You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Visit from Dad

Real Ghost Stories

A Visit from Dad

 

On January 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM my father passed away. All of my family was there as we had been keeping vigil at his home for several days knowing the end was near. He had been pretty much unconscious for about 2 days and kept weakening from that point on. It was very difficult to have him go, but he had suffered so over the past year, that we all (my sister, 2 half brothers and step mother) felt he had had enough and was tired. In one of his more lucid moments he had told me he was tired and he did not want to die in the hospital alone, that was about 6 days before he passed. We took him home from the hospital and made him as comfortable as possible. We had hospice care coming in and all spent as much time with him as possible.

As I stated before, he passed away on New Years day. It was a Sunday morning. After he passed, my step mother called our church and one of the Associate Pastors came to the house to be with us. He visited for about half an hour while we waited for the coroner and everything. He then asked what we needed and what we were going to do now. My husband said, well it is Sunday so I say we go to church, that is what dad would have wanted. We all agreed and went home to clean up and get ready for church.

When I got home, I went in and took a hot relaxing bubble bath; I closed my eyes for a minute to relax. When I opened my eyes I saw a white mist shaped like a man standing at the entrance to the bathroom door (my husband made me leave it open because he was worried.) I said "Daddy" and the mist was gone. At that point I chalked it up to exhaustion.

I do not remember the church service but that afternoon, my step mother wanted us to come to the house to pick up a few little things dad wanted us to have. My sister was there with her two girls and husband, I was there with my 2 girls and 2 boys and my stepmother, 1 of my stepbrothers were all there. My stepmother asked me to go up to hers and dad's room and get dad's watch off of the dresser. At the top of the stairs there is a small book case built into the wall. My dad had placed a collectible small brass cannon and brass vase on the middle shelf behind a bouquet of flowers, still visible but blocked by the vase.

As I walked by the book case, the brass cannon and brass vase shot off the shelf almost simultaneously and hit the wall across from the shelves right in front of me. They fell on the floor and rolled to my feet. My niece, 11 years old saw this happen, ran down the stairs and jumped in her father's lap, she would not move. I picked up the cannon and vase and placed them back on the shelf. I went into the bedroom and was looking in the dresser for the watch I had been sent after. I heard a noise in the hallway. Thinking it was a family member I spoke out for them to come in and help me look. No one came, I looked in the hall way and no one was there. I found the watch and entered back into the hall way. I looked down and the brass cannon and vase were in the middle of the floor where they had fallen before. I picked them back up and sat them back on the shelf. At that point my stepmother hollered up the steps for me to grab the brass cannon and vase on my way down because my father had wanted me to take them. I picked them up and carried them downstairs, a little bit bewildered.

While we sat there that evening, dealing with our grief and emotions, the hall light began turning on and off. You could count exactly 120 seconds between on and off switches. I went home that night very late and exhausted.

I go to the house constantly to visit with my stepmother. The hallway has still had strange occurrences especially with items in the middle shelf and the lights in the hall way, both upstairs and down stairs. My step mother pretty much refuses to acknowledge the occurrences and goes on. I think it may be my dad watching out for us a little bit in his own way.

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-12)
I'm sorry for your loss. When my dad died - I went into shock - nurses and family were surrounding me - worried. Everyone sounded so far away - yet they were standing right next to me.

To lose a parent is one of the worst things anyone could go through. My dad died 24 years ago (January 25,1987). Over the years - I have had experiences that let me know that daddy was watching over me.

I love reading your story - I had something similar happen to me as you did (the white mist - except it was surrounded by a very bright light) - I have yet to submit the story on that experience - but I will shortly.

My heart goes out to you - Thank you for sharing
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
My gradnfather died in 2004 and I think it was about a week after his funeral I was at my grandmothers house. She said that I could go through his things to see if I wanted anything. I headed down to the basement and looked at all of the things on the shelf that he had collected over the years, and when I turned around to go back upstairs, right in the middle of the floor were his war medals... I think he wanted me to have them because I was such a war buff and always asked to see them

since then nothing has happened... I don't think he wanted to cross over until he made sure I had those medals, almost as if to say goodbye or something lol

thanks for the story

god bless
HauntedKitty (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-27)
Your story touched me thank you Kim, and I know what it's like I lost grandfather last summer too, he was very sick, and I was crying just watching. It's painful, but it's soothing to see them just a glimpse. I grieve a little it still hurts but I get visits in my dreams they may be just dreams but it just feels right. For me I wish I can take a pen and pad to bed and wake up after a dream. Can't write this without crying 😢

Kitty ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
Thank you again to all who have commented. I am truly blessed. My dad was able to let me know he is okay, now he definately is at peace.

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-24)
I realize that the last comment on this story was months ago, but I find this story comforting. Here is a father who loved you so much that he took the opportunity to tell you what his gift to you was on the first chance that you were alone (going upstairs to get his watch for your mother on her request.) He wanted you to know from himself that these momentos really were from him, and not an imagined gift. I mean that it wasn't just your mother thinking he would have liked you to have it. That is so touching. Thank you.
Shenny (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
Hi again KimSouthO,
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
My birthday is on the 30th of December and my mum was killed 2 days before my 12th birthday (28th) And that was when I had my first encounter with a spirit, which is supposed to be my mum. I'll try and write the story on here, but they've disabled it, but I'll let you know if I do, and I hope you and others will have the time to check out my story, I don't think manywould, since I'm still 13 years of age.

Take care & much love,
Shenny.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-27)
Hi thanks for sharing your story. I do believe that our love ones do watch us they can give us a sign that they are there. They make sure that we are OK and they watch us every minute of the day.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-23)
I wanted to say thank you to all of those who commented :) you are all correct, he is with us still, but he no longer has to endure the ravages of illness, and he will always be present in our hearts and souls.
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-21)
Hey Kim, I am sorry for your loss and on New Year's Day too. I pray that you and your family are doing well. God Bless.

Ceary
Krysteen (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-21)
It's such an amazing opportunity and gift when this happens. I cherish the glimpse of my father after he passed away. I can't imagine the energy it must take for our loved ones to make the effort to be present in our lives once they have passed.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-20)
Dear KimSouthO,

I appreciate you sharing your personal story with us here and taking the time to write and submit it. I am sure it was difficult, but I also hope it is helpful in your own grief and healing. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your father and wish to express my sympathy to you and yours.

Many times our loved ones show us that they are still around us and will let us know in the same or similar ways you have experienced your father's presence. As time goes by and if they have crossed over completely, they will stop by to check on their loved ones frequently, but as our earth time goes by their visits may become less and less. It does not mean they are not there for us, we have but to think of them. Many times they will show up in our dreams too. We have but to ask and pay attention to their choice of their way to reply.

We all grieve and heal at our own pace. The less expectations you have of yourself in this time of grieving and of others like your step-mother, the more with time, it will heal all of you; and your memories of your father will be your comfort and your great support.

Blessings, Abby
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-20)
Hi KimSouth, I just wanted to say Thank You for your story! I love your stories and posts.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-19)
Kim, your dad was there. He was making sure you got the cannon and vase he wanted yo to have. And, I think he's still there watching out over your step mother. Thank you for sharing this story with us. It brought tears to my eyes. Love does transcend...
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-19)
Thank you Kim for sharing your story with us. I think your father was trying to make sure you got what he wanted you to have and to let you know he was okay.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: