You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Experience At Aunt And Uncle's House

Real Ghost Stories

My Experience At Aunt And Uncle's House

 

My name is Derek. My story took place in Frankfort, Indiana in my aunt and uncle's house in 1994.

It has been a long time ago but I still remember it like it happened yesterday. I was living with my aunt, uncle, and cousins while my parents were in between selling our old house and buying a new one.

I had three cousins that were all older than me but I was, and still am, closest to the youngest that was nearest my age. We were like brothers. People who didn't know us thought we were, and to this day we still talk about what happened that night in that old house.

The house they lived in was over a 110 years old and had been used for many different things as far as commercial businesses but not only. My grandfather actually knew some of the history of the house being that he was a builder in the community years ago. I remember him telling us that the front stairway caved in once on a previous owner and then after it had been rebuilt, it caved in a second time.

The house was huge. Four levels including the basement, four bathrooms, two all level stairways, a kitchen, living room, den, family room, a huge dining room with an attached serving room and swinging door, and six bedrooms including the guest room.

My older cousins experienced their own supernatural things along with my aunt and uncle. They told me different stories throughout the time they lived there. They had a radio that would turn on by itself that you could turn on when you wanted to. It was built into the wall in the kitchen, probably installed in the seventies. I always thought they were messing with us because we were young but, come to find out, they were very serious.

Well, one normal night while living there, my cousin and I fell asleep in his bed after playing Sega, something we did about every night during the summer. I woke up around one o'clock in the morning with my cousin missing from bed. It seemed like a dream at the time but I remember getting poked and messed with while I was asleep. The blankets kept getting pulled tight around me and I would mumble "stop". It seemed like that went on for awhile because I felt miserable from lack of sleep. Being that my cousin wasn't in the room was odd. He always passed out early and slept like he wasn't allowed to, if you get my meaning.

I made my way to the door, opened it, and stepped out into the hallway. His room was the first room on the right after the bathroom if you took the front staircase from the foyer. At this point I remember feeling light headed and having shaky legs, very scared already with nothing creepy seen or heard yet.

I went to the steps and put my hand on the rail and headed down. As I came to the foyer, I looked into the front living room and saw nothing but I could hear rustling. Just like socks on carpet or a sliding sound of some kind. It was very very faint but definitely there.

Once in the living room you could go right or left around a fire place that opened into the family room and dining room. To the right of the fireplace you could see through both rooms and into the serving room and kitchen with the swinging door. The door was real wood and was around seven feet tall and very heavy. My aunt usually had it propped open with the door stop and we were constantly told not to mess with it.

The "frictiony" sound seemed to get quieter and further away as I stood in the foyer with my heart beating like a humming birds. A few moments later I couldn't hear anything so I stepped into the living room and stood flat against the wall that ran horizontal towards the kitchen. I looked through the dining and family room at the serving door and it was halfway open, moving just a bit back and forth as if something might have been leaning on it.

At this point I was ready to wake my aunt up but I remembered that she went to work at midnight and my uncle wasn't due home until after two am. My cousin and I were the only ones in the house for two hours that night. After a minute to think, I assumed the door was propped halfway open and airgusts were making it move a bit.

I got some confidence and slid down the wall closer to the dining room. I came to the edge of the open casing that split the family and dining rooms and the door pushed open all the way! The door was still a good fifteen feet from where I stood and the entire house was very dark.

In the doorway I swear that it was my cousin standing there. Except he was like 5ft tall or so and at the time we were both just over 4ft tall. I froze where I stood and squinted to try to see better. Whatever it was, was signaling with a hand gesture to come on or come in here. Two or three times it did this and then it disappeared and it left the door swinging on its hinges.

The short time I saw the thing that looked like my cousin in the doorway I could only make out sort of an outline. Like a black physical shape with a dull light behind it. I was freaking out by then but was determined to go in the kitchen. I ran the open area and pushed the door open as hard as I could and stopped just inside the room.

At that exact moment I thought I saw an indistinct outline just like the one before but with no human shape vanish in a split second near the back door. At the same time their dog, a huge, grumpy Dalmatian started barking like something was attacking him. He was sittin just outside the screen door and it seemed he saw what I saw.

The old radio in the kitchen came on at the same time everything else was going on, and what is was playing I have no idea because it was backwards and slow and pausing and continuing. This was the most terrified I have ever been in my entire life to this day. I have told everyone in my family this story and none of them doubt me because of the house.

I ran and flipped the light on and Cliffy quit barking but radio continued for at least ten minutes. In the kitchen there was the back full stairway, a bathroom, the basement door, and the back door. I checked the bathroom for my cousin. Opened the basement door to find the light turned off (the only switch was at the top of the stairway. There was absolutely no way my cousin would have been down there by himself in the dark). I checked the back stairway and whispered his name. Looked out the backdoor again to find Cliff sitting and staring into the house at me through the screen.

I had come to the conclusion that whatever I saw was not my cousin. At that prospect I was getting more freaked out. Then the swinging door came open and my uncle was standing there. I was relieved. He asked what I was doing up and I simply told him I woke up and couldn't find my cousin. He looked at me funny and then went to put his lunch box up. He commented that Cliffy seemed to be acting funny, to himself really, then turned around and asked where I had looked. I told him and he walked out of the kitchen into the family room and flipped the light on.

My cousin was asleep underneath a sofa with a blanket wrapped around him. He was so tightly stuffed under the couch that my uncle had to lift it up to pull him out. He awoke like nothin had happened and my uncle sent us to bed.

After that night and for the remainder of the time they lived there my cousin suffered from sleep walking and my aunt eventually took him to see a doctor over it. I had a touch of it as well when my parents moved us into our new house.

Later on one my older cousins heard the radio do the same thing from his downstairs bedroom and him and his twin saw apparitions as well. My aunt heard the radio several time too play weird backwards sounding voices and just a few years ago I heard her talking about how scary that house was after she heard the radio.

To this day the cousin I stayed with denies that he had anything to do with what happened that night. The very next morning of the event he did claim to have weird dreams.

Other odd things happened in the house. One of my older cousins said he felt like he was pushed down the front steps. His arm was broken from the experience. The cousin I was close with was going down the front steps and instead of turning when he hit the floor he slid and his right arm and head went through one of the two French glass doors. He had to get staples and stitches on his arm and some stitches on the backside of his ear.

I don't live in Indiana anymore but I have visited other family there fairly regular. Every time we go up there, there is a different family living in that house. We all kind of laugh about it. Well that's my story. I know for sure that house was different. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, majikmind, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
All I can wonder is how and why your cousin ended up under the sofa!

Great detail in your account, fantastic, actually.

I would love to know the history of the house.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
DelzLdy: I remember that too so I am right with you in the "aging myself" boat. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Zeta.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-20)
And then there is the famous Beatles song Strawberry Fields when played backwards supposedly says "I Killed Paul." But, I guess I'm aging myself ๐Ÿ˜‰
majikmind (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Bad juujuu. Yea the stairway always scared me to death. Especially after two of my cousins got hurt on them and also learning that they fell in on two different home owners.
majikmind (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
I love old movies like that! Deffinetly going to hunt that one down... Off the subject but Lovely Molly is an odd one that has a pretty creepy ending. Worth checking out. And no worries jen!
goldduster (55 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
we did play a Ozzy album backwards it was funny because one person heard the I love satan said something then we all heard it
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
goldduster: If you smoke a lot pot, your dog starts talking backwards LOL ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
goldduster (55 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
playing a old record backwards if you used your imagination well Ozzy said he loves satan Led Zeplins stairway to heaven was rumored to talk about thier love for satan if you do it smoke a lot of pot first wasn't the 80s fun
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
Pjod...I remember that movie also. Movie absolutely made no sense but hey it was a horror movie from the 80's (best decade in my strange opinion). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Zeta
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
Ooooooo the infamous backward masking of the 70s and 80s. I remember reading a book by some whackadoodle about it. It was less than enlightening.
Majikmind it's cool that the history fits some of the activity. At least that explains some of it.
๐Ÿ˜Š
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
zeta,
I recall an 80's movie "the gate"- where some kids played music backwards that unleashed some terrible activity.
Crazy movie.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
I don't know why but I always think of "playing backward" as sort of the notoriety so many musical artists received from the supposed lyrics played backwards and meaning something different, a lot of times satanic. Seems to me I remember something about Ozzy Osbourne or Deep Purple? I may be dating many posters but that is what I think about when I read this story.

Zeta
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
My ears are quite clean Thank You, and I'm sorry if that offended you but that was my opinion!
majikmind (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Jennz-rub your socks on the carpet if you have both and let me know if you can hear it. I'm not sure what to tell you other than clean your ears. ๐Ÿ˜†
majikmind (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Yea the house definetly has some past. And the history does seem to go with what was happening while we were there... As far as the mishaps with the staircase. That's really all I remember. I believe it was used as an overflow for people or cargo for the train station that was just up the street and still is to this day. My aunt and uncle liked victorian decor and antiques so maybe that's why they kept the old radio. What I meant about " playing backwards " is that it sounded like eyerthing was pronounced that way. From the end of a sentence to the beggining. Very good observation I was 8 at the time and my cousin was 10 or 11. It was common for my older cousins to be home at theses times. Just so happened that they weren't. Kinda a strange thing to comment about. I'm still here and so is he. Thanks for the comments though.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
JennZ - I know mine bark when they see me, my kids or our cat inside. And then they are jumping at the door to get in. Freaking dogs are almost taller than I am when they stand on their hind legs LOL. But yep, I definitely can see that happening. Could be one of the, "What are you doing up at this hour of the night, in the dark?" kind of barking situations.
JennZ (72 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
After reading Miracles comment I thought of something. Maybe the dog was barking crazy because, he wanted in the house.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
majikmind - first of all, if I had a stereo that "played backward" whenever it took a notion, I'd have removed it the first time it happened.

Second, if my math is correct (and it is cause I had it confirmed ๐Ÿ˜†), you were only 8 years old when this experience happened. Now, as a mom, my agitation is stirred up because two little boys of approximately the same age were left alone for 2 hours in the middle of the night. I don't care why. You said there were older brothers. Where were they? I understand parents working. I work. But I do not understand 2 little boys being left alone ๐Ÿ˜ 

Bad things can happen, and sometimes people aren't fortunate enough for it to be just a paranormal encounter. I had a friend who left her two sons alone at night. They were asleep when she left. One of them fell out his bedroom window and broke his arm. They were 8 years old.

And dogs bark. Dear Lord do they ever. I currently have 2. Sometimes they bark at things we can't see or hear. They're dogs. I'm not saying Cliffy didn't see something that wasn't there. Maybe he did. But then again, maybe it was just something outside that he was barking at.
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Ok first, I have two questions, 1- how do you hear someone walking in socks on a carpet? And 2- how the hell was your cousin sleeping "under" the couch? And you said the radio was playing backwards, what exactly does that mean?
GhostGirl2013 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
That seems very scary, I suggest you check the houses history. Maybe there's a legend or story behind it.
Thank you for sharing
~shania~
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
I've lived in small towns and most big houses have some sort of legend or history attached to them. It should be pretty easy to track down the house's history. It's only complicated by the fact that you don't live there anymore. The fact that owners or tenants keep changing is very telling.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
That sounds like a pretty miserable place to live. Does any of the history you know of the house seem to fit with the activity experienced?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: