You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Preaching To A Sceptic

Real Ghost Stories

Preaching To A Sceptic

 

This past Saturday, 16 Feb 2013, I had a friend over to my house. He is your typical non-believer, though he also claims to be completely atheist. Since I have been raised Christian, but rarely go to Church, I don't have a problem with hearing about other cultures, religions, and the people who believe none of that exists. He only made this confession to me on Saturday. He said he has always had many questions that not even their Minister could answer when he was growing up, so he has decided, until he gets concrete proof that God exists, something he can see, he will remain atheist. As I said, I don't judge.

As we were sitting and talking, my friend who rents the flat in my yard came to me and she asked me how things are in the house. Up until then I had not told my guy friend of my three resident ghosties. But I didn't even hesitate, I told her that Gran had stayed with us when my parents finally left for Mozambique. I found this out when Tim sent me a message on Wednesday. We had talked about something inconsequential and I did my usual "checking up" on my ghosties via Tim, and when I asked him if he could sense Gran he went "Funny enough, she's in your house. By the boys' room." I was astonished. I thought she wasn't there. For some reason I had not been sensing her. Then he added "She's worried because you are scared of the house." I was terrified, I must confess. It's one thing to have someone with you in the house when you are surrounded by spirits, but now I'm alone, the only adult and I fear the evil thing coming back. Tim assured me that it was gone for good. And from then on in, I felt better. Knowing my gran is there really calmed me down. Though Charlie still pulls pranks to get my attention. He moved dining room chairs this morning while I was getting ready for work.

As my gal-pal and I were talking, the guy got this weird expression on his face. I knew he was thinking we were crazy, so I asked him. And then he went off on this tangent about how the mind is such a powerful thing, a person has to simply plant a suggestion in the back of your mind and you will believe anything. Ok, I get it. Valid point. BUT, a person I have known for 6 months, will not be able to tell me secrets I shared with Charlie, in detail, if Charlie or I had not told him those secrets. And I didn't. I sat there and humoured him as he explained to me that I was a victim of a planted idea. And I could see Charlie's face in my mind's eye, sarcastically grinning and shaking his head.

Even sitting in the house and hearing Kiddo bang on the wall wasn't proof enough for him. I decided when I started realizing how in tune I was with my spirits, that I had to choose carefully who I disclosed this type of information to. And in the end, I'll find people who wholeheartedly believe, people who try to understand, and people who refuse to understand. It does not mean that what I am experiencing is not real.

Saturday night Gran came into the room and switched the fan off while the boys and I were sleeping. T's chest is acting up again and I'm not the only one worried about him. On the contrary, Tim says she is focused on the boys now more than anyone else. And Sunday night she was in the bathroom when I was in the bath. I was washing my face and had the very distinct feeling that her face was only inches from mine. Making sure I don't get soap in my eyes? Perhaps.

It's just comforting to know she is there. And I hope it stays that way.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-27)
Hello DonBryant, I'm not Catholic. But nevertheless, I believe God is a democratic entity who let's us do our deeds (karma) and also let's us learn from their consequences. I do not think it's cool to impose your religious views on others, be it on this site or elsewhere. I think what God would really like is you to go take a hike. Thank you.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
"there are no human spirits wandering the earth"

Well, that settles it for me. Time to pick up my marbles and grudge home.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Hello DonBryant, Just a little tip here... Members of this site come from all different cultures, religions and backgrounds. I truly don't wish to offend you, but As a general rule, it is somewhat inappropriate for one member to tell another what they "ought" to know, and what they "should" think, or what is the "truth", without acknowledging that it is your Own Opinion/belief, only. If you choose to quote the bible, fine - just be aware that some people however, believe in a different religious tome, or none at all. You are coming across as being abrasive, and disrespectful to other religions and viewpoints, by presuming to tell others "the truth", when in actuality, it is only what YOU believe to be the truth.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
psychicmama
Hehe Charley kind of acts like my supernatural radar. Wehn we were on holiday we watched Long Island Medium and not once did I get the feeling from him or gran that she was faking this. She experiences things like Tim does.
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-03-09)
I had the wonderful opportunity to see John Edward in a small venue in August 2012. I made the mistake of telling a co-worker and he went on an on about how they're all fakes, they get you to tell them the information, etc. I asked him if he knew anything about John Edward? And he said no, and then went on again about what cheats they are... That taught me a lesson too, to keep that stuff to myself and my "believer" friends!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
DonBryant: I see you're new here so please take a few minutes and review the "Comments Guidelines" by following the link at the bottom of the page, and this in particular:
"This site offers discussions on the topic of ghost experiences, with people coming from various cultures, so please avoid proselytizing or preaching, unless the author of a story specifically asks to receive feedback from that religious perspective. This site is not about religious beliefs, it is about actual personal paranormal experiences and exploring reality with an open and investigative mind so we can actually learn more about the paranormal, with the same empirical mind set that made science so successful in other fields. Religions have a lot of wisdom to offer in terms of personal spirituality, but they can also limit our knowledge of the world with old superstitions and unproven dogmas. **It's fine to share what your religion has to offer as a possible explanation, but everyone has their own, they certainly don't come here to be converted, so please, don't push it on others as irrefutable fact.**"

The name of this site is "Your GHOST Stories". Please don't offend those who don't believe the same things as you. 😐

This comment from DonBryant is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
thank you, triden. It's good to know that Britain isn't the only country that uses the Oxford Dictionary! 😊

So, sceptic and skeptic are the same word, only with different spellings. 😉
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
cookie-eated-me
Never told off 😉 most certainly not. I appreciate the input, and the fact that you stood up for my spelling. South Africa has been under French and British rule at some point in history, so its infused with such rich cultures.

Zzsgranny
Haha, it happens to the best of us. Here in SA there are so many languages that, constructively thinking, one should never lose sight of the fact that cultures differ. But it still happens. We are only human after all.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
Exhibit A: my username

5050505050505050505050505050505050505050505
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
It's funny that we Americans think we're the only ones who speak "English" 😆 😆 😆
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
triden07

I consider myself told off. Being british, I prefer the Oxford to any other dictionary. 😉
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
cookie-eated-me
Thanks for commenting. In South Africa, we follow the Oxford English dictionary, among others, and the spelling is sceptic.

Rook
Thank you for, once again, so eloquently clearing up the confusion.

S_n_S
I am, as a matter of fact, not english born, but I do pride myself on my use and knowledge of the language. I was a little disappointed getting "tapped over my fingers" as it were for a "spelling error" instead of getting a comment on the entire story.
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
I'm with Rook on this one.

In British English, it's sceptic, but I feel skeptic is the better spelling.

My brother's an atheist. I asked him once if he believed in God and he said no, so I asked him if he believed in the devil/satan; again, he said no. I don't know if he believes in ghosts/spirits or not; it didn't occur to me to ask him.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
S_n_S,

Not to be a Nudge but...

Sceptic: Scep-tic (noun) (adjective) Another spelling of SKEPTIC... (Encarta Dictionary: English North America)

So it is possible to spell it either way.

Triden,

Thank you for sharing this just shows you how stubborn some individuals can be...

I must say I find it quite interesting how many 'self-professed' atheist say they do not believe in the 'paranormal' or in 'spirits'. When a belief in 'God' is not needed to believe in a spirit realm.

Atheist: Somebody who does not believe in God or deities.

I think people confuse being an Atheist with being a Sceptic (Skeptic) numbers 2 and 3 apply more than number 1...

Skeptic: (noun) 1) A member of an ancient Greek school of philosophy holding the doctrine that real knowledge is impossible, or a later follower of this doctrine. 2) A doubter of accepted beliefs. 3) A doubter of religious doctrines and principles.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Skeptic_not_Sceptic (19 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-02-28)
The word that you are looking for is "skeptic", not "sceptic".

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: