You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandpa At The Funeral Home

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandpa At The Funeral Home

 

I'm 16 years old. First experience was when my grandpa died in 2006. I was about 9 when I had to go to his funeral.

All my life I was afraid of my grandpa because of his deep voice. He would come over and I would hide. I was his first girl grandchild blood related from my dad. I felt really bad about this when he died.

My dad wouldn't let me see my grandpa's body. I sat alone in a room in the funeral home when I saw a light floating in the room. I was a little freaked out. Then it started to spread out into my grandpa's figure. I wasn't scared though. I apologized to him for always being scared of him and that I wish I could've said goodbye and I loved him. He just smiled at me, waved and vanished. My mom asked me who I was talking to, I said grandpa. She said that grandpa had gone to heaven. I told my mom that he did, but he was in this room to say goodbye to me. She went and got my dad. I told them what had happened, and my dad actually believed me. He told me my grandpa's father did the same when he died. I was happy that my grandpa said goodbye to me.

Later that day my grandpa was getting cremated which made me cringe, but my brother, sister and I were playing at the park a couple blocks away from the funeral home. We saw smoke rise in the sky, and I swore I saw my grandpa again in the smoke. I started crying and my dad held me, telling me that grandpa is just saying goodbye and that he loves me. I waved to him and said I love you Grandpa.

Later in the year his ashes were buried and My family went to visit his grave. My dad and I sat talking to him. I told my grandpa that I missed him and I love him more than anything. I put a picture of us on the grave from when I was just born, and a picture of him and my dad at a White Sox game since they were both huge White Sox fans. I told my grandpa if he was here to somehow show he was. All of a sudden a bird flew right next to his grave and looked at my dad and I, right in the eye. I don't know if this was just a bird or him.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hollybvb10612, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
Dearest Hollybvb,
I do not know if our departed loved ones return as birds, but I sincerely believe that they are often used as signs. Wild birds normally will not come close to humans, they tend to move away from us, so that bird was probably at the minimum a sign from Grandpa.
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
I truely believe this as I had expereinced with my bro when he passed away... When I was very sad I jsut wanted to know if he is doing fine where ever he was and I asked if he is fine to show some signs... And behold from the next room the transitor radio which was off sprang to life to sing his favorite song... So that bird showed that your grandpa is fine.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I really don't know to what extent the Lord allows those who have passed to communicate with the living, since it says in the word that to be absent from the body is to be with the Lord (unless you were never saved and that is to horrible to comtemplate) but also in the word it mentions those who had passed (not many times though so don't think they're just hanging out waiting for a seance) to be seen but always for the reason of strengthening the belief in the word, not for sentimental reasons. I know that the fallen angels are still like the angels of God in the aspect that they can impersonate humans and there are those who have followed you all your life and know you and remember everything you've done in your life more than you can so they can act like they are you and appear as you to a loved one in order to confuse non believers into false beliefs about The Lord, so its hard to tell. I don't see any reason though for the deepest desire of a loved one to convey a parting comfort to a loved one and let them know all is forgiven and that they still love them shortly after death not to be granted by God. But never doubt that all that was, is, or ever will happen has to happen only if it is the will of God for the better meant of those who love the Lord. Nothing happens willy nilly.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Loved ones who have passed show us they watch over us by sending birds, butterflies, dragonflies, flowers, and I have heard of others. My grandmother sent flowers. I don't necessarily believe they are 'reborn' as these living things, but that they those living things are sent as a sign of our departed's love. ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Hi hollybvb, I have a friend, who swears that both her mother and father (on separate occasions,) came back to 'look in' on her, in the form of birds. So, yes, I believe that it was your Grandpa giving you the sign you wished for.

Love transcends death, these things are possible.
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I had a similar experience. A dear departed was reborn as a bird. It would sit at my window sill and follow me around and come very close to me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: