You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Is My Family Speaking To Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My Family Speaking To Me?

 

Although I have viewed this site numerous times as a guest, I have finally gotten up enough courage to share my story.

As a bit of background, my mother's family is completely Hungarian, and it has been a longstanding "joke" that we have "gypsy blood" in our veins and have some type of paranormal abilities. My father's family is Italian, and even though my father is the most logical man I have ever known, he still makes occasional references to the "evil eye" and evil curses.

I was 19 years old when my beloved maternal grandfather passed away. My immediate family is not Catholic, but my grandparents were, and as such believed in purgatory. About a month after he died, I had a dream that I was in my grandparents' house with the rest of my extended family. Someone there told me to check on my grandfather in the den. In the dream I walked to the den but couldn't go in because the door was closed. At that point, my "dream self" split into two, and I watched myself open the door and go into the den. I never saw or heard anything in the den, but then suddenly I came back out, was my whole self again, and went back to the kitchen with the rest of my family. I then told my family that my grandpa was fine, was where he was supposed to be, and that he said to tell them all they didn't have to worry anymore. When I told my mom about this dream, she began to cry and told me that the day before was a Mass for my grandfather to help his soul out of purgatory and move on. I had no idea. That dream shook me for quite a while, but my mom and my aunts all believed that my grandfather truly was communicating with me.

I've had a handful of dreams about my grandfather in the nearly 20 years since he passed away, and nearly all have been in times of trouble or worry. In some he told me things that then came true. With all of that happening over several years, my aunts have told me that I have "the gift."

In April 2011, my maternal grandmother passed away. I did not have any real dreams about her that I think were anything more than that, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed.

In July 2012 I lost my mom. I still struggle with the loss and miss her terribly. Remembering the experience I had with my grandfather (her dad), I desperately wanted her to visit me in a dream and tell me she is OK. I have had clusters of dreams about her in the last several months. In most of them she is almost translucent, and she has never spoken. In one of the most vivid she is hovering around my brothers and I as we eat dinner, and I ask her, "do you know you are gone?" She doesn't speak but nods yes. I ask if she is in heaven and she nods again. I want so much to believe that was her, but it was so different from my experience with my grandfather I don't know what to think. I also know the power of suggestion is real, and wanting to have a dream could have influenced me to do so.

Oh, and as an added note, one morning I was walking from my parking garage across the street to my office. I was lost in thought and missing my mom, lost in my own grief. I had a very sudden flash of my grandparents in my head and could smell my grandmother's perfume like she was standing next to me. I was about to step off the curb to cross the street but stopped abruptly at my weird experience. Not 5 seconds later a bus went flying by. I think my grandparents were watching me that day and trying to warn me about that bus.

I've also had some other weird experiences throughout my life but won't share them on this post.

I know this is long but do appreciate your thoughts on whether I do have a "gift" or am just wishful thinking. And also, with all of his daughters and sons open to his communicating, why would my grandfather choose me?

Other hauntings by DestinyGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DestinyGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Thank you all for your kind comments. I've always felt comforted by feeling like my grandfather is around me and communicating with me in some way, and I'm sure as time goes by I will feel the same way about my mom!
JustSomebody (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-27)
DestinyGirl I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. My mother passed away in 2009 and I was only 24 years old.

I was never close with her but it really came hard. I am not going to sugar-coat it for you but the miss and pain will get a lot worse for a periode. I really suggest you talk about it with those in your social circle, let them know how you feel even after a few years. For them life goes on as normal where you might feel differant about many things. A lot of people turned their back to me and my family when it happened, as they just didn't knew how to behave towards us. This really felt like a knife in the back, and I hope you coop better with it.

I'm sorry I couldn't advice anything about your paranormal encounter, I don't have the ability or knowledge to tell you what's correct or not. I just wanted to offer a gesture of support. My thoughts are with you and I wish you all the best!
Andreaa11 (54 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-27)
I am very sorry for your losses. What hit me so strongly is your similarities to myself! I come from Hungarian stock on my mothers side also, and my great-grandfather was reputed to be a gypsy! My mother and I also share the same olive skin. I also had a dream about my maternal grandfather telling me " Its ok I'm still alive" and put my hand on his heart and I felt it beating. So I feel your pain when you experience these dreams. They are comforting yet frustrating. The fact that you felt protected from that bus by your family is wonderful! There are so many near-misses and close calls in my life when I have to stop and wonder if there is some spiritual intervation. I really loved your story, thank you so much for sharing!
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
DestinyGirl:
I believe that there are people who are more "sensitive" than other people... Who have a "gift" if you will. People call it many different things and it totally depends on what you are comfortable with. I am sensitive to paranormal, my mother was and so was some other members of the family. I also believe that most, if not all, people have the ability but just choose not to or have such a closed mind and set of beliefs that their mind refuses them to sense. So, with what you have stated, I do believe that you do have a gift for sensing things that many people don't.

Yes, the mind can be a suggestive thing but honestly, in my heart, I believe you are sensing your mother around you just as you have your grandfather and grandmother. I empathize with your loss, my mother and father both have passed. I have had both come through to me in dreams as well as other ways.

I also believe that your grandparents were the reason that you were not hit by the bus. When you are in doubt, look deep into your heart and ask yourself what do you believe. Many times our skeptical minds overwhelm our believing hearts. I always believe my heart. I also talk to my loved ones and many times I feel as if they are listening.

Lastly; I believe that your grandfather may have chosen you but probably has also tried with other family members and like I said, many people choose not to see.

Good luck to you. Zeta.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
I will leave any comments about the what's and why's regarding your experience to those more knowledgeable than me. But, I wanted to offer you my dearest condolences in the loss of your mother last year. My own mother is getting up there and one of my closest friends. One day I will probably be without her and know I will grieve terribly. My thoughts are with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: