You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Who Had The Last Laugh?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Had The Last Laugh?

 

This is actually an experience, told to me by my father, many years ago. I shall start by telling you some of the circumstances, which led up to the events.

My dad, after completing Standard 6 at school, (grade 8) was forced to leave and seek employment, due to the "Great Depression" which had hit the Western world. His fathers' family had grown - five children now. (Gran popped 'em out, almost as fast as I did!) He was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship as a (shaft) carpenter with De Beers' Mines in Kimberley.

A few years down the line an opportunity presented itself to make more money, but this entailed leaving Kimberley and his family; moving to what was then known as South-West Africa; now known as Namibia. He took the plunge, and was sent to a small town, Luderitz. (He also went to Kolmanskop, if any of you are interested and have time on your hands, google "the ghost town of Kolmanskop".) Many of the inhabitants were Germans, whom also spoke English, Afrikaans, and some of the local native dialects. My dad found accommodation at a local lodging house.

A little aside from the story: The land-lady had a young daughter named Nellie. She also owned a one-legged Indian Myna bird, which used to hop around freely. One day, this 'lady' was calling for her child, screaming at the top of her voice, "NELLIE", yes, just like a fish-wife would! A few seconds later, the 'echo' "Nellie!" was heard. The woman swung around, glaring, expecting to find someone mocking her. All she found, was the Myna bird... It had learned to mimic the woman's voice. My Dad, watching from a short distance away, had to suppress his laughter. He didn't want to 'fall foul' of this rather large harridan.

The type of mining (I think it was mainly alluvial, at the time) was very different to that back in Kimberley, so there were no 'shafts' to work in. He was employed more in the building trade, erecting 'offices' and other temporary structures, made of a wooden frame, then covered by corrugated iron. Amongst these structures, was a 'mortuary'.

Due to the intense heat of the climate, and the lack of cooling systems, this was a very temporary building... Nothing big or fancy... Just a shed with space for a 'bunk-bed' type structure on either side of the inside walls. From what I can understand, the door was also made of corrugated iron - no lock, only a sliding bolt.

Amongst my dad's co-workers, was a very superstitious German chap, (we shall call him Kurt) and another English fellow (William). Now Will had a great sense of humour, and was always pulling some prank or other on his comrades. Kurt, on the other hand, was very dour, with no sense of humour at all.

As I mentioned earlier, the temperatures soar in that part of the world, often reaching 37 degrees Celsius (99F). Due to the excessive heat, any corpse kept there would quickly bloat, due to the air trapped inside the body, expanding the stomach. Kurt had been present, one day, when a corpse had 'sat up' and belched; so Kurt was very reluctant to enter the mortuary, alone or even with another (living) person present. This incident gave Will the inspiration for one of his devilish pranks.

My dad was to 'lure' Kurt into the mortuary, on some pretext or another; while the two men were inside, Will would climb down the sand-dune (my dad was forever telling me how the sand dunes 'moved' overnight) next to the building, and 'run' his hammer along the corrugated iron. My dad, being still young and full of mischief too, agreed to Will's plan. The trap was set!

Shortly after my dad and Kurt entered the mortuary, sliding sand was heard outside; this was a normal occurrence, so Kurt didn't make any comment. All of a sudden, the loud "Rat-at-tat" of the hammer being drawn over the corrugated iron was heard; Kurt's eyes bugged from their sockets, and he fled the building, sobbing with fear. Will came into the mortuary, and stood with my dad, laughing, until the tears rolled down their cheeks.

Suddenly, my dad stopped laughing, as the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. He instinctively turned around; there, behind him, was the glowing outline of a person, standing beside a corpse. Dad frantically pushed Will out the door, and they both bolted for safety.

Who had the last laugh?

I hope you enjoyed my dad's tale as much as I did.

Thank you for reading

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
hmb2002, I thank you, you are too kind! 😊

I am greatly honoured to be among your favorite posters. I hope you continue to enjoy my tales. ❀
hmb2002 (5 stories) (25 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
fergie,

You are in my very short list of favorite posters! I love your stories and have all of them in my faveorites! I'm glad I came across one of your stories! ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-04)
There you go Miracles! What did I tell you? Miracles to the rescue Again!

I hope you had a lovely 'productive' weekend!

JS, don't worry about Karma points. I count my 'success or failure' by the number of responses to my tales! πŸ˜‰
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-04)
Hi Amihet, I am humbled by your words, thank you. 😊
It is a pleasure, sharing my life with all of the good people on YGS. The folks here, have brought me comfort, and laughs, many times. And yes, a lot of my life is here on these pages. (Lol my life is an open book!)

I am sorry for the loss of your parents, especially through cancer, I know it is difficult. Never a nice thing to watch. Let all the good times live on in your heart.

Thank you so much for reading all of my narratives, I only have a couple left (so far). Thank you for your lovely comment, it is appreciated.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-04)
Miracles: Thank you, it actually worked this time. It wouldn't let me do it at first. I always try to zoom in really close before I vote. It still doesn't work sometimes, lol.

JS aka Brandon:)
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-04)
Hi Fergie: I just read all of your stories and I thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am so sorry that you lost Angel to cancer, I lost both of my parents to cancer a couple of years back and I can only imagine the great pain that you faced. The Good Lord has blessed you with a wonderful family and a great ability to convey messages full of love, grace, humour and hope. Thank you for sharing your life with us and I look forward to reading some more. Adriana.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
JS - try and see if it'll let you change your vote. I've made that same mistake (several times LOL) and I've been able to hit the green arrow after hitting the red. Granted, it's been awhile since I've tried to do it, but it might be worth a shot.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Fergie: I actually tried to vote you up, but I accidentally hit the red button. I blame it on my iPhone, haha. I'll ttyl though, on the next story.

JS aka Brandon:)
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
JS, I like it when a man is emotional! It shows that they are human! πŸ˜‰ Not made of stone, like some guys pretend to be.

Oops! The system wouldn't let me vote you up any more! Catch you later!

I look forward to our next conversation, on another story... πŸ˜†
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Fergie: Well, I can't speak for all men. I'm a very emotional guy. It's times when I don't care to show it. However, I feel like I have to keep it under radar in this society, because the men or women who see it as a weakness will look at it as being soft (sort of like a shark with blood), and they will attempt to take advantage of me. That's why I keep the warrior paint on most of the time, haha.

Your always welcome Fergie. I'll more than likely start another conversation on your next story, lol.

JS aka Brandon:)
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Oh my! JS, you charmer you! 😳 You make me blush!

As you see, I did get up in time to see your comments. And yes, I understand how men try to avoid tears. What is it with men? Do they think it is unmanly to show emotion? πŸ˜‰

Thanks again for the comments JS. 😊
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Fergie: I forgot to add to the fact that being mature in age is a blessing. I look at those women as wine getting a richer taste, haha.

JS aka Brandon;)
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Fergie: Oh no, I should've checked back a lot sooner, because I knew it was a good chance you might be sleep. You may be getting up in time to see this post, haha.

Your very welcome, I'll get to your 'tissue warning' stories soon. I wanted to start off with some comedy. You know how most men try to avoid shedding tears.:)

JS aka Brandon
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Ooh! JS, lately I have been getting complaints that I don't put 'tissue warnings' on enough of my narratives. I am so glad that you found one to make you laugh!

Thanks for your comment young man, you only just caught this old girl in time. It's off to bed again, for me. It is 10:40pm here. πŸ˜‰
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Fergie: I really enjoyed this story. You always find a way to make me laugh.

JS aka Brandon
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
DARKNESS: I am glad you found the humour in this tale, as I did. Sometimes the telling is funnier than the experience...eh?

Humm...I guess we are all lucky to not live through the dark days that the Depression brought.

Thanks for reading, and your comment Dan.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Geetha,
I had a good giggle when my dad told me too! Yeah! He could 'meet out the punishment', but he couldn't take a dose himself...Lol! I don't think he believed in spirits/ghosts, up until then.

At the time that he told me this tale, I didn't believe in the supernatural either, as I had not had experiences of my own. I thought ghost stories were only a form of 'entertainment'! How wrong could I be?

Thank you for reading and your comment geetha.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Hi Val,
Thanks for the link, but it tells me "The content is currently unavailable".
Thank you for your time and effort, it is appreciated. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Fergie: Had a little laugh at that 😁 what an age to live in, makes me appreciate what I do now! I love these sort of account simple yet truly believable. Thanks for sharing again Fergie.

Dan
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Fergie,
Nice story... Had to laugh at your father's reaction.

Rook and Miracles,
Look at what you guy did... Now I have to take a look at this series.

Valkricry,
The link you provided goes to the website but the videos don't work for me... Probably it's because I'm in Canada.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Fergie,
Not sure if you can use this link, but thought it worth a try:
Http://www.syfy.com/videos/Destination%20Truth/Full%20Episodes

Val
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Miracles 😭, now see what you made me do!

I shall have to get my hubby's friend to see if he can download some episodes from the net. Between you and Rook, well my curiosity has really been piqued now! Gotta get me a dose of Destination Truth! Lol!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Thank you Val, for reading and your comment.

Strange to say, but yes, a lot of things that happen in America have a ripple effect on the rest of the world, even distant S. Africa. A lot of people in SA lost their jobs, some their homes, back in the '30s, due to the "Great Depression". Lives were changed because of it.

I too have heard strange stories about rigamortis and gasses in a corpse - some funny, some downright scary! πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Fergie - Destination Truth is one of Dalton and my favorite shows 😊 I think it's a travesty that everyone in the world doesn't have the opportunity to see it since they (Destination Truth team) goes every where in the world.

I'm at work πŸ˜‰. I'll make a real comment on your story later πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Gee! Thanks Rook for your time and trouble. That sounds like a program that I would have enjoyed.

We (as a family) still don't have Discovery Channel. So, there is no hope of even seeing a replay. I shall google the people and places you have kindly mentioned; as well as the phenomena, never heard of those either. We only have the Tokolosh here (to my knowledge). Further up in Africa, they have all sorts of beliefs that our local natives do not hold with.

Thanks again for your informative post Rook. I am off to broaden my education, thanks to you. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Very interesting! And educational too. I say that because until I read this story, I had no idea that the "Great Depression" we suffered in America had such far reaching effects, or at least for some reason I never made the tie between the events.
I do know that corpses can do some very strange things, due to gasses and the onset of rigamortis, so I can sympathize with Kurt. Poor fella!
I agree withRook, a really 'cool' experiance!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Its one of the Real World Investigative Shows on the Discovery Channel... There are 4 seasons on Netflix and you might find some on YouTube... The Host is Josh Gates, he takes a team to remote places and looks for all kinds of different things... Mostly Criptozoology (sp?) Creatures, in your neck of the woods they have tried to gather evidence on creatures like the Mamlambo, African island of Pemba which is reportedly haunted by the tortured spirits of former slaves, the Mokele-Mbembe in Zambia and ghost hunting in two abandoned mining towns, Humberstone and La Noria (which aired April 7, 2010 during Season 3).

There are many more episodes from around the world but I hope that is enough to show you what the show is about.

Thanks again for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Thank you Rook, for your comment.

I have never heard of Destination Truth, but remember, we here on the 'Dark Continent' are about 50 years behind... In some ways.

I am glad you found my narrative 'cool'. 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
If Destination Truth would have had this information when they did there investigation of these two mining towns they may have gotten even better results.

Thanks for sharing another really 'cool' experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: