You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Triad Of Apparently Haunted Closets

Real Ghost Stories

Triad Of Apparently Haunted Closets

 

I know that I am new to this site and thus my credence isn't very high amongst you all. I know also that I have no right to claim to be a psychic or medium. However, I will tell my story as it happened as truthfully as my memory will allow me to recount it.

The first closet I speak of was the one in my bedroom in the first apartment I recall living in. I lived in this apartment from age 2 to about age 3, give or take a few months.

From what I can remember is that the closest was (to me at the time) a rather large, spacious walk-in type. It doubled as both toy storage and playroom for me and my elder brother and any friends we had over. I don't recall being frightened of the closet at first. However, that changed on a day that I had friends over for a play date. I recall one of the children, a girl of about 4, finding a small chip in the plaster wall of the closet which she proceeded to enlarge with a toy (I cannot recall what type of toy it was). Once she damaged that plaster the closet suddenly felt very unwelcoming to me and I left.

After that day I could no longer go into the closet alone, nor could I spend more then a few minutes in there when I was coerced inside by friends or my brother. To cap it all off, there was one night when I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. As I was laying in bed I heard a voice from the direction from the closet... A man's voice. I can't recall what it said nor can I recall if I understood it. All I know is that it scared me so much that for the first and last time I went to sleep with my head under the covers. (I can't sleep like that normally because to me it feels like I'm suffocating.)

Now onto the story regarding the second and third closets. I lump them together because, while they were in different apartments, they resided in the same building.

When I was 21, I got my very first apartment by myself. It was a small one bedroom affair. It had 2 closets: one in the hallway between the living room and kitchen, the other in the bedroom. I was fine with the hallway one; however, I always felt like I was being watched from the bedroom one. I ended up not using the bedroom closet and when I wasn't in the bedroom, I kept the door shut because of the feeling I got from it. I never had anything happen, which was good. I just didn't like the eerie feeling the closet gave me.

The last closet was in a bigger apartment on the other side of the house from the eerie closet apartment. I moved into the last apartment with my mother when I became pregnant with my son. The closet was again in my bedroom (just my luck eh?). Due to the shape of the room, I had a little alcove between the entryway into the room (a set of sliding wood doors) and the closet itself. The alcove was large enough to fit my queen-sized bed and I also had room to fit my computer and a small stand to set it on at the foot of my bed. The door to the room opened out onto the living room. So, as such, I could sit on the foot of my bed and play my online games while watching the television. (I tell you this because it is important to the story.)

Back to the closet. Upon opening the closet you could tell that the apartment building was a old building divided into smaller apartments. How could you tell this? Just the fact that whoever added the closet had ripped out a door and plastered over the doorway, without removing the doorframe or the hinges.

So to get to the story. I am a great lover of paranormal shows like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. In this apartment I would sit on my bed and watch TV (as stated before). This, of course, put the closet door behind me. Well, the first time the "incident" happened I was watching Ghost Hunters. They were doing their investigation when all of a sudden I heard a click and a creak. When I turned around the closet door, previously closed and latched, was open about 3 inches. Thinking it was just a draft from the poorly plastered-over door, I got up and closed it and slid the bolt (it was locked with a small, rather old, sliding bolt). This was by no means the last time the scenario would play out. It happened several times; however, it only did so when I was watching a paranormal show. I could watch something involving cute, cuddly kittens on animal planet and the door would stay firmly shut.

One night, during a particularly scary episode of Ghost Adventures, I again heard the click and creak. This time, instead of just shutting and locking the door, I opened it wide and, feeling a bit like a fool, spoke into it. I said something along the lines of, "I can't see you so I do not know if you are in there. However, if you are, I would ask if you would please resist opening the door during my paranormal shows. I am scared enough by them already. You may open the door during any other show if you would like, just not the paranormal ones. Thank you." I then said that I was going to shut the door and latch it, which I did and upon doing so went back to my show.

A few weeks later at night I heard a male voice. I was half asleep so I do not know what it said. I did call out though, thinking it was my fiance coming to pick me up in the morning. When I was more awake I realized it was still dark out, much too early for my man to be picking me up. Thus I went back to sleep. When I woke up the closet door was wide open as if someone had walked out of it. All the other times it only opened up a few inches at the most.

My mother has a highly spiritual friend who happened to stop by that last apartment. She claimed there was a spirit attached to the plastered door in the closet. I do not know the validity of her claim, though. I do doubt it, though, for she said it was a female spirit and I distinctly heard a male voice.

I cannot ask for you to believe me. All I ask for is you to read my story and give me your honest opinion. Even if your opinion is that I'm in need of the so called "BS Blankie." Oh, and please forgive me for the length.

Other hauntings by VermontVampyre

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Vermont

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VermontVampyre, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
I bet I know which show you were watching on Animal Planet with the kittens. Was it "Too Cute"? I love that show. I love the ones with puppies, too. ❤
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
I had a haunted closet when I was a child. It was inhabited by a rather unhappy male spirit. (Or possibly a demon) I absolutely believe you by the way. I don't know WHY or HOW some closets become "hideouts" for certain entities, I only know that they DO!
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
I just thank my lucky stars that I don't have a bedroom closet in my current apartment. With my luck it'd be haunted too. 😨
Is it weird to point out that while closet 1 was in Rutland, Vt closets 2 and 3 were in Saint Johnsbury, Vt... Which I've heard labled as one of the most haunted towns in Vermont?
MoonFall (1 stories) (48 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
I definitely see truth to your story. I find closets to be eerie at times, myself. But I think this manner of thinking is a result of camp-fire ghost stories I used to hear about Mr. Boogie man! Lol However, I have experienced a presence in other areas of my house so excluding a closet would not make much sense. Closets and sinks seem to be good portals... Or at least the area around the sink. I was told it was because water is a good source of energy which spirits need a lot of in order to make their presence known. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I realize there are stories/people that may require the blanky, but I believe it's safe to say this site is a good comfort for those of us who have experienced the paranormal and perhaps do not have anyone to support our beliefs. Until my stepmom actually had the same experience by the sink (twice), she used to giggle at me as well. Don't feel alone. I believe I can speak for the majority of us when I say we're all here to help each other. 😁
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
VV, I had one of those closets, too! It was a walk-in closet large enough for me to put a sleeping bag and blankets on the floor and sort of hide out there. It had a trap door and that never bothered me. The closet in our master bedroom today has one, too, and that scares the bejeebers out of me.
Isolde (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Yes! I agree about the rooms. It is the same for rooms used as storage. Forgotten spaces: a lot of junk, part of the house, but not a space people live... And in most cases people don't really know what stuff they put there. They forgot and don't 'own' the room anymore. These become spaces 'in between': a perfect place for something else to find its place... Nicely close to humans.
Well, that's just my theory...
Isolde 😊
EdenMarie (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
VV,

It's quite common for many of us to feel like no one believes us. I've been dealing with it most of my life. My own family laughs at me and says i'm "being weird again" when I mention something I saw, heard, felt, etc that they didn't. You are definately not alone in this. And I will say, I find sites like this one and psychic experiences make me feel more...normal. Hehe
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Argette I had a walk in closet once with a ceiling trap door. I used to have to sleep in it when guests were over. I loved it. Most closets are alright to me... Just not these 3 in the story.

Thanks for believing in me guys. I don't have many believers around me in my life. Just those who find it amusing to laugh at my stories... And then tell me they see a ghost in my house. [I am pretty sure nothing inhabits my current apartment]
Argette (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
Closets are strange rooms. They are generally not rooms we humans live in, and unless we are small kids, we rarely play in them. They are dark. They often have ceiling trap doors that lead to attics. They are also often cobbled together when old homes are remodeled. For these reasons, they seem to be portals to something. I think your story is credible, VermontVampyre.
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
I guess there could be more then one ghost. I mean... The house was a big old victorian type that was chopped up for apartments. The male could've gone to visit the neighbors.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
VermontVampyre - I enjoyed your story and I'm with granny. I don't see the need for the Blankie... Or the Bus 😉

As for your mom's spiritual friend, maybe (giving her the benefit of a doubt), there is more than one ghost in the apartment and she was just picking up on the female energy instead of the male that you are more intune to. Maybe he was "out" at the time. And I'm not being a smart*ss. I honestly believe my ghosts go other places sometimes because I don't always feel them around me. Just a thought 😊
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
Actually the last time the closet ever opened was the night I heard the voice.

I bet the ghosties want their own rooms. Thus the hauntings of closets, bathrooms, cellars, and attics.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
VermontVampyre: I see our BS Blankie has quite a reputation, even for the newbies 😆. But I don't think we have any reason to throw, toss or hurl it here! I'm wondering if the closet door ever opened again during your paranormal shows? I don't know what it is about closets, bathrooms and basements that seem to attract ghosties, but some theorize that it's because they are the least used areas of a home. Makes sense, and it's something to ponder.

Thank you for posting! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: