You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Basements...who Needs 'em

Real Ghost Stories

Basements...who Needs 'em

 

When I was 16 and living with my dad and step-mom, my younger brother moved out and lived with my mom for a time so I decided I wanted to take his room downstairs. This was quite a feat for me considering I hate basements with a fiery passion but I figured I would give it a shot.

My step-mom had this house built and had only been living in it for about a year before she married my dad and we moved in. The basement only had two bedrooms finished in the back part for my step brother and I. I really didn't think of anything wrong when I decided to move into the basement.

Before I made the move, I would sit in the basement to do my homework and I always had the feeling of being watched. Sometimes it would creep me out and other times I just brushed it off and went about my business.

My brother had left his stereo and his tv in the room when he moved out and after I finished moving my bed and dresser downstairs I had no desire to move my tv and my stereo that night so I just left them there. I ended up falling asleep and then waking up at 2 in the morning to my little brother's stereo clicking on and off. It was just clicking, no music playing it was like someone was sitting in front of the stereo just pressing the on and off button over and over again. I grabbed the remote and pressed the power button, nothing happened. So I got up and walked over to the stereo and pressed the power button, nothing happened it just kept clicking. Finally I was so beyond irritated that I just kicked the stereo and wound up going back to sleep.

After that I noticed random temperature changes in my room. It would go from ice cold to extremely hot in a matter of seconds and depending on which part of the room you were in at that time. For the most part I just shrugged them off and didn't think about it.

For Christmas my dad and step-mom went all out and got me a TV with a DVD/VHS combo built in. I was super excited and after I got back from visiting my mom we decided to hook it up. So that night I was chillin' in bed watching tv and almost asleep when my tv shut off. I didn't set a sleep timer or roll over onto the remote so that was when I started to get a little confused. I grabbed the remote and pressed the power button, the tv didn't come on, the remote had brand new batteries. So after getting frustrated that my new tv may be broken, I sat up turned the light on and pressed the power button on the tv. The tv came on but then continued to turn itself on and off over and over again. I walked upstairs and let my dad know what happened and he told me to try another outlet. So I plugged my tv into another outlet and tried turning it on, the same thing happened. I told my dad again and he said well there is probably a short in the tv and offered to take it back the next day to exchange it.

Happy with the answer I went back downstairs and decided to listen to music. When I turned my stereo on it started changing discs randomly, playing a song for a second and then switching the songs. After that I had a minor freak out and unplugged all of my electronics and slept upstairs. After that night I moved upstairs and had no further issues with my tv.

My little brothers were into Motocross and would go to race in Tooele, I refused to go to these races because I would get bored and my parents didn't want to put up with me. My parents usually didn't get home until around 12am or 1am so I would be home by myself or go hang out with friends. My aunt could not have a dog where she was living so we ended up dog sitting Sadie for her. While my parents were in Tooele, I stayed home watching tv and Sadie was lying on the floor sleeping when all of a sudden she jumped up and started growling, the fur on her neck was standing straight up. She stood there for about a minute and the bolted to basement door and started barking, when I got close to see what she was barking at she turned on me and started growling at me. I reached over her and grabbed the door and slammed it shut and locked it. Sadie stayed in front of the door until my parents got home.

My friend had spent the night so we were watching horrible B movies and eating popcorn when I got a call from a friend of mine who said our friend from school had died from an overdose, a little depressed we called it a night and went to bed. Again my parents were in Tooele with my brothers so we made sure everything was locked up and we were out. Well when my parents got home that night and my brother went down stairs to go to bed, the basement door that leads outside was open, I had made sure it was locked before I went to bed.

So because of the experiences I had in a house that was just built and no one had ever lived in it before, I believe it was the land that was haunted and not the house but any feed back would be great!

Other hauntings by Believer88

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Believer88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Piedpiper (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-29)
Tuesday: I LOVE Hanz Zimmer. Believer88: Awesome title:D and great story! Keep us updated?
Tuesdey (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I read this listening to scary music by Hanz Zimmer. Great idea for anyone who wants a chill down their spine!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
Wow, good story. Yeah, I had one like that, with the land haunted.
Believer88 (6 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
We actually moved out a year or so later because my dad's truck was broken into and the garage was way too small for his truck. I haven't checked with the county yet on what used to be on the land before the house was built but it is definitely on my to do list! Once I find anything I will post an update! 😊
Isabelle27 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-03)
That is really freaky! I agree that it sounds like the land is haunted, I would suggest you maybe go to your local records office to see what was there before your step-mums house?:) it might make whatever it is a little less creepy knowing what exactly it could be
alb15 (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-02)
well that was a really spooky story, I had goose bumps go on my back and a shiver down my spine, has anything else happened? Keep us updated! ❤

Keep yourself safe,

Alb15
Baronessie (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-02)
Wow very creepy experiences! Basements have always creeped me out. Are you still living in that house? There definitely sounds like you have a spirit in the house. If you are still living in the house have anything happened in the house? The spirit is mischievous it sounds like. Very interested in this though. Keep us updated! 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: