You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The Blue House

Real Ghost Stories

The Blue House

 

In September 2010 I bought a house in a suburb north of Boston. The gentleman who I bought the house from had built it in 1948 and had lived there since. The house was sold because he was in his 90's and could not live on his own any longer. His wife had passed away a few years earlier.

The house was well cared for although aesthetically outdated. The first floor which consisted of a kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom, and master bedroom was circa 1980. The second floor had two small bedrooms. It was obvious from the wallpaper the last time these bedrooms were decorated it was 1960 something.

On my first day as home owner I started making changes. I pulled up the rugs in the living room and dining room, removed the fake fireplace from the living room and took down all the shelving on the first floor. On the second floor I went through the closets. I found old baseballs and books. From the looks of them they had been there as long as the wallpaper.

Now that I was done clearing out the house I began painting the dining room. I completed one coat of paint and began cleaning up. I was kneeling down with my back to the living room. I stood up and turned around. As I looked into the living room I stopped. I could not believe what I saw. There was a long oval shaped orange light floating in the middle of the room. It was there for a few seconds before it moved towards the bedroom and disappeared. I wasn't scared but shocked by what I saw.

I checked both the living room and bedroom and tried to figure the source of the light. When I couldn't I finished cleaning up and left for the night.

I returned the next morning and resumed painting. It was lunch time when I completed the second coat in the dining room. I was in the bathroom washing out the paintbrushes when I heard above me the sound of marbles being dropped one at a time on the floor and rolling across it. I stopped. Turning off the water I sat on the side of the tub and listened. It happened again. This did scare me. I didn't investigate this time. Instead I quickly finished cleaning and left for the day.

This was the first of many experiences in my house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kay4, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

takeiteasy (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-25)
Hi there!
You said that the old man's wife died a few years prior to him selling the house, and that he built it himself, yes? Maybe this was his wife letting you know not to make too many changes. After all, it was their house first! 😆
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Hi Kay4,
Please do not be put off by my following questions, I do not doubt your story, I only wish to clarify what the situation "looked" like in my head, when you saw the orange light... Do you happen to remember if it was around sunset when you saw the orange light in the living room? I ask only because the house was fairly new to you at this time, and it may have been some kind of reflection of a bright sunset... Also if you were painting your new house & it didn't have electric yet, I imagine that around dusk would be when you would be cleaning up & heading home, before it got too dark to see what you were painting. You mentioned about items left in closets - Did the previous owners leave about any glass vases, or crystal candlesticks or were there any mirrors that could have thrown light? Its surprising the different ways light can be bent & refracted, especially in unfamiliar surroundings. The marbles dropping one by one is harder to come up with a possible natural cause - This seems like it may be a residual event, brought on by the changes being made to the house... Thank you so much for sharing with us, and hope to hear more of your stories soon! Best wishes,
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-27)
Very interesting story and very nicely narrated.

I agree with sds and JennZ that whatever is in the house doesn't want any changes done. Are you feeling any threatening vibes while you are in the house? Have you spoken to the previous owner regarding this?

Waiting to read more about your experiences.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Dear Kay4, welcome to YGS. When you start refurbishing or cleaning quite an old house, these kinds of energies are bound to exhibit themselves. But do not get scared. I think it might be some residual haunting as far as the sound of marbles being dropped one by one. But with regard to seeing the orange light, that is totally different. I feel it is the energy that manifested. Still if it is possible, why don't you ask the previous owner. Perhaps he might be able to throw some light on your experiences. And in your family, has any other person sighted the light or heard the sound of marbles being dropped. Keep us informed of any such encounters.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
First off, Welcome to YGS! I also would Love to hear more about your experiences... The activity most likely started because, of you remodeling and changing things in the home. But Good story, and please keep us updated!
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Very interesting, but I would like to know more details. You say these were the first of other experiences. While some of the posters here are very knowledgable and can likely help you sort through this, I think more details would be helpful. What else has happened at your house?

Otherwise, thank you so much, Kay4, for joining us here and sharing. Welcome!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: