to the bus stop our neighbor told her that our neighbor Artie had died. She came back in the house crying and told me that he died. He wasn't really that old, somewhere in his late sixties to mid seventies so it was a surprise that he died as he was healthy. I called my mother in-law to come over to see my boys off to school so I could go to check on his wife Stella.

A day or so later my friend Kathy had told me that Artie had lost his Wedding Ring a few years before and Stella was upset that he would not have it on when he was buried. Kathy decided to look around the house to try to find it. She had all but given up on finding the ring when something caught her eye in the track of the sliding glass door. It was his Wedding Ring! Somehow it ended up there unexplained and undamaged so Stella was able to bury Artie with his ring.

As a side note, my husband didn't like my wind chimes because they were loud and sounded more like a gong than a chime so we tied them so they couldn't chime. BUT every once in awhile we would hear them chime/gong. At first every time we heard them someone would go to see if they became untied but they never did. So for awhile we would just say, "Hi Artie" until my husband took them down.

Other hauntings by RedWolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RedWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
bandet888
Sorry for not responding for so long. I know you don't think there was anything paranormal. You must have missed the motion sensor lights going on and off like a strobe lights which they had never done before or since. The wind chimes were tied VERY tight and they never chimed like that in high winds after they were tied.
As for the wedding ring. If it had been in the sliding door tract for that long it would have been scratched and dirty but when it was found it was in perfect condition.
Regards
Red
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Interesting story but I don't see any indication of any paranormal activity here. The ring cold have been there all along unnoticed or may have been bouncing around or kicked around and eventualy ended up there. It is interesting that it was found at a time when really wanted though. As far as the chimes they were maybe not tied too tightly and maybe would have sounded when the wind is strong enough. Sorry for your loss though.
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-24)
Ah bleating! That is the word I was looking for! You'd think me being a vet nurse I would know that but guess I was having a blonde moment and came out with baa'ing instead 😊 It was my granny I always just called her gran for short. I think its a nice idea that sheep would know and would mourn for a person even though they're treated badly by most humans. I've read a few of his stories yes and I do enjoy them you're both very good writers!
ASH4321 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-24)
RedWolf I relly like your stories and I believe that it is true about animals being sensitive my dog always seems to growl at nothing at times and we believe that she sees ghost

Ash
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
Aishling
The sheep were reacting to your granddad passing. Animals are VERY sensitive to death and other changes. As an example recently I had to have eye surgery. I was gone for only several hours but my dogs sensed something was up. They were restless and would run to the door at every sound until I came home. The sheep were bleating because they sensed your granddad would not be coming back. They were mourning.

Valcrkricy
Stella was just a cranky bitter woman. She did not like at all that we had that experience. She actually accused my friend Kathy whom she knew all her life of having the ring for years and returning it and 'finding' it after placing it where it was found. That really upset my friend as Stella was like a mother to her after her own mother died when she was younger. Sadly some people are just like that 😠
Thank you for reading.
I think you both would enjoy my son WhiteWolf stories. He has experienced many paranormal events some of them scared me when he told me about them.
JennZ (72 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
I understand Stella lost her husband and all, but damn she sounds like a real Grouch. And I think it's so cool how Artie communicated with you! Great Story
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
Perhaps Stella was simply a tad jealous of Artie saying good-bye to you, when she herself had experianced nothing? Doesn't excuse her calling you a witch, but... When confronted with something one can't understand some people just react poorly. Then again maybe that's just part of her 'crank' charm?
I enjoyed the read, thank you.
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
I remember when my gran died the sheep in the field behind my house were going mental. They were baa'ing (don't know how else to put that?) really loudly for ages and sheep are normally pretty quiet unless something is wrong. I always thought that might of been because of my gran:)
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-23)
Argette

Yes I definitely think it was my neighbor trying to get our attention and boy he did. His wife Stella was a real crank. She put a lot of people through a lot of things including my daughter. Stella said she couldn't live alone so her sister took her in. That lasted only about 6 months. Since School was out my daughter stayed in the house with her while holding down a summer job. My daughter could only take a few weeks of this because Stella didn't like my daughter to come home to visit us and sleep in her own bed once in awhile. Then her brother brought her to Arizona for a couple of months and THAT didn't last.
Some people from her church were trying to get control of her finances but thankfully her brother and sister got that.
One day though my friend Kathy told Stella about what happened here the day her husband died and the sound of our wind chimes once in awhile after. Stella came over to ask me about it. I told her the truth and because I'm not religious the woman told me I am a witch. I told her I wasn't but she just got more agitated and left. I don't know where she is now I haven't heard from her in years.

Thank you for reading. I'm glad you don't think I'm not one of those crazies. I am a little nuts though. 😆. Seriously thank you for the compliment. My son is WhiteWolf he has had some experiences and has posted some stories on here. His last story is My First Encounters. He started having psychic experiences when he was young. I did not brush them off as his imagination as my parents did to me.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-22)
So maybe the noise was Artie saying good-bye? The night my grandfather died, we experienced a lot of noise in our backyard. The garbage can was clanging, the neighbor's dog was barking, and it sounded like someone was trying to break in. But no one - nothing - was out there. The next morning we learned that my grandfather had died about the time of all the racket. I never did believe it was a coincidence.

Good one, RedWolf. I'm glad - amidst some of the crazies that frequent this site - that you are here. Your comments and stories are always grounded.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: