You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Things That Make Ya Go 'hmmm'

Real Ghost Stories

Things That Make Ya Go 'hmmm'

 

Out of all the strange things I've experienced lately, this account goes to the top of the list of "What the hell was that?" Haha!

A couple of weeks ago, February 23rd to be exact, as usual I was running a little late leaving for work. It was nearly 6am and still darkish. We live in a gated retirement community of manufactured homes, and most don't have garages, just carports. Something to note that is relevant to this story: although the community is intended for those 55 years old and older, only one member of the household has to be that age, preferably the spouse. (NO children allowed).

My car is normally parked at the end of our driveway behind my hubby's truck. As I headed for the car I could hear, what sounded like to me, a dog behind my car. I could hear their nails on the cement. I thought it was the neighbor's Basset Hound, as it sounded like a larger dog. She had gotten loose on a few occasions and seems to love to park on our stair to await her master's retrieval. Because I was heading for work I really didn't want to have to deal with the mess a Basset Hound can cause all over my black work uniform, so I hurried to the car. As I reached for the door handle, the footfalls began to come around from behind the car and the pace quickened. I thought, "Oh no! She caught me and if I don't hurry up and close the door she'll climb in the car with me" LOL. I jumped in the car and slammed the door, hoping I wouldn't catch her ear or paw or head in the process, because I felt her right there behind me as I jumped in.

I started the car (hoping it would scare her away) and at the same time, glanced in the side view mirror to see if she was leaving. My husband had used my car the day before and had adjusted the mirror up, so I couldn't see the pavement until I readjusted it. I couldn't see her, but since only a few seconds had elapsed since I'd turn the key, I started backing out slowly to avoid possibly running her over. As I was backing, I was readjusting the rear view mirror and saw a neighbor running down the street. Apparently he was late getting to the bus stop just outside the gate. (He is only 30-something, married to an older lady) So I thought, "Oh sh*t! She's going to start chasing him!"

I stopped, fully prepared to save him from the neighbor's hound... That wasn't anywhere to be seen. There was no dog LOL. Anyone who's ever owned a dog knows that when they see someone running, unless they're on a leash, any dog will take the opportunity to give chase, especially those of the "hound" persuasion because it's what they're bred for. I caught up to the runner and rolled down my window to see if I could hear anything about him that would resemble the sound of doggy nails on cement, but nothing. I couldn't even hear his feet hitting the pavement.

So, yeah. Hmmmm.

Other hauntings by zzsgranny

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zzsgranny, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Thought I'd bump this for our members who didn't see it and those who may have forgotten. Thank you 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
MEMBERS: *sigh This comment isn't directed to anyone in particular, but recently it's become a trend to post novels in the comments section. Although I do love that most times these comments are very informative and helpful it has also created a situation where we, as mods, find it difficult to follow all of the comments and do a decent job moderating.

Please find a way to express your thoughts/advice in a more efficient and eloquent manner. Try to trim out the "fluff" so to speak. It would be highly appreciated!

Love to all, and thank you! ❀
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
Not to sound rude do you mean me or that person I think its me then I bet right
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
πŸ˜† [at] Granny yep its widely rumored that the Kelpies have some of its origins coming from the Dingo! Pics of both and seeing actual purebred Dingoes at a nearby Dingo farm and having owned/known as well known many other Kelpies (tish/mez's breeders also breed their father and uncle and had a pure bred Kelpie etc etc) so many pure and X breed convinced me that there's Dingo in Kelpies!

And yes they are hard working both trained and untrained. My 2 remainging are trained working dogs and are just the most natural watch dogs out! Just like every other one I have met and heard of! Even just trained in the basics (ie sit stay etc) they are hard workers as theyre the MOST natural watch dogs you can find! NO training needed there!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Martin: Thank you for answering that once again. Why can't I ever remember that? πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Geetha: I'm so sorry, I neglected your comment! Yes, you and a few others read this before I posted it here πŸ˜‰.

Aussie: You know, you might have something there. But unless it happens again, I don't know if we'll ever know πŸ˜†.

Morticia: I had to Google the Australian Kelpie LOL. When I first saw the images, I was struck by the similar features of the Dingo, and as I read further discovered that they probably have Dingo genes. Cool! They're beautiful animals, and I bet they're hard workers!

Thank you all for reading and commenting!
❀
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
I had to laugh reading your experience granny! Having owned 3 kelpie x's and grown up with a pure bred (one my mum owned when she had me!) I immediately thought of BOTH Kippy's (mums kelpie was called Kippy which is where I got my dogs name from 😊) as well as Tish and Mez!

ANYONE that knows the Kelpie breed knows they're a working dog (sheep mostly but they are trained for cattle etc as well) and will chase anything! (and yes all 3 of mine loved trying to round up the 2 big ones as well as Benny the little maltese/silky x πŸ˜†) This reminded me so much of this lot as well my Kippy wanting to hop into bed with mummy etc even after he passed away 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Martin,
Well hello! There are many free chatrooms available, depending on the style you wish. Let's see... Granny became a member in 2009, right? Gads there has been many changes! With many different options.
Of course a chatroom is not a nessecity but a nice-ity. Many sites have gone the way of the 'shoutbox' (also can be had for free). Heck for all I know, YGS members may have no desire for either 😊.
If you decide you'd like to investigate the possibility further, my email is on my profile, and I will help you ferret out the best possible 'freebies'.
~Val
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Makes you go hmm alright? You know my thoughts on multiple universes granny and I couldn't see no rational reason why a basset would want to come back and let us all know it's crossed over? So I think it's possible, you was experiencing one of those unique accounts, of multiple universe's over lapsing each other? Perhaps somewhere else that basset got hold of who ever it was chasing?... But thank god it wasn't you granny... Thank you for sharing another interesting story!
Martin (602 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
It wasn't as much about detracting from the comments because the chat room was more of a place for regulars to chit chat, but as with many things, a minority of abusive users ruined it for the rest of us, it became impossible to moderate and I was receiving a deluge of complaints by email. The chat room medium tends to exacerbate dramas, and it also becomes more dangerous for younger users. So I called it quit on that, but I'm still open to other chat solutions if their technology solve most of these issues, and if it's free for webmasters πŸ˜‰
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
*Nods* Valid point. There can be such a thing as too many options.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
There was one at some point, but it didn't work out, because if I recall, Martin said it detracted from the comments threads. And I would think it would be hard to moderate LOL. This was before I became a member.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Just a thought for the site: has Martin considered adding a chatroom?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Val: No doubt, that thread will go in the YGS record book as "the most aliases in one 24 hour period" πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

WishfulNull: hahahaha πŸ˜†
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Val,...Hey, you're right! That thread may just qualify as my 1st "paranormal" experience! Hey... It sure wasn't "normal", that's for sure! πŸ˜†!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
What you didn't consider that other thread strange?
Got plenty strange for me.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
WishfulNull: πŸ˜† Somehow I knew you'd be the one to get that LOL! And thank you. It's nice to know that we're appreciated.

Thank you for reading my story. It's one of the strangest things that's happened to me lately. 😊
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
Lol!...Corn. πŸ˜† Granny, thank you (and Miracles and the other MODS too!) for your hard work & doing such a good job of, to quote you vaguely from another comment that you had in a different post, "tracking down the Skittles and making them taste the rainbow"!

You guys do a wonderful job of keeping up with all the shenanigans, I can't imagine how time-consuming it must be.

Oh, and I enjoyed this story - it DID make me go hmmmm...😁

Best Wishes,
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
Val, only when we have to πŸ˜†. I wish I could stay up longer sometimes, but this old corn-fed body needs the rest πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
Miracles and Granny,
Uh- huh and I guess you want us to believe that you actually sleep at times too? πŸ˜‰
Good job, Ladies! 😊 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
I'm trying, I'm trying... Slave driver...sheesh! πŸ˜†

Granny's right, y'all. Between our real jobs (you know, the ones that pay the bills πŸ˜‰) and our personal lives (cause we really do have all of that, believe it or not LOL), and then you add the...ummm..."stuff" like that it does take time away from editing stories.

So, we do apologize and hope to get this train back on its track because we don't like this anymore than you do. Thanks for bearing with us.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
I just want to explain to some of you who've submitted stories recently, and are wondering where they are. Well, the past couple days we've been distracted by another thread, among other things. It's these types of distractions that keep us from spending what little time we DO have on editing. So, I apologize to all who are waiting, and hopefully we can get back to doing business soon ❀ ❀
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-17)
I was going to make Spockie's suggestion after I read all the comments but he beat me to it. Although, I never had a basset, my friend did and I got to know the clicks of his nails and they do sound similar to a raccoon. It's probably due to the fact they have similar walking styles.

I'm not a small dog person but for some reason I loves bassets. The time I spend with my friend's basset, Joey, is always fun. They are enjoyable dogs.

Granny, I got to ask you... Was this story re posted? I'm asking because I know I read the story awhile back but forgot to comment on it but the comments here date back only three days... I think I might be losing my mind?!?!

LOL! I love your roadkill comment... Living in the city growing up, I would see dogs and cats as roadkill and now that I live in Ajax (about 20 minutes out) I see more critters being roadkill... I even saw a wolf as roadkill on the highway. But when I went to India last year... That was a totally different story... I actually saw a donkey and a cow as roadkill and coyotes eating them... And the biggest culture shock was seeing a herd of cows crossing the street in the main city...wouldn't have surprised me if it was the country but this was the city... Sorry was talking on
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
That should be "you've given me AN idea". Ah'm un edatur an Ah shood no that. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
Zander: Yeah, Bassets are the "low-riders" of big dogs πŸ˜†. If my mirror had been in the position I normally keep it I would have been able to see it. The few seconds it took to readjust it was plenty of time for the dog to have gone behind the car, or somewhere else, that's why I was backing slowly. I was very diligent in looking around to try to locate the dog, as I didn't want to hit it LOL. But, in my opinion, if the dog was anywhere in the area, it would've been aware of the runner even before I was and would've given chase. After I'd realized there wasn't a dog around, I still sat there for a few seconds frantically searching the area, until it hit me to get up beside the runner.

You've given me a idea though. I think I'll take some pics of our driveway, and the surrounding homes and post them. Thank you!
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
Is the height of the dog lower than the visibility level from a seated position in the car? Did you check with the neighbors about whether or not their dog was out at the time? Given the configuration of a mobile home community, I'm envisioning a good degree of opportunity to duck away between any given two.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
Heck, Granny, everyone shortens my name to "Val", even me! The whole nic will try your fingers in knots! πŸ˜† So no worries in the shortening of it.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
MidnightHuntress - just an addition to granny's comment: If you type your story in word and copy/paste when the submission page is open, PLEASE (and I cannot stress this enough), proof your story AGAIN before you submit it. When stories are copy/pasted from word to here, it "messes up" contractions and we end up with words like didn't or couldn't and we (the mods) have to correct every one of these when we edit the stories. You'll notice them because they show up just like they did here. So please fix them before hitting submit.

Thank you 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-16)
Narella: Yeah, I wish I had access to the footage on the security cameras. Maybe the next time she parks her butt on my stairs I'll think to take a picture 😊.

Val: (sorry but I'm suffering from lackofcoffeeitis πŸ˜†). Doxies are an intelligent breed, no doubt. My little Frank never fails to amaze me LOL. But you're right, I think I would've seen something if there was an animal about, but there wasn't.

Thank you for reading and commenting. ❀

MidnightHuntress: Please see my comment to you on the story "Bright Green Light". Thank you.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: