You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Sighting

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Sighting

 

It was early in 1996, February. I remember because it happened on my way to my birthday gathering. I was in my first year of college, still living at home in Abbotsford.

One of the guys in my group of friends at the time had a house out in the Matsqui Flats where his parents had let us convert the car garage into a club house, complete with ping pong table, wall murals, board games, etc. This is where we were having my birthday party, which was really just an excuse for a get-together.

At this time there was something else going on in my town. Girls were getting escorted to their vehicles in the evenings at my college. A girl had been brutally murdered and her friend badly beaten. The friend had managed to get away but the man had still not been identified and was pulling cruel pranks on the family, such as removing the headstone from her grave, and calling the radio station. I did not know a lot about the case, to be honest. I just knew the basics. Everyone did.

So I am always early to things. It got dark around 5 or 5:30 at that time of year, or sometime around then. I'm pretty sure it was around 7 or so when I was driving out there. I just know it was dark.

Matsqui flats didn't have any street lighting and the houses were far away from each other, with ditches lining the roads, from what I can remember. Farmland, close to the U.S. Boarder. Not a lot around. So I'm driving and listening to music on the radio and as I am approaching the old one room schoolhouse and about to make a right, I see a girl standing on the road by the ditch on the right. So I braked and swerved and then she was gone. I shook it off and drove the rest of the way to my friend's place.

When I got there, him and another friend were still putting up decorations and I recounted what happened to them, saying I must be crazy. The friend whose house it was just looked at me and said that's around about where the murder was. That gave me a bit of a shiver but I still thought I was imagining things, or that my friend was trying to give me a scare.

About 10 minutes or so later, 2 more friends arrived. They came in the club house freaking out, and I listened to them both recount the exact same story I had just told. This was before cell phones, and the house was at least a 20 minute drive away for all of us. These 2 girls were also very logical, level-headed people.

Years later I'm still trying to find out the exact place the murder took place, but I don't want to be disrespectful to the victim's family or surviving friend by asking. I've just always wondered if that was really a ghost we saw that night.

Other hauntings by karenjunger

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, karenjunger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

karenjunger (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
I have checked the papers from around that time, but nothing mentions an exact location. It was a very long time ago now and the murderer was eventually caught. Maybe the sightings had to do with the fact he had not been caught and was not leaving her spirit and family in peace?
imlovinit (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
Was the murderer captured and was it the only murder by the criminal or was there a series of murders commited by him, great story and I wouldn't metion anything to the girls familys as that's something they will never recover from and I think it would be hard for you to deal with as you would be involved with her family emotions
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
Hi karenjunger, if it is possible, as mamachong said you can refer the local newspapers. That would definitely give exact account of where and at what time the murder took place and all such stuff. Also, if your friends had also seen the girl, then it must have been visible to others also. Have further investigated the matter? Did you ask any of the neighbours in the area or locals, who must have definitely sighted this entity if it had been visible to you and your friends. If you had already, please post it. Also, if not, even now, if it is possible inquire your friends or neighbours because, generally, people do not so easily forget the murder that happened in the area and if there has been a sighting of the spirit of the girl murdered, then it would still be in the memory of people around. So, it is worth a try.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-09)
Was the murder mentioned in the local newspaper? Sometimes the newspapers will give the names of the crossroads that was closest to where the murder happened. Sometimes they do more than one article on it.
sammy6706 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-09)
wow seems too real to be a coincidence! (sorry I am just writing all this extra stuff because the minimum is 50 characters! Hahaha)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: