You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Chanting In The House

Real Ghost Stories

Chanting In The House

 

This is a series of incidents that have been spread over the past three months, following the death of a very close relative. While the death did not occur in the apartment where I stay, my husband and I were at the death, the funeral and subsequently part of the rituals.

Ever since we returned from the funeral, I've had disturbed sleep. Not always unpleasant dreams/nightmares (though there have been nights when I've woken up with a bad dream), I've been waking up around the same time - somewhere between 3:00 to 4:30 a.m. What I do feel on waking up is the presence of several people (it's the strongest in our living room) who are speaking among themselves. The first couple of nights, it sounded like low murmurs/people talking, but subsequently I had the feeling of chanting in low voices, say the way one would a recite a hymn/tell beads. At no point do we feel threatened, or that there is a negative presence.

Since I was uncomfortable with this feeling (and disturbed nights didn't augur well at work!), I had a tarot card reader come in. Just to ensure that no way did my thoughts influence her, all I mentioned was there I had the feeling that there were people in the house.

These are her findings:

- Yes, the incidents are related to the death of that family member. According to her, the person wanted to spend more time with us while alive, and the sudden death denied her of the opportunity.

- There are spirits; however they are not malicious/intend harm.

- They are indeed reciting/chanting something; to her mind it is part of a holy text.

- She says that the deceased family member's spirit needs to cross over, and the spirits chanting are helping her stay on.

What I need help with is this:

- How do we help the soul cross over?

- How do we have the spirits leave?

Other hauntings by lookingforanswers

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lookingforanswers, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-08)
Well I would like to say on behalf of our indian friend hotrod as I feel he is too narrow minded in his thinking and he doesn't recognise when a person from particular country or sect etc say something in world forum mostly people will take as these country people or citizen or sects are like the person who have said his view or opinion. Pls understand when you say something on public forum or something outside your country you represent your country or sect and that makes lot of difference. And anyways it's nice story and you can try lighting candle or lamp in the hall and pray the soul see the light and Ross or.
raj89m (21 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-08)
I know of various methods used since ancient times to free spirits who are still wandering in this world. If anyone needs help in such case, feel free to contact me via email. I will advise you according to your respective religions.
bambam (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
I would suggest prayer or whatever your religion offers to help the dead got the proper real... I wish you well.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-01)
Dearest ari,
Im so proud of you. That you hzve decided to not to stoop so low. I love you.
Peace
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-01)
Ari,

You actually have Gracefully Proven what I thought to be true.

Lookingforanswers,

I hope we have not been to much a distraction from your experience and that somewhere with-in the conversation that has happened you found the answers you needed.

Respectfully,

Rook

(picks up picnic rug and popcorn as returns to the Bus)
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-31)
Dear Rookdygin,
I am sorry I was unable to satisfy your curiousity, but Miracles51031 seems to be correct and I seemingly am derailing the comments.
So I shall finish here with this thought that though I do not know what ancestry hotrod13's family belongs to and I really do not care, but if his heart really belongs to India, and not some religious jumble, then he also can be called an Indian.

Sorry folks. This is my last comment here.
Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-31)
Dear hotrod13,

The only thing I can say to your Ignorant Baseness is that *sigh* I don't want to stoop to your level, Your Travesty... So if you want to really get at it again, come to my story, so that we may not interrupt the constructive thought process here.

Dear friends,
I apologise for wasting your time here.

Regards
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
Sceptic-Ari - if you decide to respond to Hotrod's comment, would you do it on your story? That way we can try and get the discussions back on topic here. Thank you 😊
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
Just googled 'human sacrifice bengal', read some of the items and now goes sit next to Rook and Valkricry...
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
Sits quietly next to Rook and whispers, "I don't like the turn this is taking. It makes me sad..."
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
Wow! I never thought I'd see the 'cast system' in action...But...

Human Sacrifices...REALLY?

I can't wait to see what Ari is going to say concerning that. A learning experience indeed.

Respectfully,

Rook
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Rookdygin,
I don't believe you were trying to cause any rather it was me who was not behaving very maturely.
No offence taken as you said nothing against hinduism. Technically speaking term hinduism is a misnomer. One branch of hinduism is as varied from the other as eg islam is from say buddhism.
Even I felt that you are quite eastern oriented and I like it very much.
Ari,
Im sorry but as you are abengali I don't consider you mainstream indian. Bengalis are of mixed indo chinese stock who practice black magic and offer meat of sacrificed animals to their deity which is kali mata.
I don't think your race is much spiritual as you still offer human sacrifices. Still I respect your views and welcome your comments.Thanks
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Sorry lookingforanswers that I seem to have taken the conversation away from your ordeal...but

The first thing I would like to say is Hinduism is not the only religion in India and neither is it the state religion...rather, India has no state religion unlike many other nations.
Thus Hindus are not the only residents of India. We have the followers of Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, and many more. We have Jews, Nature worshippers, and my limited knowledge prohibits me from listing more.

So, my only request is that the following kind of a statement should not be made, which I quote:
"Its a christian/islamic belief. Its alien to India."
OR
"Like westerners have no qualms about eating meat, but its a sin for indians. An indian would say that eating meat is like eating ones own body because one god is in all beings."

I believe that these are Hotrod13's beliefs, and I respect them, but to say that all Indians have these beliefs would be a travesty.

Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
Dear Friends,

With no personal grudge against anyone, I would beg to state that our friend Hotrod13, though he does not intend to I am sure, is spreading a lot of misconception, albeit inadvertently methinks, about India and Indians, all because of simple generalising.

Although I have never proclaimed that I am a learned scholar, I also have a little knowledge about India, since I am an Indian.

Feel free to reply...

With utmost respect to Hotrod13...

Regards
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
valkricry, zeta, Thank you both for your words of understanding and explanation.

Hotrod,

I did not mean to cause a misunderstanding. My point was not to call Hinduism a 'Pagan' Religion, far from it as it is much older than Christianity and while I may be unfamiliar with certain terms and the Names of the Deities I RESPECT the philosophy Hinduism Teaches and have to admit there are times I feel Eastern Cultures / Religions actually understand the 'Cycle of Life' much better than many in the 'WEST' (I have been told by many people I have a more 'EASTERN' approach to things when it comes to the paranormal, not sure how 'true' that is but I have been told that).

The point I was trying to make was about Prayers/Spells and how they can basically be the same thing... And can be 'good' or 'evil' depending on the individuals 'intent' when they are 'used/who' they are directed towards.

Respectfully,

Rook
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Thank you,valkricry.To anyone reading my posts it would definately appear I'm annoyed with rook, but I'm least annoyed or angry with him. I have great respect for rook. I wouldn't be angry with anyone and I don't have any reason to be. I am full of infrailities myself so who I am to judge anyone?
I can be wrong again but our holy book says there is no sin only error, look to the future, the past is dead, be positive and allways remain cheerfull, be like the Sun.
Om shanti.T
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Hotrod:

We are never too old to learn... In fact I strive to learn something new each day so it is very interesting to learn of other's cultures, beliefs, religions, etc.

Zeta.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Hotrod - of course you're forgiven! When cultures and beliefs differ there's bound to be misunderstandings. And it is very easy to 'misread' what someone else says. Even when it's written in your own language, let alone a second language. That's why it's important to ask questions and clarify things. And I am sorry if I sounded as if I was coming down on you. That was not my intent at all. I just 'felt' you were angry/annoyed with Rook and I did not want it to esculate. I was honestly just trying to help you see what I took him to be saying. He too is just trying to come to an understanding.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Dear zeta and valkricry,
Im sorry for being so insensitive. Hope you forgive me.
I have not heard about banatami black magic, as its not practiced in north india. Where I live.
Some indo chinese do believe in black magic but it is of chinese origin, not of indian origin.
What I meant was there are no satanists in india because satanism is a western term, not an eastern one. We don't have a term for satan in indian language. Its a christian/islamic belief. Its alien to india.
Western thought belief system bend towards duality, eastern philosophy believes duality is an illusion.
So take it easy. There are massive differences in our individual systems.
I can be wrong but the western peoples aim of life seems to very different from thier eastern counterparts. Like westerners have no qualms about eating meat, but its a sin for indians. An indian would say that eating meat is like eating ones own body because one god is in all beings.
Its possible that evil can be prayed to. But we don't practice it
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Hotrod...I think you are putting all of us Westerners in a general group which I do think is a bit unfair. There are many people, even on this site, who do know a lot about Eastern spirituality. Also... How would you really know that there is not one single satanist in India? Stereotyping in my opinion leads to closed minds and closed spirits. Now I mean no disrespect to you at all.

I would like to point out that the O/P is from India and visited a tarot card reader to find out that these spirits do not mean harm.

Zeta.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Dearest Lookingforanswers,
I am thinking that your relative just wants to be sure that you are ok. You might keep a journal of the dreams you and your husband have been having to see if there is a common theme or thread in them. A message could be hidden in them.
You could also try speaking aloud to her. Tell her everything is alright and that she can go. I think the chanters will leave with her.
Condolences on your loss.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Dear Hotrod,
I think perhaps you read too much into what Rook was saying. I do not believed he was inferring Hindus are 'pagans', he was simply breaking things into 3 groups for easier illustration. He only named 3 groups; Pagans, Christians, and Satanists. Well, that leaves many religions out in the cold so to speak. For example, Jews believe in God, but not that Christ was the messiah. So they are not Christian, Pagan, or Satanists. Catholics are considered Christian, but we do have our Saints that we ask to help us. See where I'm going? His point was that evil as well as good can be'prayed' for.
Now, I have a sincere question for you or anyone else who might be able to shed light. You stated that, "We don't even have a single satanist in india." What then are practioners of banamati or black magic as my understanding of the word is? Are they not the equivalant of the western 'satanist'? If not how is it different? Really trying to understand here.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
We don't have a single evil entity in hinduism. When we pray we are praying to the heavenly father. Though we may appear to be praying to idols, are prayers reach God. We are just maligned by other religons who want to project themselves as nearer to god.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Rookdygin,
We are not pagans and there's no satan in hinduism.
We don't have evil prayers like in the west.
You don't really understand hinduism. We may worship a million idols but we see the same god in each of them and in every living being.
You are a typical westerner who has little knowledge about our spirituality.
We don't even have a single satanist in india. Nor are we pagans. We worship the same god which jesus worshipped
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Hotrod,

'Chanting' (which is what the O/P says they heard) does not always equal prayers... They also mentioned it may have been a hymn (a type of song).

Having said that you also have just stated this...

"I mean I really don't understand how prayers by other souls can stop the soul from crossing over, au contraire prayers HELP in crossing over."

Even if those 'Prayers' are to 'the Devil' or an 'evil entity'? I 'feel' Prayers are a way of communication between the Physical Realm and the Spiritual Realm and in a 'sense' they can be considered 'spells'...

Let me Explain...

A 'Pagan' (term used loosely for illustration purposes) 'casts spells' and asks that their 'Gods/Goddesses' grant them certain 'outcomes' to situations in their life.

A 'Christian' will 'Pray' to Heavenly Father and ask for certain outcomes to situations in their life.

A Satanist will 'Pray' to Satan and ask for certain outcomes to situations in their life.

Differences? For the most part its 'WHO' is being 'Called upon/Prayed to'.

So Prayers can be directed to 'evil entities' as well as good ones. However this is my... MY OPINION.

Lookingforanswers,

You stated this about the chanting...

"I had the feeling of chanting in low voices, say the way one would a recite a hymn/tell beads. At no point do we feel threatened, or that there is a negative presence."

There are many people here at YGS that will tell you to go with your 'gut' feelings when it comes to the 'true nature' of any Spirits/Entities we may encounter in our lifetimes... So there is EVERY chance that the presence you have felt is NOT NEGATIVE NOR MALEVOLENT.

I can offer a Cleansing and Shielding Method if you would like thought in this case it does not seem to be needed.

Respectfully,

Rook
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
I mean I really don't understand how prayers by other souls can stop the soul from crossing over, au contraire prayers HELP in crossing over.
I think the souls in question are praying to help you spiritually and otherwise.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Lookingforanswers,
Spirits that pray and that too at amrit vela i.e_3am,have traditionally been thought of as good souls. Are you sure the tarot reader was correct in her observations? I think you just alarmed for no reason. I can be wrong though
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Learning GOOD, Discussion GOOD. Interesting topic as well.

Lookingforanswers please let us know if you want us to take this discussion elsewhere and that can be done.

Ari,

Thanks for the info, some of that I had infered, but its nice to KNOW what each thing really is.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-27)
Clarified butter as a fuel? Never, in a million years would I have thought of that. Simply amazing.
I have seen the earthern lamps as Air describes them, and now I know their proper names 😊.
Lookingforanswers: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. But, I truly wish to understand, and perhaps help. (And I could not resist the lure of learning!)
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-27)
Valkricry,jyot is an earthen lamp with a cotton wick, clarified butter is used as fuel.
Rookdygin,
To answer the last part of your query, a ghost can be exorcised by ANY method one is comfortable with, irrespective of the ghosts cultural background. Atleast that's what I believe and is my experience.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: