You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Man in the Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Man in the Basement

 

I was 13 at the time and at a friend's house. His sisters room was down in the basement and there was an entrance at the end of the living room. She was showing us how her horse ribbons kept turning upside down. She turned them right side up and tried to move them by waiving her blanket. They didn't budge. We were there alone and we heard someone walking upstairs in the kitchen above. We looked at each other and as I was about to ask if their mom was home, we heard a chair slide across the floor from the kitchen, through the living room and fell down the stairs into the basement. We couldn't move!

Another time, at the same house, we were doing our homework and we heard footstep on the roof. As he looked at each other, the dryer started going while it was unplugged.

When they moved out because of other strange things that took place, the landlord asked if they were moving because of the ghost. They were shocked and explained the things that had happened to them. He explained that the owner before him was an elderly man who walked in and surprised two unsuspecting thieves. They dragged the old man down to the basement, tortured and killed him down there.

Wow, I still get chills thinking about that!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-11)
Ugh, that is not fair!
Poor old man. I bet now he's haunting the place thinking that the new people living there are theives... Well people should start prays. Release him, tell him that he's dead or something...

Release him from his misery.
shelbister (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
WOW I got chills that's really scary good story you scared me that's terrible though -shelby ❤
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-21)
Weeow! That is a chilling story. Tim, I am glad that you are out of there. I would never go there especially after hearing that story. God Bless.

Ceary
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-20)
Dear Tim,

Thankfully for you the frightening experiences are over, but sadly the previous resident who was supposedly killed violently there is now trapped or stuck there in ghostly form, -- earthbound. I will say a prayer for his release and hope others will do the same in their own way.

Personally, it does sound and seems a bit odd to me that the man would make sounds of footsteps on the roof. In my own experience, a ghost like the one you describe generally confines the haunting inside the house, especially where the traumatic event took place, but anything is possible. Is it usual for your parents to pull the dryer cord from the outlet? They are larger cords and in my opinion, a real hassle to unplug and re-plug with each use. Just an investigative thought. Thanks, Abby
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-20)
What the living do to the living is much more frightning than any ghost story I have ever read or heard!
Brian07891 (21 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-19)
Man that is sad for that old man who died that way. I wonder what needs to be done for him to move on...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: