You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Terrorizing My Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Terrorizing My Cats

 

Once again it has been far too long since I last published a story! Lots of little things have been happening at our home, but nothing overly dramatic thankfully! I wanted to publish this just to keep you up to date about the little things happening.

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, my aunty and uncle came down to stay with us. It was the first time they had seen the new house, or had even met my boyfriend or best friend. There was tension everywhere in the days coming up to their visit. Hasty cleaning jobs were being done, beds made, sheets washed. All of the normal "family is coming over" types of things that are done last minute, no matter how long you have to prepare.

With tension so high in our household, there were lots of fights, so the cats stayed out of our way, hiding in the basement for the most part. One day, as "Cody" and I were moving our dining room table out of our living room where it had been residing while we cleaned the floors in the eating area, the cats came screeching out of the basement. The door to the basement is in our kitchen, as it acts as our cellar as well. The door was just slightly ajar, and we had the table in hand when all three cats came whipping up the stairs and disappeared into the living room in between our legs. We placed the table and went to investigate. In the living room, there were no signs of kitty life, but upon looking under the couch and love seat, we found all three cats, just shaking in terror. We closed the door and forgot about it, being as we had zero time to investigate further.

We had another incident with the cats a couple days later, also with the basement. My aunt and uncle had been left at our home alone, because all three of us had to work. Apparently my aunt had opened the door into our basement and went to get cereal or something and had left it open a crack, because a cat had gone down there with her. After eating they were both sitting at the kitchen table relaxing, when again the cats came running up the stairs in a blind panic and ran into the living room and hid under the furniture. My aunt and uncle went to investigate, my uncle grabbing a flashlight.

The basic set up of our basement is a big open room, with shelves all along one side as our cellar (in case of emergency/apocalypse) and a couch and a chair and a big screen TV for a man cave and hockey and as a chill spot for when friends come over. There was a small bathroom in the back, at the very far left side, and another smaller cold storage room on the far right. There is storage under the stairs reminiscent of Harry Potter and that was about it.

Now, our lights downstairs are a bit sketchy at the best of times (old house, bad wiring) so after turning on, they began to flicker and make "a perfect horror movie setting", in my aunt's words. They just generally checked around, making sure nothing had fallen or anything dangerous to the kitties, and then made their way back upstairs. My aunt says she doesn't know what made her turn around to look behind her at that exact moment, but when she did, she thought she saw someone vanishing into the bathroom (on the far left). She grabbed my uncle and whispered to him about seeing the person (she claims it was a man) go into the bathroom. My uncle is a pretty big guy, so he tromped down there, flashlight in hand, and hollered for who ever it was to come out or he would come in there (he's a giant teddy bear, just for reference's sake). When no one came out, he pushed open the door SWAT style and looked around. There is literally no possible way for a person to get out of there unless they crawled down the toilet, but the room was empty. He blamed it on the lighting and went upstairs, but my aunt told me of it later while we were making supper. It struck a bit of a cord with me because Kenzie (my best friend and roommate) had mentioned seeing some weird shadows down there a few times.

We thought that the basement was the worst place, but apparently Kenzie has been tormented frequently in her room, which is at the very end of the upstairs hallway. She wakes up in the night feeling watched and just generally uncomfortable. She complains that the cats won't sleep in her room either, which just freaks her out more.

We've had lots of little things go missing recently, which at first we attributed to our cats. But my car keys turned up in the bathtub the other day, which the cats avoid at all costs. They won't even enter the bathroom, let alone play with the keys in the bathtub, which is their worst enemy. Other than that, there's not much to report. The normal funny shadows out of the corner of your eye, the weird noises, my cats having mental breakdowns when they go into certain rooms, the normal stuff for haunted houses.

Feel free to comment. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of the true haunting, though I'm hoping it stays small like this.

Lots of love and Goddess Bless,

TLBD

Oh yes, almost forgot. "Cody" and "Kenzie" aren't real names, just as a reminder again.

Other hauntings by TheLightBeforeDawn

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheLightBeforeDawn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

earthangel0410 (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-02)
True cats can be strange, Maybe one got scared and that made the other 2 get scared you heard the phrase copycats, Your cats will let you know if there's something going on, None of my cats are scaredy cats so I know when there's something in my apartment cause my cats will start growling and like a dog they will try and protect me, that's when I get scared when my cats act totally different. But if there was something down that made your cats that scared they won't go down there right away.
TheLightBeforeDawn (5 stories) (41 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
I have to admit, my cats are a bit eccentric... But they have continued to be kind of strange about the basement and Kenzies room.
BadJuuJuu: my aunt and uncle have pretty unshakable standards in their lives. I was surprised that it was mentioned to me at all actually, because neither of them are really "into that stuff". And thank you for the writing compliment. It's a passion of mine, since I was really little. And it's okay to admit you liked my experience. Frightening? Yes. Cool? Still yes:P
Zetafornow: they're still being funny, not that this abnormal for cats. This beyond the normal range of strange though. They definitely have the stampede mentality sometimes, but they're not really the nut job types that run for no reason, unless we give them catnip (bad idea by the way, it's like crack for cats)
Lazria: if you read my first story in relation to my new house, they definitely were off from the moment we settled there. At first, nothing dramatic, but it seems to be getting a little worse everyday.
Miracles51031: power box is down there, but it was recently replaced, so I don't think it would give off abnormal readings. I have been keeping a bit of a journal, and I've asked both the boyfriend and best friend to journal in it too. The only problem is finding time!
Thank you to everyone for the comments!:) I'll try out the EMF, just out of curiosities sake. I'm much like my cats that way!:P
Goddess Bless,
TLBD
Death_Defier (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
😐 You're actually lucky, I only had one experience so far but I can't post it yet
MJackson91 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
You can deffinatly tell when cats are just "normally" freeking out or if they really do see something we cant...
In one of my storys I had told about my child hood cat pacho, he would go crazzy just like any other cat but when somthing caught his eye you could definatly tell.
When cats start hissing and their hair stands straight up you can tell that something is deffinatly there...
I like this story alot!

Thanks,
MJackson91 😁
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-15)
I have cat too before she passed away She did gone crazy run around the house like some hell hound is after her until she calm down and yes Cats do see things in paranormal plus she go crazy if there a vacume cleaner made noise. So your cats made seen something that this shadow made not like cats *Strugs* Just My sugguest as my thought. [at] Badjuujuu We should become friends cause I am crazy cat lady too lol.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
TLBD - okay, I'm back. Had to pick up my son from school. If these things are still continuing, I recommend keeping a journal. Date/time and what you, your boyfriend and roommate experience, as well as your cats. Even though I said your cats may not be the best indicator in this situation, that's not to say I don't believe they don't see or hear things that we don't. I just know that cats are truly "unique" animals (and I'm using that term with true affection 😉). But seriously, do keep track of how they act too.

As for your aunt and uncle's experience in the basement. Is the electrical box down there? It wouldn't hurt anything to check the EMF readings, just to rule that out. Some people claim high EMF can cause hallucinations, as well as nausea, paranoia, etc.

I'm not trying to discount your story by any means. I hope you are able to figure out whether or not these are normal conditions versus paranormal. And I honestly believe a journal would be a great place to start. If they are paranormal, I expect we'll see another story from you 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
TLBD - I know it seems as if all the comments are about the cats, and yet, here I am doing the same 😆 My cat, The Demon Cat From Hell, is freaking ridiculous! He knows everyone who comes into my home, yet he'll fly (I'm talking all 4 legs scattering across the laminate flooring in all directions because he's moving as fast as he can... In full panic mode as if the hounds of hell are after him) when someone comes in. It doesn't matter if it's me, my kids, whoever. He knows everyone! And yet he completely acts like an idiot and runs to my bedroom and hides when the Living Room door opens.

Yet he terrorizes my son 😆 And the attitude if the weather doesn't suit him when he wants to go outside. Funny, funny cat LOL (When I don't want to give him away 😉)

Basically, I think you get that we're trying to tell you that your cats may not be the best indicator of something paranormal. Although, sometimes they really can be... If it's something bad. Experienced that myself. Kind of contradicted myself there, didn't I? LOL Sorry about that.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
I back BadJuuJuu's thoughts on cats (they are weird freaky skittish animals) - mine will run through the house making this horrible noise only to jump on the bed and go to sleep.

One thing I noticed is you didn't state if they had been acting off BEFORE you had guests. Now that your guests have left, are they more "normal" or are they still acting off and avoiding certain rooms/locations?

They could have been spooked by something simple (like the dreaded bath tub) and won't return to that place. Also, another thing to take note - is it one animal that seems to start acting strange before the others or are you only seeing all of them acting off. Just something to keep an eye on.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
Although I do not have a cat, I do have a dog and have had dogs most of my life. I will say this... Dogs are a "creature of habit" so to speak. They like their routine, their regular people, and things to be quite normal. When I have company, particularly company that stays for awhile, my dog goes a bit crazy. Now maybe that happened with your cats... They also probably noticed the tension in the air and got nervous with all of the hustle and bustle of preparations. With that being said, I also know that dogs, and I'm sure cats, can sense paranormal. Do you have any other things going on. Did things settle down after the company left?

Thanks, zeta.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Well, the cats freaking out over the basement, I really wouldn't worry about. I'm a crazy cat lady, and have seen mine do something very similar to what you're describing, over nothing paranormal at all, on an annoyingly regular basis.
One of my cats will get spooked by something, usually something absurd (the incident with my boot lace comes to mind, yeech) and start to run. Running cat will spook other cats, and they sprint through the house to take shelter on the bed. I've seen them do this because my bootlace flapped funny, I've seen them do it because I've uncrossed my legs, reaching for the remote causes mass panic some days. I guess I'm just saying, cats are weird. Really freaking weird, which is why I love 'em.
Considering the way you describe the lighting in the basement, any sighting in there might be best disregarded. The flickering can really play tricks with your eyes, and it's likely that's all that happened to your aunt.
I really wouldn't call any of this the beginning of a haunt just yet. Too many potential non-paranormal explanations. That being said you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and I enjoyed your writing style. I won't say I enjoyed your story, because it just seems tacky to enjoy an experience that made someone uncomfortable.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: