You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Bizarre Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

A Bizarre Haunting

 

I never imagined that I would experience anything paranormal! To me, they only happened to other people, never realizing that they would occur to me. I have always read/ watched ghost stories, real or fictitious, enjoying that tingling sensation of fear after the story ended. But when it happened to me, I just did not know what to do.

In June 2001, my husband and I relocated from Kansas City, Missouri, to Tulsa, Oklahoma. My husbands company helped us choose a nice apartment from quite a big list. I fell in love with the site where the apartment complex was located. It was right next to the Arkansas River, surrounded by greenery and an amazing array of wild birds. We were shown a model apartment of the type that I wanted. We loved the layout and signed the deal.

The next day I told my husband I wanted to physically see the apartment we are renting. So back we went to the management office and asked for the keys. They were a bit put out, saying that it had just been vacated and was being cleaned, but I insisted and we were escorted to the building. This was on the third floor, and once inside, I felt really scared. The whole place had a look of being deserted for a long time, with HUGE black cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. I suffer from acute arachnophobia and this freaked me out! However, management assured that everything would be clean before our possession (I am sure they lied to us when they said it had just been vacated.)

In the beginning everything was fine. My husband had an early morning shift and would leave home by 4:30 am. After bolting the door, I would just go back to sleep. After about a month later, strange things started. Once I came back to bed in the morning, the blinds behind my bed would start swinging making a clacking noise that plastic blinds make. It was strange since only 2-3 blind would do it (right behind my head) and not the whole thing and would always start at the same time, like 4:45 am. I didn't realize it at first but I would get out of bed, turn the ac vent the other way, check if there was a heavy wind outside (not a leaf stirred in the trees!) However, I didn't think much about it.

Then a weird thing happened! One morning I was asleep, when subconsciously I felt someone feeling my arms, legs and face. It was as if a blind person was feeling someone just to see what that person looked like. I was so scared when I woke up fully and still felt that tingling sensation of touch on my ankles. When the sun was up, I dismissed it as a bad dream and went on with my daily chores. However, from then on, somehow I didn't feel alone in the house. And of course, after my husband left, I always left the lights on and never stayed in the dark.

Things were normal for quite a few months when strange things started. These would invariably happen when my husband was at home and always when we were sleeping. We would hear the dishes in the kitchen crashing down and breaking, making an awful sound. Thinking it were mice we would run to the kitchen, and find everything as we left them! Confused, we would blame it on the apartment next door to our bedroom for creating a ruckus. This happened multiple times (we later found out the apartment next door was unoccupied).

The next bizarre thing always happened in the fireplace. Once, a small bird had fallen down the chimney and its fluttering had spread old soot throughout the living room. To prevent such an incident, I had covered the opening of the fireplace with a thick transparent plastic sheet. From time to time, the plastic would bellow and flutter like as if a bird was trapped inside. Likewise, we would wake up, run like crazy to the living room to save the poor bird, and of course, there is no bird (and also there would be no wind outside).

The third weird thing that happened went on for months. Any kitchen knick knacks, like knives or scissors that my husband touched would disappear overnight! I always blamed him for being careless and untidy and he always denied it. But none of us actually realized that whatever was in the apartment was playing pranks with us. In fact, we still did not realize its presence. Whatever was in the house, just didn't like my husband at all!

In all the passing months, I still did not understand that our home was haunted. Like I said, it always happened to others... Then one afternoon in October, I was alone and reading at the dining table, when someone breathed down the back of my left shoulder. I was petrified! Just put my book down, got up, and left the apartment and wouldn't enter until my husband came home. But I didn't tell him anything.

From then on, I started sleeping less and less at night until I was suffering from insomnia. I would read or watch TV all night and only go to bed when the sun was up. Once I woke up around 10am, I left the apartment as soon as I could and started spending more and more time outside. It was not as if I felt threatened but feeling a presence and someone watching me at all times just unnerved me. I thought about changing apartments, but we would have had to pay a huge penalty as was in the rent clause. All this time, my husband knew nothing about it, since he was under a lot of pressure at work. All this time I would be wary in the evening and shrug it off in the morning as my hallucinations.

The living room and the kitchen was one big open area with just a 3 ft wall separating the two. The kitchen led off to the dining area where there was a door to the patio. In the living room, if I faced the TV, the kitchen would be in front of me and I could watch the patio door from the corner of my right eye. One January morning, around 2:30am, I was watching TV as usual in the living room. I just saw a movement, and I turned and was frozen in sheer terror! I saw a being, silvery white like a glowing thick fog, enter through the patio door, glide into the dining area, then into the kitchen about fifteen feet away from me. When it was momentarily hidden by the refrigerator, I shouted who is it? In fact, I was fully expecting it to come across the refrigerator towards me but thankfully nothing happened! I just sat there for a few more minutes, legs totally like jelly, with my mouth wide open, scared out of my wits. After some time, I ran to the bedroom, and plopped down by my sleeping husband, absolutely relieved that he was home. Needless to say, I still didn't tell him anything in the morning, and as usual dismissed it as a figment of my imagination and watching too much TV.

During this time, the sounds of the crashing dishes and the billowing in the fireplace still continued. They never happened when we were in the living room. And I continued to deny things to myself.

A couple of months later, I was tired for keeping so many late nights and my health deteriorated. I called it a night around 1:30 am. We had a spare bedroom leading off from the living room on the left side. While passing this room, I saw a black shrouded figure standing just inside the doorway. I just didn't stop to see but hurried to the bedroom and collapsed. As usual, in the morning in woke up and dismissed it too.

However, here comes a twist in the story...

The night before, I was cleaning out the kitchen and had left the lid off the flour bin by mistake. When I woke up in the morning and went into the kitchen, the first thing I noticed was the flour bin on the kitchen counter with the lid off. Glancing inside the bin, I saw a strange impression on the flour. It looked exactly like as if someone had taken a cross section of a nautilus fossil the size of the bin and pressed it into the flour for a totally flawless impression. I blinked a few times to reassure myself that I was not imagining it. There wasn't anything like that with us and the impression was too neat and flawless to have been drawn by hand. The only explanation that I could muster was that whatever was in the apartment was sending a sign saying that it existed and didn't want to be ignored...

Thank you all for reading my really long story. Many years later I met a psychic and I recounted the whole tale to her. She told me that the being was a lady (I could not tell the gender when I saw it only it was quite husky) and she was actually protecting me. According to her, the sign in the flour was a protection sign for me sent by the spirit. She did not like my husband and so anything he touched in my personal area (i.e. Kitchen) disappeared. Also, she didn't like to see us together, hence the crashing dishes and the fireplace sounds. It would be appropriate to mention that my husband turned out to be a very unsatisfactory person, and shortly afterwards I was divorced.

A few end notes:

In the middle of my ramblings, I had mentioned all the kitchen knick knacks my husband touched would disappear. When we moved again, the packers found all the missing knives and scissors laid out in a neat row in ascending order under some piles of grocery bags in a closet which we never used!

When we were moving, our neighbour next door (on the living room side) came in to say goodbye to me. We were never close but civil to each other. In fact, she confirmed what I had experienced was real and not a figment of my imagination. In her words: "How could you live in there with that Thing? It was always coming through your living room to my living room all the time!"

All I can say, is I was glad that I didn't need to spend another night there!

Other hauntings by Realistic

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Realistic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Satswarup123 (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-11)
Fantastic...best of the stories... But what's your nationality... Indian or American or European...
I liked your story... But how could you experience so many paranormals...
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-13)
Hi Badal,
Thank you so much for reading my story and "liking" it! 😁
badal (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-12)
it was one f the 1st story that I read in this site... My god... I read it at night 11 o clock... And my eye grasp into the windows... Felt like sum one watchin me through it... One of the best experience shared in this site... Thanx realistic 4 sharing it...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Dear Realistic,

I am grateful for the appreciation, but I know I am just a novice. Not much experience, so I really haven't helped anyone with my comments. 😳

Regards

Dear zzsgranny,

Thanks for taking the necessary step.

Regards
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Dear zzsgranny, please don't apologize! I feel really bad when people not responsible for an action apologizes...

Love how much patience you have (it does take a lot to rile you!) 😊

And I still think YGS is an amazing site with really great people!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Realistic: Once in a while, we get a little stray dark cloud drifting through. Thank you for your support, and I apologize for the recent bout of negativity. I'm glad you've stuck with us 😊
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
You are welcome, Sceptic-Ari, and I do love reading your comments...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Dear Realistic,

Thank you... For pulling us back to sanity.

Debtor
Sceptic-Ari
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Dear All, I just thought I need to add some of my views so instead of hijacking one of the threads, I am writing in mine...

I am a VERY private person and I hardly share my thoughts/ experiences with anyone except for close family members. When I started experiencing the paranormal, I didn't have much idea how to deal with it.

Then I discovered YGS.

This site has been attracting a lot of people seeking help/ advice because once we enter the site, we can feel the GOOD AURA (when most of us want to rid ourselves of the EVIL AURA affecting us.) I started reading the stories and ESPECIALLY the comments in YGS for quite a few years, before I thought what a great site this was to seek help/ advice in an arena where if you seek professional advice, you are either told that you are hallucinating, or certifiable, or depressed, or laughed at, and so on. (I am sure people who have experienced the paranormal would understand what I am trying to say!)

So one fine day (or rather evening), I signed up, uploaded my story and waited anxiously for the outcome. I was so happy at the POSITIVE attitude/ probes every comment showed. At last, I was relieved and glad that there were wonderful people out there and they were all helping me to understand and evaluate my experiences. I realized that I had taken the right decision.

However, for the last few weeks, I have seen a lot of NEGATIVE vibes in the site. In most stories, in the comments section, we are deviating from the real purpose of this site, i.e. To help the OPs who have posted their experiences for help and advice.

There are members in YGS who for years have been imparting really helpful advices and cleansings irrespective of religion. Some of these people (if we read their profiles) have had years of experiences dealing with the Paranormal. If we do not agree, I am sure we all know the language, tone and manner with which to disagree decently.

Most people who have had contact with the paranormal, are usually hesitant to share their experiences with everyone (even anonymously.) All I wanted to say is, if we do not have that POSITIVE ATTITUDE back in the comments, then a lot of people wanting to seek help/ clarifications, will probably stay away. (I would not have signed if I had been reading some of the recent comments...)

To zzsgranny, I just read your post and I know you have taken the right decision.

Thank you all for reading my views...
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Hi! Sorry for my late replies. I did tell my husband about it once we left the place. He was so scared, he just didn't speak for a couple of days (just chain-smoked!) Then, as usual, I got blamed for attracting the ghost in the apartment!

I was amazed once I realized that the ghost was actually protecting me. But frankly, I would have been happier if that was not the case and there was no haunting.

By the way, the name of the apartment complex was Westport. I had other friends/ acquaintances staying there but they never experienced anything. Sigh!
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-21)
Great story, thank you for sharing! Glad you could talk to the psychic who shed some light on the whole thing! I bet you were amazed at the fact that the ghost was protecting you!
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-21)
I live near tulsa and know the approx. Location your talking about. What was the name of the apartments. I have friends up there who would be interested to visit a real haunted place.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-21)
If I were in your shoes, I would have left so much earlier than when you left! I wouldn't know weather to be happy about the fact that someone was trying to protect me or have all those odd feelings. Did you ever tell your ex - husband what happened in that building before or after the divorce?
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Very interesting story here, Realistic. I would've upped and moved straight away! You sound very brave for sticking there as long as you did!
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Realistic (7 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Thank you for liking my story. I really appreciate your comments. I realize now I should have asked my neighbor about her experiences, but then, I was actually Happy and Relieved at the same time. Happy to leave the place and Relieved that they were no hallucinations on my part!

Rockangel13, at no time did it feel like a guardian angel, but more like a spirit that really took an interest in its surroundings. When I first saw the apartment, it had a totally abandoned look. Years later, I thought, maybe it had been lonely for quite some time and just took a liking for me...

There was another incident I forgot to mention in the story. I am an arachnophobic and would not stay in a room where I spot a spider. Since this apartment was right next to the river, it had a bad infestation of spiders, especially fiddlebacks and brown widows (spiders like their surroundings to have some moisture.) Weekly sprayings could not curb them. Later, while cleaning and vacuuming, I would find spiders lying around the corners or on the walls totally squashed. Like someone/ something took time to kill them by squashing. I still don't know how to interpret this...
realndn (2 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
which apts. In tulsa was it? I work at river spirit casino. Ithink your white gjhost was good and the black one was bad. Two different spirits
rockangel13 (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-19)
Very nice and well-written story. But were you able to figure out why the apparition was there? Was she (it) a guardian angel or something like that? Anyway, very good
Story.

Rockangel13
Argette (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
I usually try not to be the first to comment on a story, because my knowledge of such things is limited to a few isolated experiences, mostly noises and aromas. But your story is fascinating, Realistic. Taken individually, there could be a logical explanation for many of your experiences. But when viewed as a whole, they add up to some very frightening occurrences. It is interesting that the entity that lived with or visited you also visited your neighbor. It would be interesting to learn more about her experiences.

Thank you for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: