You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Gone In A Flash

Real Ghost Stories

Gone In A Flash

 

My husband and I stayed at the infamous Myrtles Plantation for our first wedding anniversary. Aside from myself experiencing various, random feelings of dizziness and nausea, my husband witnessed a bright blue flash of light illuminate the bathroom.

It was in the evening and I was getting ready for bed. I turned off the light and was stepping out when behind me he saw the entire (albeit small) room light up. He later described it as a brilliant bright blue light, similar to the flash of a camera. He tried everything possible to recreate without success. He was so unnerved he didn't even mention it until we left the next day. At the time I could tell by the look on his face something was wrong but he said nothing and I chalked it up to him being tired. He went into the bathroom afterwards and spent a bit of time in there, again I thought nothing of it.

We had stayed in the famous plantation on purpose as we have always been interested in anything historical and/or paranormal.

A few things were easy to explain away - a swinging chandelier, likely due to the heating system, the 'funhouse' effect on the slanted upstairs floor, and 'images' on a mirror that was likely just worn from age. Lots of stray black cats roamed the property, although we found them sweet and not scary! But the light was something neither could explain away and it wasn't until further investigation we found people with similar experiences all over the world.

Definitely intriguing and something we will never forget!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mac317, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

xXThunderDragonXx (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Awesome. That would have been a brilliant place to visit for your anniverary. And it sounds like you and your other half had some interesting things happen to you both. Maybe something was just taking a look at you and seeing that you were ok where you were. And seeing that you didn't react badly. They saw you as not threat and leave you alone.
Myrtles Plantation, I have read about on many sites online. And it seems to be a fascinating place with its history and its spirit hauntings. If I get a chance to come to the USA again anytime soon. The Myrtles will be another must go to place to visit on my growing list of haunted "Bucket List" places I want to try to see before I'm too old to get to them. Alcatraz being another big must visit for me.

XXThunderDragonXx
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-07)
An electrical flash was my first thought, which would be a logical explanation in an older structure. Zack's explanation makes a lot of sense. My home is about 117 years old, but was rewired in the 1980s.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-07)
Zack84, I didn't know that about old wiring. No wonder high EMF is such a problem in some buildings. You've taught me something this morning, thanks. 😊
Mac317, I've always wanted to visit the Myrtles. Always wondered if it lives up to it's reputation. I know a lot of the pop culture history surrounding the place is false but there is enough real history there that a haunting would make sense. Thanks for sharing, I got to visit vicariously through your story.
❤
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-07)
Hi mac317, as you said many people have had similar experiences seeing the flash of light. But I do not think it could be termed as paranormal unless there is something more to it like, in that particular place or room in the hotel, people constantly view such flashes of light without any other reason. Well, if you had inquired the matter with the hotel staff, perhaps that could have given us more information to comment on it.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Zack84 (8 stories) (32 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-07)
I've had a couple of "phantom flashes" that turned out to be electrical problems. You mentioned you had just turned out the light. Was it a light switch or a lamp? A lot of buildings constructed before electricity were retrofit for power in the 20's. In our case it was a Victorian house built in 1891. They used cloth coated wire called tube and knob at the time and as the coating ages it frays and splits which can expose the wire inside.

Long story short, it happened in the front parlor and when you ran the lights for a long period, the arcing from the exposed wire would cause it to heat up, and liquefy the road aspalt used to soak the cloth coating on this wire which made it even more conductive. After you turned off the lights, it would arc, causing bright flashes from the wall sockets. Sometimes just one bright one and sometimes it would sizzle and arc multiple times. Once the tar had cooled down it stopped and wouldn't happen again if you tried to recreate it as the lights had to be run for quite a while.

Not saying this definitely caused the flash, but with a building that old perhaps.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
I have had that experience in my own bedroom. I have a former coworker who also experienced it. What is it? It was not coming from outside, because our only window does not face the street, but looks out into a grove of trees. It was like the flash was In the room.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: